1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Displays Which monitor

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by unikey, 22 Aug 2011.

1. unikey

unikey What's a Dremel?

Which monitor would people recommend I've narrowed it down to

23.6" AOC E2436VWA WLED
    21.5" BenQ G2222HDL
    21.5" Dell ST2220M LED

I'm more interested in quality than an extra inch on the screen size

cheers

Simon

2. thelaw

thelaw What's a Dremel?

Cant say anything bad about the benq g2222HDL having just bought one the other day...lovely monitor so far, no dead pixels on arrival...windows 7 recognised it straight away.

3. LennyRhys

LennyRhys Fan Fan

What's your budget?

If it's quality you're after, you want a monitor with an IPS panel, and you can get one of those for under £150 if you look around (LG does a 23" 1080p IPS monitor). :thumb:

4. unikey

unikey What's a Dremel?

My budget is £100 so all of them are over it by around a tenner, My old 24" CRT died at the weekend :(

5. fdbh96

fdbh96 What's a Dremel?

The Benq is a great budget monitor :D

6. GoodBytes

GoodBytes How many wifi's does it have?

Ok, just a note.. what you are about to buy will be a MAJOR downgrade from your CRT (minus the flickering, if you have any).

As your CRT broke, I guess anything is better than nothing. Totally agree with you.
    But I would star saving to replace that budget monitor.

7. unikey

unikey What's a Dremel?

yeah just lost a Sony Premierpro but curently using a 14" 800x400 unbranded lcd..yuck yuck and yuck. As I can't find another sony ebay failed me :( what would people recommend I save up for after the Benq?

8. gavinfree101

gavinfree101 What's a Dremel?

The Benq is a great budget monitor

9. gavinfree101

gavinfree101 What's a Dremel?

Cant say anything bad about the benq g2222HDL having just bought one the other day...lovely monitor so far, no dead pixels on arrival...windows 7 recognised it straight away.

10. LennyRhys

LennyRhys Fan Fan

Here's a list of popular displays in ascending order of cost, all with IPS panels and 1920x1080 or 1920x1200 resolution

LG IPS231P 23" (1080p) £150ish
    Dell U2311 23" (1080p) £225ish
    HP ZR24W 24" (WUXGA) £325ish
    DELL U2410 24" (WUXGA) £450ish

You could also get a PVA monitor but they are a bit more rare/specialized and can be very expensive. :thumb:

11. thelaw

thelaw What's a Dremel?

Gavinfree101 - Isn't that exactly what i typed above including my lack of grammer and dots to seperate statements?

If your going to post a statement then post your own opinion rather than copy and post someone elses especially from the same thread ! :duh:

12. LennyRhys

LennyRhys Fan Fan

I think he was trying to quote you ;)

13. thelaw

thelaw What's a Dremel?

I wondered that...oh well a qoute fail then...given his post count i suspect his googling bought up the discussion.

14. unikey

unikey What's a Dremel?

Are any of the current generation capable of matching my old CRT, the Benq is ok for what I paid but the image quality is poor, Been and looked at the Dell 2411 and I'm not impressed tech is supposed to improve!

15. noizdaemon666

noizdaemon666 I'm Od, Therefore I Pwn

Tech has improved, less power consumption and smaller space required to house the monitor. Technology advancement doesn't always go the direction we'd like :hehe:

And you'd probably be looking at spending quite a bit more than you did for the BenQ if you wanted to reproduce the colours of your CRT.

16. fdbh96

fdbh96 What's a Dremel?

Did that to mine aswell :p

17. GoodBytes

GoodBytes How many wifi's does it have?

As a person that came from CRT area (my last monitor), I can tell you need to cash out quite a bit.

The Dell U2410 (NOT the U2412M) is the best monitor (in the sub-1000$ range for a 22/24inch), that will provide you the closest to a CRT. The only big downside of the U2410 which prevents it from matching the CRT, (and this downside is the same for ANY LCD monitor), is that the blacks won't be as good, as LCD's have a back light. PVA panels are able to produce the best blacks for a LCD, as they can really do a good job in blocking the light. BUT you loose speed, plus you have ghosting visible, and you have high input lag, which could affect your gaming or fast action movies. Don't get me wrong, PVA did HUGE steps forward in getting better over the years (same for IPS panels), but it term of speed, it's not even close to a IPS panel of today (last gen), which has reach a more than acceptable level for gaming and fast action movies/videos.

MVA, such as the BenQ, does provide great blacks, as it's technology is similar to PVA, but due to a focus on budget, and speed... it has the almost all the same problems as TN panels, where the colors are simply awful, even if you try to calibrate them. Another cause for this issue, is the lack (like TN panels) of a color processor, PLUS it uses a 6-bit panel, instead of 8-bit.

Here I explain a lot more on LCD technology, and in a simple manner, including me explaining what is this 6-bit and 8-bit thing that I am talking about:
    http://forums.bit-tech.net/showpost.php?p=2776290&postcount=13

The U2410 uses a true 8-bit color panel, which allows you to do all (and properly) 16,777,216 colors.

Of course, another LCD downside (but that you really can't do anything), is that any resolution that isn't native, won't be sharp. No mater how much money you are spending, you will have this problem.

With the U2410, it also allows you to get started in the right foot, as a bonus feature (if you consider it as such), it comes with 2 pre-calibrated (with report), Adobe RGB and sRGB color profile specifically done for the monitor that you purchased.

Just turn on the monitor for the first time, and in the color profile section of the monitor menu, pick either profile.

This will give you fantastic colors, which are fairly accurate out of the box (no adjustment needed, as they are very close to a perfect calibrated screen). Now, it's not the best calibration in the whole world (hence the bonus term). But it sure beats nothing, and having to fiddle for hours with the monitor settings to get them somewhat right with your eye (or accurate with a color calibrator if you have one).

Of course, getting a color calibrator is better choice, as you can calibrate your monitor every now and then to ensure that not only you have the best calibration, but also that you compensate for the wear and tear of the monitor over time, which affects colors (like CRT's, and like any other monitor technology). But at least it's a great place to start, especially if you don't need pin-point color accuracy, but just want great colors out of the box, and have them over the years to come. I don't think the 10-15% offset of the colors over the years will make you notice that yours color has shifted and no longer as accurate as before, especially if you don't do any work that involves doing any pin point color accurate work.

The only monitor technology that has the POTENTIAL, of really competing with a CRT is a OLED screen. Right now, not only OLED screen doesn't exists for desktop or laptop computers in term of us being able to purchase one, and that it's very expensive. But already technology cuts are being down to help reduce the price of OLED screens for small devices, and has it's own share of flaws that it needs to be worked on. Hence why I underline the fact that is has POTENTIAL.

Also, it's not a anytime soon solution to buy, and I don't expect that the first of even second generation OLED monitors comes close to a CRT.

Last edited: 27 Aug 2011
  18. unikey

unikey What's a Dremel?

Thanks for the info at least I understand the problem now, That is a real killer I need to be able to swap resolution without changing the image.
    It seems that my best bet will be to get two screens for different use's unless I can find a CRT or something changes radically in the next 6 month
    Noizdeamon666 (cool nick) all those improvements are nice but not at the expense of its primary purpose which is displaying an image.
    I was expecting to easily find a monitor to match Pixel Pitch 0.23 mm Resolution 2304 x 1440 / 80 Hz. With accurate colours without any ghosting/lag artifects etc. I wasn't expecting it to be cheap but I was expecting it to be available!

19. noizdaemon666

noizdaemon666 I'm Od, Therefore I Pwn

I totally agree with you, I'd much rather have a monitor that displays colours with near absolute perfect results than one that uses 0.5W every year haha

But alas it is not to be, for now.

20. chewbaccas_nan

chewbaccas_nan Minimodder