1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Displays [update: Good news, everyone!] - New Dell U series coming Q3. A downgrade big time

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by GoodBytes, 10 May 2011.

1. azrael-

azrael- I'm special...

He doesn't necessarily get items from the manufacturers. For instance, his U2311H had pretty bad clouding issues.

Regarding overdrive, I've not seen any such setting on the Dell monitors I've worked with.

2. Elton

Elton Officially a Whisky Nerd

I'll just wait for the PRAD review. Or TFTCentral's.

3. Picarro

Picarro What's a Dremel?

Oh man. For that price it is a serious contender. If you could talk it down to sub 250£ it would really shine.

4. jimmyjj

jimmyjj Minimodder

The Prad review is up.

Unfortunately:

1: You have to pay to see it.
    2: It is only in German and not in English yet.

However you can see that his overall verdict was "gut". My German is not great but I am going to go out on a limb and say that translates as "good". This guy seems to have high standards so I imagine if he say it is gut, then it is probably very gut!

http://www.prad.de/new/monitore/testberichte.html

5. wyx087

wyx087 Homeworld 3 is happening!!

google translate says "gut" is well, U2410 only got satisfactory, U2711 got "gut" as well.

guess it's a good monitor for its RRP.

6. Parge

Parge the worst Super Moderator

I think for £310 inc VAT and shipping its already a bargain, for most people, just having an IPS panel will be enough of an upgrade.

7. azrael-

azrael- I'm special...

That notice has been up on PRAD.DE for about a week. I specifically didn't want to draw notice to it because it's more of a (paid for) preview right now. The review will be up on 22 August, so in a week's time. But everything points to that they like the U2412M better (price/value) than the U2410, which scored "satisfactorily" because of the bungled "Custom user setting".

8. jimmyjj

jimmyjj Minimodder

http://hardforum.com/showthread.php?t=1615513

Very good thread on U2412m, featuring some excellent comments from people who have bought it and played with it. Features calibration reports and tests for glow, bleed and ghosting, plus some who have gone for triple screen set ups.

A few trolls that you should ignore but a good read for anyone interested in this monitor.

One guy in particular is very good - 10e.

I am very interested in this monitor. It is now in stock from more than one retailer - CCL for example have stock and I am seriously tempted.

9. GoodBytes

GoodBytes How many wifi's does it have?

Well beside the fact that the thread over there is over the top long, there is a lot of fighting going on.

But from what i can see from this early point out of this monitor is that, it simply is a 16:10 monitor. A descent one (entry level IPS panel, 6-bit panel). Looking at specs wise only in ratio to the price, it's really a 16:10 low cost monitor. BUT, it is an IPS panel. I am starting to think that this is a good monitor (still waiting for reviews), so those who don't care about all the features of the U2410 (picure-in-picture, all the inputs you can possibly ask for, pre-calibrated profiles, card reader, nice looks, super duper over the top solid stand, and so on). Its really an ideal 16:10 24inch IPS monitor.

I think 50-100$ less would make it ideal for what it is (especially that the looks is... well... I don't like it). Perhaps a good purchase later on as price drops or on special.. regular price.. personally.. I don't see it a s a great grand deal, like the Dell U2410, U1311, HP ZR24W, or the LG IPS231P.

The reason why it has better contrast (spec wise, not to be confused with reality, which is what I am looking for in an in depth review), is because of the white LED's... as these are positions at the bottom of the LCD panel, and not directly behind.

10. jimmyjj

jimmyjj Minimodder

I am close to making a decision now, I will be placing an order on Tuesday.

I have narrowed it down to the U2311h or the U2412m.

HPZR24W out of the running due to price. I have sadly concluded it is just outside of my budget.

U2311h Positives:

Cheaper - can afford to get internal blu ray player as well. I like the idea of watching tv shows and movies with no black bars (apart from 2.35:1)

U2311h Negatives::

Pretty much same visible area as my 22" 16:10 - will not feel like much of an upgrade size wise. Vertical distance actually smaller.

U2412m Positives:

Its one hell of a lot bigger. Will really feel like I am getting an upgrade size wise.
    Nice to have brand new product, some people really rating it.

U2412m Negatives:

Still waiting for critical reviews. Seems to be a lot of people complaining about yellow cast and backlight bleed. Obviously it is typical for people to moan on forums. Bit too early to judge quality issues so taking a bit of a chance.

Anyway,

Bit of a silly question, I am worried that 24" is actually too BIG for sitting in front of and playing games, and that it will give me a head ache.

How do you find your 24" monitors and how far back do you typically sit? How do you find the text size?

11. azrael-

azrael- I'm special...

The Dell U2412M review has gone live on PRAD.de. I'm linking to the German review, since you apparently have to pay for the English. Google Translate to the rescue. Well, sort of. Unless you can read and understand German like yours truly. :p

12. smc8788

smc8788 Multimodder

LOL, 27" monitor here and I wish I could afford a 30" monitor now. Playing games on a 27" monitor is glorious compared to the comparably tiny 23" monitor I was using before. Give it a week and you'll be used to it I'm sure, so my vote would always go with the bigger option - the U2412. It means you'll be less likely to want to upgrade to something bigger in the future and you won't regret not buying the larger screen later on.

