1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Scratch Build – In Progress COMPLETED - Watercooled CarPC - November 12th. Danish CaseModding Champion! :)

Discussion in 'Project Logs' started by Angel OD, 20 Apr 2011.

1. jhanlon303

jhanlon303 The Keeper of History

6804 pounds(must be a record for a B-T mod) and only 38 12 volt lights inside. I'll fix that lighting. LEDs are the future.

john

2. BitHeroes

BitHeroes What's a Dremel?

Is there no problem with Watercooling in a moving vehicle? I'd presume you'd have to have it sealed up pretty damn tight?

3. mnpctech

mnpctech bit-tech sponsor

Love the cover design Angel :thumb: ...and curious what material you will chose for the loop :D

4. Angel OD

Angel OD Pump Killer

mnpctech <- Thx bill, I can reveal that it will not be clay! :lol:

More revelation should follow after the weekend I hope! :)

5. jhanlon303

jhanlon303 The Keeper of History

My God, It's full of stars. finally

6. Angel OD

Angel OD Pump Killer

Finally!

We've been so busy at work that I didn't feel like staying late to do some modding!

First's first. I did a little "beta testing" while driving to my parents summerhouse in Sweden last weekend. It worked flawlessly, except for a bit of heating. Fixed it with an extra ghetto rigged fan.

The back seat folded down:

[​IMG]

Internet working as well. I had a little problem with the resolution there, but that's fixed. Not easy to play with setup on a touchscreen! :lol:

[​IMG]

To the manufacturing part. Which I now is all you B******s care about! :lol:

I made the holders for the reservoir. I'm not gonna explain it in details but it will be two aluminum tubes. I was going to go with glass tubes but can't seem to find it anywhere. Pictures will of course follow soon! :)

In process:

[​IMG]

Two holders done:

[​IMG]
    Now for something completely different! The cpu block.

In all it's glory and bulginess:

[​IMG]
    Waterpattern milled. Needs a bit of grinding on the edge:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Most of the outside done:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

That's it for now. I'm off work on monday, so I think I might go to get something more done! :thumb: C ya then! :)

Last edited: 18 Sep 2011
  7. bulldogjeff

bulldogjeff The modding head is firmly back on.

Wow, that is some sweet looking handy work. I think you're right to go with the metal tubes for the res, I don't think I'd be happy knowing that there's a chance that the glass ones could break.

8. Angel OD

Angel OD Pump Killer

bulldogjeff <- Thanks m8! :thumb:
    Yeah, I believe you're right. And as a second plus aluminum tubes also helps with the heat! :)

Didn't get much done today, monday is a national holiday so I'll get cracking then! :)

I shall leave you with a pic of the top that has been sanded:

[​IMG]

9. bulldogjeff

bulldogjeff The modding head is firmly back on.

Exquisite. That's the only word I can find to describe this.

10. voigts

voigts What's a Dremel?

That looks fantastic. You do some very nice work.

11. AnG3L

AnG3L Ultimate Modder

Fantastic job buddy, now put a small ball there, drill a hole and play lolz ;) I had to tease you I couldnt resist!! ;) Mod on homonym friend :)

12. Waynio

Waynio Relaxing

Good grief that looks extremely awesome Angel :clap::thumb:.

You seriously rock at making water blocks :thumb: & pretty much everything else :D.

13. Shayper09

Shayper09 Swimming in Deionized.

Wow.

Can you do me a custom CPU block please? :):):)

14. Cheapskate

Cheapskate Insane? or just stupid?

I love you! I really do!:D

-Glass tubes: Go shopping for some sturdy drinking glasses, Find someone with a tile saw, and slowly cut the bottom off the glass you pick. You can face the top edge the same way. :D

15. Angel OD

Angel OD Pump Killer

bulldogjeff, voigts & Waynio <- Thanks a lot guys! I try my best! :)

AnG3L <- Don't push me, I might just try to find a small 3mm ball and upload a video of it! :lol:

Shayper09 <- I gotta admit I'm flattered, but I have to say no. I have too many projects as it is, and if I did all the stuff people ask me about I'd have to quit my dayjob! :) And where would I mod if I didn't have that? :lol:

Cheapskate <- That sounds like an accident waiting to happen! :lol: But then again, I'm not used to work with glass... I actually tried to get in contact with a company that is really cheap and who sell glass tubes in pieces... They never got back to me though, so aluminum it is! :thumb:
    Oh, and the tubes were only going to be 22-24mm in diameter... Very small drinking glass! :lol:

As I mentioned, it's a national Danish holiday tomorrow so I hope to get to work and mod on!

16. Achron

Achron Cad Pro Quo

Wait...I'm confused. How is the water flowing in that block?

17. Waynio

Waynio Relaxing

I admit I thought the same when first looking at it but like a maze you will see :).

Very simple, the upper left of the picture where the first channel starts water goes in or out & the one next to it goes in or out it looks a really awesome design to me.

In fact possibly the best water block I've seen, but the one in the wii mod was awesome too.

18. Achron

Achron Cad Pro Quo

I'm not confused by how it works...I'm confused by how it's supposed to perform well. If you're simply running one channel of water from one end of the outside of the block to the other end of the outside of the block, this is far from an optimal design.

That was the intent of my question. If this is a CPU block, I would presume that a more optimal configuration would be flowing from inside (where the cores are) out, with multiple channels.

Regardless, I'm surprised how you didn't have trouble with chattering in such a deep, narrow pocket. What's the width of the channel and the width of the end mill you used?

19. Waynio

Waynio Relaxing

D'oh :D I must have been in simpleton mode thinking an engineer like you was asking that :blush::hehe:.

20. Angel OD

Angel OD Pump Killer

Achron <- I'm not going to argue with you there. :) I argue with engineers every day at work, but they are mostly wrong when I do that! :lol:

There are many ways my block in generel probably are not as well at transporting heat as the ones you buy in stores. But they have all worked very well and I hope this one does too. :)

As for running water from the center and out, it's a very difficult thing on this particular block. As to why this is, will be revealed soon! :)

On with a small update.

First thing's first, this is for AnG3L. Sorry about the quality, but my cellphone is not great at doing video close up! :)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9__EUWqK_8A

Don't know how to run it, so sorry, click the link! :)

Then for the update:

Just to show that The_Gnu is not the only one who can play with cuttingwheels... What a mess :lol: :

[​IMG]

But definately worth it!

[​IMG]

Remove excess aluminum when the inlet/outlet is going to be:

[​IMG]

Result:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Only a couple of holes missing - These will come during the week!

[​IMG]

That's it for now, I shall catch you soon! :)