1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Modding Room redecoration and new PC build

Discussion in 'Modding' started by Huge, 25 Jul 2011.

1. Krony

Krony What's a Dremel?

Comming on nicely, don't u just love packages :)

2. Huge

Huge aka Dave

Just finished helping my brother build his computer! He was very surprised, loved helping build it and loves finally having a nice computer of his own. I'll put up some picture in work tomorrow, I have 3.5 hours left to sleep :(

3. Huge

Huge aka Dave

Fitted my H-50 today. The computer is idling with a delta T of around 7.5 (2.5 below standard air cooling). I'll do a stress test to see the full extent of the improvement when I can.

4. Huge

Huge aka Dave

Having had trouble with my dodgy welder I've not updated this thread properly for a while. Now I think I should give you guys an update on what's been going on - with pictures :)

Firstly, on Wednesday evening I had all of my brother's surprise new computer parts wrapped up for him to open...

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

So that evening was spend building his computer. Most of it went fine, couple of mistakes and weird problems but by the end of the night the computer was running. (2.30am, I had 3 hours before I had to get up for work :wallbash:)

Old vs new

[​IMG]

He'd never worked on a computer before:

[​IMG]

Nearly done:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Since then I've got Windows 7 Ultimate installed and he's setting it up how he wants it. Hoping to get a chance to overclock it and stress test before I leave for uni again in two weeks.

Back to my room, I finally got on with that extra desk that needed 20cm cut off the end!

Make shift work bench in my room, hoover on hand:

[​IMG]

Started work on the frame with the world's smallest and bluntest junior hacksaw

[​IMG]

Gave up on that and phoned around until I found someone with the right saw, I'll try and finish that today. However, I have it on some DVDs for a mock up of the finished product.

Night:

[​IMG]

Day:

[​IMG]

I'm going to use the 20cm cut off piece as a DVD shelf where pictured (but on the wall obviously!). Should look good because it blends in perfectly with the desks and is almost the same size as a DVD :)

Now ignoring the business with my welder things are going quite well. Still no word on my flooring though, that is a shame. I found out today that the tax man owes me over £1100! I'll only get £470 now though, £690 is from my current job and apparently I won't get that back until the end of this financial year! Bummer for now, but a nice surprise next year I suppose.

5. Huge

Huge aka Dave

I forgot, you might like to see the H-50 fitted. It's a nice snug fit in my FT03 :)

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Now my CPU is water cooled :) Haven't done the stress testing yet but when idling the temps have come down from a delta T of 10 to 7.5 :)

6. N1l0c

N1l0c What's a Dremel?

Is the H50 significantly quieter than the air cooler you were using previously?

7. Huge

Huge aka Dave

I don't think it's a huge amount quieter, I only had the standard Intel cooler before. I could of course splash out on ultra-quiet fans and that would bring the noise down to an absolute minimum but to be honest I'm very happy with the current noise level - it's inaudible over a movie or music, and even with no sound in the room it is hardly noticeable.

Another little update: I've finished hacking away at that metal frame! This extra desk is about the only thing I've accomplished this weekend but I'm happy with how it looks.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Before:
    [​IMG]

After:
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

Now I'm finally able to move the last things back into my room and organise all my stuff in storage :) Everyone else in the house will be pleased to see less of my junk lying around!

8. Tangster

Tangster Butt-kicking for goodness!

Well, I'll just say that it looks great, and that chair sure looks comfy.

9. Huge

Huge aka Dave

Cheers :) The thread gets a lot of views but not a huge amount of comments, it's nice to have some feedback. The chair is very comfy, so comfy in fact that it distracts me from doing any work ;)

I'll try and get another picture up tonight as everything is moved back in and I'd like to get the shelf up if I can.

10. Tangster

Tangster Butt-kicking for goodness!

