1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Hardware Everise Variable Speed Rotary Tool Review

Discussion in 'Article Discussion' started by arcticstoat, 2 Aug 2011.

1. Yemerich

Yemerich I can has PERSUADETRON?

@ Wolverine: Hadooooouken!

@sotu, this site was born a casemodder site. Just look at the original writings under the names in the foruns. They go from "what's a dremel" (rotatory tool) to multimodder.

@article Really nice article! Too bad I live so far away to appreciate more those kind of articles.

Anyway, I had my dremel since it was single speed only. 37k RPM but with little torque. It still works. But recently, I had acquired a B&D RT *something* And I HIGLY recomend it! It is quieter, more torque and fully compatible with dremel accessories. And the grip is better too. The only complaint is that the RT is a little bit heavier...

2. Combatus

Combatus Bit-tech Modding + hardware reviews Lover of bit-tech Super Moderator

Unfortunately we didn't take any photos of the tests but there is more to the review than just listing the accessories. We used pretty much all of the accessories to see how up to the challenge they were on our test subjects - these included a steel case, rusty metal bar and lengths of steel rods and acrylic.

We also state how well the device cooled itself and how it was to handle both in normal tasks and more detailed work. We've actually looked at a number of the tools recently in our lab and we've got plenty of experience with using Dremel's models - we used these as references for the scores - hopefully they'll become clearer as we review more rotary tools!

3. Byron C

Byron C Multimodder

I actually bought one of these a while ago for some light work on some small plastic boxes. I can't say what it's like for heavy duty/long term use, but it seems capable enough. The accessories may leave something to be desired, but at least you can use dremel accessories (even if you can't use attachments such as flexible shafts).

4. Waynio

Waynio Relaxing

First thing that came to my mind was I wonder if it lasts longer than a Dremel in my hands :D but at £23 thought I'll have to buy 1 but then seen a user review on the maplin site & it aint good, guess I'll get a Dremel & flexishaft instead, when I dremel I spend hours at a time so has to be up for the punishment I put them through :D only reason I want another is for getting into engraving after seeing wolverine do his latest work, soooooo awesome :rock:.

Got an air powered one though & that keeps going forever without any heat issues (in fact it freezes your hands while using it :D) but it needs the trigger holding down the whole time so too uncomfortable for a lot of work, I always used to not use a flexishaft which I hear helps prolong the life of them so that's another bit I'll have to get at the same time, I've got through many dremels :duh:.

5. Waynio

Waynio Relaxing

Ah cool, I'll look into that, thanks for the tip Yemerich :thumb:.

Cool to see mod tools making it into articles also :D. Nice on the cheap part so I'd guess good for someone new to using a rotary tool, might help them make their mind up if a rotary tool is for them without blowing a lot more on a good model I mean £23 is less than a new game :D.

Last edited: 2 Aug 2011
  6. edzieba

edzieba Virtual Realist

I've got the same tool (same moulding, different colour and brand), but mine came without the various bits and with a flexible shaft. It's not perfect, but the shaft is useful for things I can't get my Proxxon into.

7. RedManc

RedManc What's a Dremel?

When modding or scratching for the first time it can be expensive enough when you don't have the tools and looking at project logs with everyones power tools this looks like it would be ideal for a beginner in the world of modding

8. Xir

Xir Modder

Sorry, I misread that it didn't have a thread...instaed of an incompatible one:hehe:

9. Combatus

Combatus Bit-tech Modding + hardware reviews Lover of bit-tech Super Moderator

Ah no worries!

10. SMIFFYDUDE

SMIFFYDUDE Supermodders on my D

The set looks like my little cousin's Ben 10 toys.

11. Star*Dagger

Star*Dagger What's a Dremel?

I would strongly warn against buying tools that are cheap.

But it is your hands, face, eyes.

Enjoy,
    S*D

12. Digi

Digi The not-so-funny Cockney

13. Zorndar

Zorndar What's a Dremel?

When i was actively modding i used my trusty Proxxon FBS 240/E. Not as much additonal tools like you get for dremel but really good quality. Its now over 5 Years old and still functional. Only the cutting disks are really poor.

14. [WP@]WOLVERINE

[WP@]WOLVERINE What's a Dremel?

Correction that is Dremelwork and nothing else and its quite easy if you dont understand whats great about a Dremel then a Dremel is not for you but in the modding comunity the Dremel (or rotarytools of that type) is the holy grail.

15. HandMadeAndroid

HandMadeAndroid That's handy.

Could use it for some 'light modding' on your occasional 'light gaming machine'

16. tranc3

tranc3 ADHD Modder

It's pretty and green. I want it.

17. LooseNeutral

LooseNeutral What's a Dremel?

I prefer RotoZips personally, and have used them for years professionally as an electrician when remodeling. The people using dremels are a loyal lot. But they replaced the tool 2 or maybe 3 to 1 compared to the Zip. Yes the Zip is a heavier duty tool but I'm talking about when performing the same tasks. The dremel didn't hold up as long on the heavier duty tasks - wasn't built for it . The huge plus for the dremel ... it shines at the delicate. The zip can do it, but doesn't feel right for those tasks, for me at least. SO, I wonder where this tool might fit in, and how it performs under what situation. The drag on all these devils is bearing seals... and another one bites the dust!

18. slothy89

slothy89 MicroModder

You missed the all important benchmarking!
    Should read something like this:
    "Now for the benchmark results: Yes, it definitely marked the bench!"

19. confusis

confusis Kiwi-modder

Mine did not.

20. Journeyer

Journeyer Minimodder

I bought a cheap Dremel clone about six years ago (ColTech brand), it is compatible with all Dremel attachments and tools, and it is still going strong. Never had any issues with it.

Usually I'm of the opinion that you get what you pay for - particularly with tools - but in this instance I have not regretted the purchase. Furthermore most tools I've bought since have been of the ColTech brand (mostly because my good experience with it), and none has ever failed (apart from the grass trimmer I bought last year - that one burnt out this summer).

Tags: Add Tags