1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Windows The cost of computer games fuelling piracy...

Discussion in 'Gaming' started by feathers, 14 Jul 2011.

1. LennyRhys

LennyRhys Fan Fan

False premise - theft is taking something that you haven't paid for, whether it's a copy or the original.

Copyright law people... read it.

2. smc8788

smc8788 Multimodder

But under UK law you wouldn't be charged with theft, you would be charged with copyright infringement, which is a civil matter not a criminal one. They're two very different things.

3. fdbh96

fdbh96 What's a Dremel?

Buy an iPad as the most I've ever paid for a game on there is £3 (worms Armageddon)

4. IronDoc

IronDoc What's a Dremel?

Yeah no matter whether you condone it (which I don't generally), piracy is theft in neither legal nor practical terms.

5. LennyRhys

LennyRhys Fan Fan

Splitting hairs - theft is theft whether you call it copyright infringement or stealing, and that's precisely why copyright law is in place. If there was nothing to steal, why would there be such a law?

6. Krazeh

Krazeh Minimodder

Seriously do we have to do the 'is piracy theft or not' discussion again? It's been done to death so many times and it always ends up the same way. There's never going to be an agreement about the matter and some people are always going to insist that it's theft regardless of anything that is discussed.

Because there's things to copy, hence the name 'copyright'.

7. LennyRhys

LennyRhys Fan Fan

And people are always going to insist that it's not theft, to make them feel better about doing it.
    That's stupid - copyright is in place not to prevent copying but to prevent illegitimate coyping, which is theft. If somebody takes one of my photographs and doesn't pay for a licence, I still have the original but they have made a copy illegitimately which equates to having stolen a copy. Not theft? Lol.

8. Krazeh

Krazeh Minimodder

Or because it's simply not theft and some people can actually make that differentiation without condoning the act. Piracy can be seen to be bad without turning it into something different than what it is you know.

9. GeorgeStorm

GeorgeStorm Aggressive PC Builder

It's still taking something which isn't yours, since you didn't have permission to copy it, so it sounds like theft to me.
    In the end doesn't really matter, still wrong. (not that I'm innocent)

10. Krazeh

Krazeh Minimodder

So if i were to come round to your house in the middle of the night, somehow create an exact copy of your car and then drive off in said copy i'd have stolen your car?

11. GeorgeStorm

GeorgeStorm Aggressive PC Builder

Since thats not possible, it's a terrible analogy.

12. LennyRhys

LennyRhys Fan Fan

It is a ridiculous analogy indeed, but a common "defence" lol. It's worth mentioning this for clarification:

When you buy a car, you buy THE CAR. When you buy software, you do not actually buy "the software" but rather A LICENCE TO USE THE SOFTWARE. If you use the sofware without buying the licence, you have effectively stolen it.

13. smc8788

smc8788 Multimodder

But it does illustrate the fundamental difference between piracy and theft. While it may be a crude analogy, you can't go round calling something theft just because you think it should be, or because it seems right. That's why we have different laws for different things.

14. dancingbear84

dancingbear84 error 404

If you copied my number plate, then put it on your car you have stolen my identity, thus theft. The clue is in STOLEN, as in taken without permission!

15. markbrett64

markbrett64 thanks to denial I am now immortal

So the basic premise of the OPs argument is that the staff at game development companies need to make amazing games while earning virtually no money from their jobs?

16. Krazeh

Krazeh Minimodder

As smc8788 the point of the analogy was to illustrate the difference between piracy and theft using a very simple situation. The fact that it's not possible to create an exact copy of a car while it's sitting on a driveway is inconsequential to the point of the analogy.

17. Dwarfer

Dwarfer What's a Dremel?

As posted on the previous page...

The action or crime of stealing is taking another persons property without intent to return the goods.

By definition, it is WRONG to call it theft as stealing what the developers/publishers already had (were paid to make the game) and then saying piracy is theft which is the profit they make from selling the game is not tangible.

18. dancingbear84

dancingbear84 error 404

I disagree with the term property, identity theft is a theft that is not a property theft. Theft is taking something that does not belong to you without appropriate recompense, in my opinion that applies to software, films, music, my car or my dog.

19. feathers

feathers Minimodder

No but it's funny. He was joking and it's quite a funny one.

20. Krazeh

Krazeh Minimodder

And you're entitled to have your opinion but just thinking that something is theft doesn't make it so.