1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Case Mod - In Progress Project: MNU by Kylevdm - ENERMAX SPONSORSHIP!

Discussion in 'Project Logs' started by Kylevdm, 30 Dec 2009.

1. Kylevdm

Kylevdm The Mod Zoo Podcast Host

Thinking about it I am missing a few boxers...

2. Kylevdm

I have not had much time this due to being at work... it is not that bad though, the pay checks are paying for MNU to be put in the fast lane :)

[​IMG]

Due to the addition of the 1.5mm aluminium plate below the door I have to move the hinges up a little bit in order to allow the door to open properly. The hinges are screwed onto these little plastic things. So I broke out a craft knife and some sandpaper and removed enough material for it to open most of the way. It is not quite there yet so the door is staying shut for now, will hopefully be able to spend enough time on it to get it to open properly without nicking the paint.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

There is still one more layer of paint to go on before a coat of clear. and will need to put a few layers on the back of the panel to make sure there is NO black still visible!

[​IMG]

I have of course not forgotten all my sponsors of this project!

Thanks Fractal Design, NZXT, MNPCTECH and TM3!!!

3. Kylevdm

Hello there folks!

I am back again with another days work.

Earlier in the week I helped my dad out with running a few cables across the living room for surround sound and Sky, in trunking. After there was a few meters spare and I thought it would be perfect for the reinforcing on the window. So while it was still sunny outside I camped out there and chopped out the appropriate bits of trunking with some nice 45º angles.

[​IMG]

I will need to do a fair bit of touching up with filler to get this bit perfect but looks pretty cool already :) The concept has bars going over the window as well as mesh. A piece of 6mm doweling is perfect for the bars. 3 bars will do the job? I think so.

[​IMG]

After having a bit of fun drilling into the trunking we have this. Pretty happy with it actually!

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Next up is the panel for the radiator to be attached too, has now been riveted on - yes I know they are not perfect... and primed along with MNPCTechs billet case feet and fan grill and the first coat of white primer on the motherboard side panel.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Finally inorder to make the case feet fit.. I needed to take a little bit out of the holder for the PSU dust filter.
    [​IMG]

Until next time... Mod on :)

[​IMG][​IMG][​IMG]

4. Razer2007

Razer2007 Building Proxima

Good going. Keep it up.

5. Nutman

Nutman Never stuck with stock

Yeah, coming along nicely.

6. Kylevdm

Update time!

I have no idea what I have been up to this weekend... but I have unfortunately not manage to get much done. But it is all moving forward right?

I decided for this weeks task to work on the front panel, trying to stick to the original plan I am going to make the front window protection screen. The concept drawing has steel strips going across the windscreen so I decided to do that on the front panel too :) I have made good use of the spare trunking lying about the house!

[​IMG]
    All the bits I need...

[​IMG]
    The glued up external frame drying.

[​IMG]
    A quick coat of paint, and as always it shows up all the imperfections... I will get that sorted out tomorrow!

[​IMG]
    While watching paint dry I decided to paint up another panel the panels are now almost all white!

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    But overlooking the primer fuzz and some other random marks this is what it will roughly look like on the panel. However, I will be adding some modders mesh to break up the white :)

[​IMG][​IMG][​IMG]

7. mnpctech

mnpctech bit-tech sponsor

I love where you're going with this Kyle, esp the side panel. The PC will be perfect mate to the truck! :thumb:

8. Kylevdm

Cheers Bill!

Well it has been a week of rain... so I have not managed to do much of the stuff that needs done, painting mostly.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

I have managed to get 2 get the feet and 2 of the panels finished and cleared. :)

Only a few pictures today, but will update more tomorrow (hopefully).

[​IMG][​IMG][​IMG]

9. Cheapskate

Cheapskate Insane? or just stupid?

The new place is kinda small...
    Is your neighbor Jason Voorhees by any chance?

Kylevdm likes this.
  10. Nutman

Naaaah, couldn't be - where are all the bloody bodies, eh?

11. Kylevdm

They you do use 70L recycling bags...

12. mnpctech

mnpctech bit-tech sponsor

Hey, Kyle has a YARD! :D

13. Kylevdm

It is update time already... :D

I now have something that looks like a case again!!!!

[​IMG]
    Painting the black bits... watch this space

Now I have some black 3mm pop rivets, all the bits and pieces of the chassis are painted.
    [​IMG]
    After using a TON of dome head rivets, countersunk rivets... we have this! Yes the whites are not quite exact but the grill and front panel still need to be cleared...

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Once again, thanks to Fractal, MNPCTECH, NZXT, TM3 :)

14. stonedsurd

stonedsurd Is a cackling Yuletide Belgian

Progress! Yay :clap:

15. Nutman

Very nice!

But, to balance it all out, how about painting the top grill black?

16. Kylevdm

Hehe, if the weather holds up there should be another one this week!

Cheers nutman! I have thought about it, however there will be some black stuff on the top. Will see how it goes can always repaint!

Last edited: 24 Aug 2011
  17. bulldogjeff

bulldogjeff The modding head is firmly back on.

The weather is the baine of my life at the moment, I need to be spraying stuff but it wont seem to let up for long enough to get anything done. Right rant over..

Look good dude all starting to take shape nicely.

18. Kylevdm

Tell me about it! I have taken about 5 days to do what should have taken a day with no rain!

Update time! I had some fun fun today with copper pipe, filler, a mouse sander, fiberglass spacers, primer, and paint.

[​IMG]

In the middle of the copper pipe is a wooden dowel, which will have a screw going into it from the case, this is simply held in place by the wonderful thing called body filler - mud, bondo, or what ever you want to call it!

[​IMG]

After 30 minutes with my favourite toy the mouse sander I have 2 shiny ready to be painted copper pipes.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Now I have had some fun with primer and black paint we have the roll bars on MNU, I decided to assemble the case as it stands at the moment... the sidepanels need a few more coats and clear as do the front panel and grill and of course having to add the stuff to the front panel and window!

[​IMG][​IMG][​IMG]

19. LazyMan

LazyMan What's a Dremel?

Wow, this id coming along great. Looking forward to more updates.

20. Cheapskate

Cheapskate Insane? or just stupid?

You should have soldered those top bars. They look too much like handles. You have too many drinking buddies not to build it like proper armor.;)
    I also didn't notice you were using HDPE wire channels. Almost nothing sticks to HDPE, so get ready for paint touch-up.

...Just a little Negative Nancy today, ain't I?:(

Otherwise, everything is looking good.:thumb: