1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Modding Room redecoration and new PC build

Discussion in 'Modding' started by Huge, 25 Jul 2011.

1. hirezo

hirezo Minimodder

theres a better one i'll try it for you :)

2. hirezo

hirezo Minimodder

Last edited: 5 Aug 2011
  3. Huge

Huge aka Dave

I am spurred to do more. I have some interesting plans forming, I'll see if they are feasible and if so - I want a place on that list!

4. Jor1995dan

Jor1995dan Minimodder

Came across this just yesterday and you're really inspired me to do something similar Huge.

Have you worked out the arrangement for the three monitors or is that not set in stone yet?

Good find of all that IKEA furniture btw, you got a great deal on all of that

Good luck with the rest of the build and make sure to keep us all updated!

5. Huge

Huge aka Dave

Glad to hear it! My mind keeps changing regarding the monitors, I'm currently thinking of going back to four monitors again but either way I will have at least two 22s. Interestingly, the 22 I have was the only 22" 1680x1050 ultrasharp that Dell put an IPS into, the rest are all TNs. The problem is that they aren't for sale second hand all that often, but I may have secured another one by tomorrow.

Talking about IKEA, I'm really struggling to get anyone on gumtree to sell me an angle grinder! Without it I cannot cut up and modify my desk frame and it's driving me nuts. (I'm a little impatient.) I've bought a Titan hammer drill (£15) and a Ryomi Sander (£10) though :)

In fact, I have at least one delivery every day at the moment. The courier guy says 'see you tomorrow' to my Mum when he drops stuff off! Tonight I should have my new PSU and a new game I bought for my new computer. I'm going to be able to play it with all graphic settings on Very High! :clap:

Last edited: 8 Aug 2011
  6. Huge

Huge aka Dave

Just found out that my internship has been extended a month - hopefully I can now afford to finish my room and get my mini closer to the road (and hopefully back on it!).

My monitor plans are starting to come together, I will reveal more as it happens. Hoping to have my desk modified tomorrow evening with a friend's help. Trying to decide on a final colour for the walls too, what do you think?

My new PSU turned up on Friday, got it fitted on Saturday. Very pleased, being modular it looks a lot neater despite the PSU taking up even more of my very limited space!

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

I neglected to take a picture of the wiring with the new PSU in but it isn't that exciting! The main thing is that I can add another 6870 in a year or so with this PSU.

7. Huge

Huge aka Dave

Hi folks, more packages arrived today which means it is time for another update:

[​IMG]

Unpacking now. Any guesses as to what I've got?

8. Krony

Krony What's a Dremel?

Looks like a couple of monitors to me :)

9. Huge

Huge aka Dave

Of course :) Now here's what the cardboard was hiding:

[​IMG]

And here are the details:
    Laptop connected to a Dell Ultrasharp 1906FP (TN)
    Computer connected to two Dell Ultrasharp 2209WAs (IPS) and one 2410 (IPS)

That is slightly more than my original plans had in mind but I can't ignore a good bargain. And these were great bargains.

In the long run the 19" will go to my brother until he gets himself a new computer and I'll just have the 22s and the 24.

Not bad, eh?

10. stefan442

stefan442 Minimodder

had to put the laptop there as well didnt you....

11. Huge

Huge aka Dave

You know, I have another 19" I could have sat on the right (if my desk were big enough) to help restore symmetry (and make me feel like a 'big playa'). I refrained from doing so. But the laptop and its screen were already here, it seemed wrong not to!

12. RedManc

RedManc What's a Dremel?

5 x Pr0n = WINNER

13. Huge

Huge aka Dave

Just in case anyone is interested, I bought these from a guy called Andy who refurbishes Dell monitors and sells them on ebay. My first 2209WA cost £92.50, it had a faint capacitor whine which older ears couldn't hear (but it annoyed me) so he immediately sent a replacement (at no cost to me) for next day delivery and pickup of the old monitor. I bought the next two from him direct which were also sent next day delivery for an excellent price. If anyone wants a Dell Ultrasharp I highly recommend him! Here is a link to his ebay page or his number is 07597980317.

(Disclaimer: I am in no way connected to him, just impressed with the service)

14. Huge

Huge aka Dave

Had a busy few days which is why I've not had any updates for a while, I was kayaking and downhill mountain biking on the weekend and am pushed for a deadline at work at the moment with university work that also needs to be done soon.

My next step is to choose the bedding, blind colour and wall colour. I have a nice idea for a colour scheme and am looking for some ways to facilitate my idea, but does anyone have a colour suggestions?

15. SuicideNeil

SuicideNeil What's a Dremel?

Fashion these days seems to be for a fairly neutral wall colour, but with one feature wall which will match your curtains and bedding/ furniture. Carpet or flooring ( colour ) is another question- I have a blue carpet with blue curtains & lampshade, cream walls and pine furniture; the furniture material or wood-type should all be matching in an ideal world, light or dark depending on the wall and floor colour. Might be worth a gander at some interior design websites to get some inspiration, there are some really drool/jizz-worthy homes out there which one can emulate on a smaller scale and budget...

16. Huge

Huge aka Dave

Thanks for the ideas. I can't really match wood easily as the house is made with a dark wood frame (that shows in the room) and I wanted an oak desk, plus I can't afford to change any more furniture in the room. However, being a small room, there isn't much furniture so that isn't much of a problem!

I think I want to go with dark walls, I have light neutral walls now and as the room is a funny shape it doesn't have a natural 'feature wall'. The ceiling will possibly be white and in the long run I'd ideally like oak hardwood flooring. The bedding and blind would match whatever colour scheme I go with, at the moment I am leaning towards dark grey with blue. I've put together a couple of quick renders of my ideas (I've never rendered before so go easy on the critics!) to have a play around with what I mean.

This one is my crappy first try which shows the old screen layout and my magnolia walls.
    [​IMG]

This one is my second attempt which shows my ideas.
    [​IMG]

17. Huge

Huge aka Dave

Not much interest to that, how about a real photo? My left screen turned up today (it had to be replaced) so now my monitors are set up properly :)

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Jor1995dan likes this.
  18. Jor1995dan

Jor1995dan Minimodder

Looking good Huge, my only suggestion though is that you put the Windows taskbar on the middle screen... You could also get some software (DisplayFusion is always an option) to extend the taskbar beyond one monitor :)

Good job :thumb:

19. Huge

Huge aka Dave

Yeah, I intend to put the taskbar back on the middle screen but I wanted a pretty picture to put up here first :thumb:

I'm not going to install a program like DisplayFusion as I hate adding programs that start up with windows and use up my resources without giving me BIG benefits. I can edit the image in paint, stick the taskbar back on the middle screen and tile the wallpaper, if edited right it'll look just like that with the taskbar in the middle and no extra programs.

I'm also seriously considering oak wood flooring now too. Can I afford it? Not really, but that won't stop me. It seems a waste to have a 0% student overdraft and not use it!

20. Krony

Krony What's a Dremel?

Don't forget a 0% interest student load still needs paying back :p
    And a program like the one mentioned above will probably use at most 3Mb of ram and u have 8000Mb :p