13. jimmyjj

jimmyjj Minimodder

Placed an order for the U2412m.

Thanks to those who helped me with advice in this thread.

Fingers crossed I get a good panel, so wish me luck.

I will let you know my thoughts when I get it in a couple of days.

-Jamie

14. jimmyjj

jimmyjj Minimodder

TFT Central review came out, but then was removed from the home page again.

I retrieved the link from google and it is still working:

http://www.tftcentral.co.uk/reviews/dell_u2412m.htm

Had mine for a day now, and it is fantastic.

At the moment I have only had a chance to verify a couple of things.

• Nice build quality
    • No dead pixels
    • No back light bleed
    • Looks great at out of the box setting (once brightness turned down)
    • Backlight may be LED but is capable of burning your retinas. Have mine set at 43, TFT central calibrated theirs down even lower (35).
    • Blacks are very deep. If you turn all the lights out and display a pure black screen you can see the IPS glow very distinctively. If you watch a movie however the black bars are a very deep black. In conjunction with the lack of back light bleed I think this will be awesome for films. Watched the HD trailer for 5cm a second. Wow!

I have never had an IPS panel before and it is a real treat. Viewing angles are great and lagom shows no colour shift.

I have to say though that I found the screen coating obvious at first, but am already used to it. I looked at the gradient tests on lagom and thought I saw banding, but on later reflection it seemed to be the anti glare coating messing with my eyesight.

Not had a chance to do any gaming at all on it yet.

All in all I am incredibly pleased with it, especially as I picked it up for £288. I am no expert, so I was just pleased that it looks good and has no obvious quality issues. Would recommend it, based on my sample.

Last edited: 25 Aug 2011
  15. Pookeyhead

Pookeyhead It's big, and it's clever.

6bit panel.... Ugh!

16. GoodBytes

Thanks for the update.
    Glad you like it. :D

Yes IPS panels, even entry-level ones are night and day compared to TN panels, even compared to the best TN panels around. As you can see, it totally worth the extra price increase over TN panel.

Well at least it's not a TN panel, and is 16:10, if you want to see the good side of things.
    If it pushes 16:10 sales, than I am happy. As it will, hopefully, make monitor manufacture think twice before stop producing 16:10 panels. Plus, it is better than most of the crap (TN) out there, and this is very welcome. I think if it makes people introduce in a world where better displays exists, hopefully they will start demanding better models (so 8-bit panels), and of course, be able or willing to, save and invest in such better (true 8-bit panel) models.

17. Pookeyhead

Pookeyhead It's big, and it's clever.

I agree with all of that, and am pleased 16:10 is still being pushed. I just wonder how much they've saved by not using a 8bit panel.

18. kirby2096

kirby2096 What's a Dremel?

Anyone plugged a Xbox360 into thier U2412M via VGA, does it stretch the image to fit the 16:10 screen? My sister's taking my E228WFP to uni with her so it's a good time to upgrade to an IPS monitor that has low input lag and quick response time, especially for fighting games and shmups, on top of superior picture quality.
    I'm a bit mystified as to why HDMI input is quite so rare on the 22"-24" monitors that have the better stands, image quality etc, why can't one of these companies make a monitor that does all these seemingly simplistic things right, at a reasonable price?
    I'm edging my way towards the U2312HM, with the knowledge that it won't be any bigger compared to my old 1650x1080 monitor, but solves the 360 1:1 pixel mapping dilemma. I can forgo PS3 compatibility as I'd have to faff around the back of the monitor to switch DVI cables and I guess the image quality won't be as good as a hdtv due to the lack of a (decent) hardware upscaler.

19. GoodBytes

The Dell U2410 (not the U2412M) will do exactly what you want, and fits your need perfectly.
    And for what it offers, it's an excellent deal which you can't pas for what you get in term of image quality, and features.

The U2410 features:
    -> VGA, 2x DVI, HDMI, Composite, Component, and the new Display Port for new laptops and desktop graphic cards. So you can plug about anything you want.

-> Excellent stand (better than the U2412M)

-> Support 1:1 pixel mapping.. so no scale will occur (or you can have it scale, it's in the options of the monitor)

-> Picture-in-Picture and Side-by-Side picture-in-picture...

-> Larger view angle than the U2412M (less contrast shift visible on blacks, and needs to be at a higher angle)

-> 16:10 and descent monitor, all by providing impressive speed, low input lag (also has (like the U2412M) Game mode which makes the the monitor by-pass the color processor and other components to reduce input lag further), and has impressive low ghosting
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

20. kirby2096

kirby2096 What's a Dremel?

It is just a little too pricey for me being that a new one costs 50% more than a U2412M, even the latter is near my maximum budget. I'm eyeing up a B-Grade U2410 at £350 but I'm sure it was returned for a good reason:rolleyes: