1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Displays [update: Good news, everyone!] - New Dell U series coming Q3. A downgrade big time

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by GoodBytes, 10 May 2011.

1. jimmyjj

jimmyjj Minimodder

Dear Kirby,

The Prad review of the U2412m talks about connection of external devices. You have to go to the German site though and use google translate to read it.

http://www.prad.de/new/monitore/test/2011/test-dell-u2412m.html

I do not think the U2412m handles external devices very well as it was not designed for that purpose and does not have the correct scaling controls.

I will only ever connect mine via PC, and will use an internal Blu Ray (which will work perfectly) - so this was no loss to me.

2. azrael-

azrael- I'm special...

To paraphrase what PRAD.de says about format support is, that although the U2412M handles HDCP via DVI and DisplayPort 16:9 (1920x1080) content will be shown stretched in 16:10 (1920x1200) format. The more logical thing to do would have been to insert 60 rows above and beneath the 16:9 content to pad the image, but alas, Dell didn't see the need for that.

Also, the U2412M doesn't support refresh rates below 50Hz or above 60Hz. At least that's what's stated in the PRAD.de review.

The choices are understandable considering the U2412M is positioned as an office monitor. That it's apparently an adept gaming monitor is a very welcome boon.