I only saw this thread because of your rant about the cowboy welder :)
    I guess people are just too overawed to comment?:jawdrop:

11. Huge

Huge aka Dave

Haha, that would be nice :lol:

When you look at how it's come on I'm very pleased with the result. I just can't believe I didn't take a picture of it how it was before for a proper compare and contrast :wallbash:

12. Huge

Huge aka Dave

Damn! Just typed in a whole update and clicked 'go advanced' to add a smiley I didn't know the text for and everything disappeared! Nevermind, here we go again.

Just ran some more stress tests before I attempt to overclock my i5. Under the calming waters of the H-50 my CPU is as cool as a cucumber :baby:

[Under Prime95] CPU ΔT: 28ºc (52ºc)
    [Add some FurMark] CPU ΔT: 29ºc (54ºc) | GPU ΔT: 61ºc (86ºc)
    [Normal Light Use] CPU ΔT: 7ºc (31ºc) | GPU ΔT: 32ºc (56ºc)

I was watching a movie on my laptop (though the laptop's speakers) and was surprised to hear the computer's fans suddenly as the temps rose to their maximum, but even then with a film on I was not unduly distracted by the sound. Considering this kind of use will mainly be seen when playing a high end game (though I rarely play games) I doubt I will ever get annoyed with the sound the fans make. Right now I have 6 fans spinning but because I've got some music playing (at a perfectly normal volume) I honestly cannot hear them. Very happy :)

In other news, the welder dropped of his evil invoice. Goodbye £250 :waah:

And lastly, here are two more views of my room. I'm a little anti-social at home now, no other room quite compares to mine :p

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

13. meandmymouth

meandmymouth Multimodder

That's a very nice set up. I've been looking at the thread as you have updated it and I'm impressed with the work done, very nicely done.

If you don't go back to uni for 2 weeks you must be at either Oxford, Cambridge or Durham. I don't know any others that go back in October.

14. sp4nky

sp4nky BF3: Aardfrith WoT: McGubbins

That room looks awesome. I've been lurking since the initial design, so a bunch of those views are down to me... I especially like the omelette ;)

What chair is that?

15. Huge

Huge aka Dave

Cheers. Not quite finished yet but pretty close now. And you were right the first time, I'm studying Engineering there.

16. Huge

Huge aka Dave

Ooh, two comments in two minutes. I'm a lucky guy! I'm afraid I can't remember where we got the chair from, my parents got it me for my GCSE results I think. Or perhaps my A Levels. I think it was in Staples, on sale?

And the omelette was excellent, this one was one of Mum's specials but it's a staple part of my diet at uni!

17. meandmymouth

meandmymouth Multimodder

My powers of deduction are rather good! I'm doing the same at Durham, you picked the right course, go forth and conquer!

18. Huge

Huge aka Dave

Ah, you had insider information then. Each year previously these last two weeks would be very boring, everyone else is back in uni and nobody is left behind to hangout with! Now though, because I took a gap year and a 4 year Masters course I have two years left and all my friends have graduated! Everyone is still here, convincing themselves slowly to get a job.

19. meandmymouth

meandmymouth Multimodder

I also had a gap year and was supposed to be doing my 4th year this year. As it is due to personal difficulties I'm repeating my 3rd year and it will be my final year (yay BEng).

Back to bit-tech type topics...

Your FT03, how well do your drives fit in to it? I've been contemplating buying this case and I have 3 HDD's as well as an SSD, which is the maximum the case can hold I believe. Are they easy to mount in the case? Also, what temp does you GPU reach when gaming? I'm wondering whether the case would be able to take 560's in SLi...

20. Huge

Huge aka Dave

Shame about missing out on the MEng mate. I had three HDDs and an SSD, they fit fine but it's quite an art fitting the PSU's cables around it. I'd recommend Silverstone's PSU with the short cable kit, it makes things a lot easier. As I said above my GPU hits around 86 under max load but you can mount 80mm fans for better GPU airflow. I intend to have two 6870s in crossfire ultimately. It'll be pretty hot I imagine!