1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Other What's ruining your life right now?

Discussion in 'General' started by TheMusician, 28 Oct 2009.

1. BentAnat

BentAnat Software Dev

From someone that quit after 13 or so years without any medicinal background:
    I have quit 2 years ago, the missus a year and a half ago, the brother in law a year ago, and his wife as well. All of them ahve done it the same way.

Quitting comes in various degrees of difficulty. It was easy for me, and it made the missus of mine (who also quit after 10 years) almost unbearable enough to punch her... almost.
    That being said, there is ONLY one way of quitting: Cold turkey.
    Fact of the matter is that if you keep smoking e-cigs, using patches or gum, you're not killing the addiction. You're still feeding it.
    It's hard as hell for the first 3-5 days, and after that it's a matter of breaking the habbit, not so much the addiction anymore.

My advice:
    STOP! throw the e-cig out. Stop the patches and the gum. Otherwise keep smoking.
    Find friends that QUIT. Not friends that never smoked. Quitters know what you're going through, and can encourage you. this is important for the first few days.
    Break the habbit while the will is strong. That's to say go drinking while you're resolute to not start smoking again. That will make it easier later on.

3 days are hardest.
    3 Weeks later you have made peace with not smoking (most people have... mileage may vary)
    3 months later you still urge at times.
    3 years later I can't comment on (yet)

Steve @ CCL likes this.
  2. Steve @ CCL

Steve @ CCL CCL Tech. Support

I'll be honest that wouldn't work for me at all. My game plan is to use the E-Cig to get me off real cigs, that lets me tell my brain it's not the tobacco I crave it's the nicotine, you can buy E-Liquid in different strengths of nicotine, even nicotine free... So the plan is over the next 12 weeks lower the MG of Nicotine until I'm on none at all, then say to my self "So it's not the cigs... it's no longer the nicotine... wtf you playing at?!" and then throw out the E-Cig.

If it works it works.

BentAnat likes this.
  3. BentAnat

BentAnat Software Dev

Different approach to the same end. Long way round, really, but might be easier. Good luck. :)

4. Steve @ CCL

Cheers mate, it's been a long time coming tbh. I've smoked rollups since a wee age and I know it's nothing to be proud of but I can fly through a 50g packet of Golden Virginia in 4 days and now that the duty free stuffs getting harder to find £14 every 4 days is getting expensive. I also live in a 4 bedroom terrace house and 2 flights of stairs to my room shouldn't leave me out of puff at 23.. but unfortunately it does. I'm not sure how much I smoke a day as I just roll as required etc. but my co worker Nowell can make a 50g packet of tobacco last him 2 weeks... that kinda put things in perspective for me.

EDIT:

7 Days today on the E-Cig and my chest feels better. Put it this way 2 weeks ago I got my self a treadmill as I'm getting in shape again hoping to do a nice 8 month lean bulk ready for Body Power next year. But before bulking I want to do a quick cut now to save heart ache wasting muscle at the end of the bulk to loose some ab fat that I could burn now and maintain throughout.

I did 3 miles in 45 minutes and it almost ****ing killed me, 2 days ago I did a mile in 10 and if it wasn't for the fact that a friend of mine who runs decathlons and marathons for fun has told me to take it slow and steady I'd have happily carried on going. Also noticed this morning trying to rush about getting ready for work that I quite easily ran up and down stairs twice and wasn't even slightly out of puff.

This could all be in my head or it could really be the benefits of no longer smoking and "vaping" instead. Either way I'm benefiting placebo or otherwise.

Last edited: 26 Jul 2011
  5. stonedsurd

stonedsurd Is a cackling Yuletide Belgian

That's the idea for me too.

Cold turkey never works, because when I get trashed (every other weekend at Uni) I end up smoking. Also doesn't help that I have friends who smoke.

PS: BentAnat and Steve, how much do you smoke? I do around a pack every three days. Not healthy regardless, but most smokers I know do a lot more and say two packs a week qualifies as "occasional."

Also, what's odd is, I can go smoke-free for months without quitting. Whenever I'm home for vacations (summer being 3 months, winter being 3 weeks) I don't smoke and it's not a pain in the arse at all. Always struck me as weird.

6. Steve @ CCL

If you can stop for 3 months mate stop for good lol, I cant stop for longer than 60 mins my leg starts going after 30 mins!

7. [ZiiP] NaloaC

[ZiiP] NaloaC Multimodder

I'd be the same as you Sturd. I can easily go months without smoking, but put a pint and a pack of smokes in front of me and I'll horse my way through them.

Smoking was the only negative thing that I acquired during the army. "If you're a smoker, you're never cold, hungry or tired. So shut up and do your job" :D

I still enjoy the odd smoke here and there, but I really do want to see the end of them.

8. BentAnat

BentAnat Software Dev

I used to do a pack a day during the week. 3-4 packs between Friday afternoon and Monday morning.
    Knowing that cigarette packets are being reduced in capacity for some countries, that's 1 packet = 20 cigarettes. Mostly Camel Filter

9. Jake123456

Jake123456 Surprise!

My dad got put in the wrong taxing group, and is now having £500 a week taken out of his wages until he has paid them back, and now a loan company is taking him to court because he fell behind on payments and now they want our house.

If I ever catch that f***wit who f***** around and put people in the wrong tax group I will slice them a new one in there face.

10. Steve @ CCL

I think I'd easily be a two pack a day guy, not sure if I'd finish 40 but I'd easily do more than 20, it's mainly when I'm at the computer I loose track of time which makes me think it's been a while since my last smoke but it's usually not that long since the last one went out.

Not anymore though haharrr now I just smoke my Liberro Realis till the battery goes flat.. :duh:

11. mars-bar-man

mars-bar-man Side bewb.

I need to man up.

The relationship I'm in I'm not happy in, everything (for me) has just burned out now, I don't think "we're meant to be" etc...

I just need to find some balls to break it off. I get the feeling she knows it's gonna happen. But for some reason my testicles have ****ed off somewhere and I just can't seem to speak to her. Facebook/text/phone... nothing.

Ugh. Failure is me.

Also, I'm sat in a bright yellow Morphsuit.

12. Canon

Canon Reformed

I wouldn't encourage drinking too much during that time, it is shown that most smokers will light up a cigarette almost twice as many times when intoxicated in one form or another. After I've had a couple of beers anyone lighting up a cigarette goes straight to the top of my "Needs to be punched list" because it's far too tempting.

13. mars-bar-man

mars-bar-man Side bewb.

Well, I did it... Wasn't pleasant. She took it well though, hopefully we'll still be ok.

I'm still on the Morphsuit though...

14. Canon

Canon Reformed

I don't know about you, but I would be feeling pretty alpha right now....you know, sat in a morphsuit and all? :rock:

15. mars-bar-man

mars-bar-man Side bewb.

Haha, cheers... It's a little warm...

And a little tight...

16. SuicideNeil

SuicideNeil What's a Dremel?

Morons on ebay.

I'm selling some lipo batteries, guy makes me an offer, I tell him the minimum I will accept, he says okay.

I alter the auction for him ( change price + BIN ), then he says dont change the auction yet as he has to check/ confirm a few things before he is certain he wants to buy.

I tell him it is better to be certain you want to buy before negotiating a price and accepting it, just let me know how he wants to proceed.

Seriously, is everyone batsh!t retarded these days? Don't say you'll buy something and then say you have to check a few things, sellers don't like being dicked about. :sigh:

17. KayinBlack

KayinBlack Unrepentant Savage

Trying to program my Illuminato. PITA, I got hello world blinks, and no further.

18. EvilMerc

EvilMerc Minimodder

:eyebrow:

19. Apocalypso

Apocalypso Fully armed and operational.

Not being paid the overtime I'm due because my boss is a dick.

20. DeadP1xels

DeadP1xels Social distancing since 92

The person i usually speak to everyday has now been off for 4 nights.... well they are on facebook but like not active as sorts

Im not sure if i done something wrong but im bored out my mind just sitting here talking to all unintresting people...