1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

LOL Jailed for trolling

Discussion in 'General' started by Unicorn, 13 Sep 2011.

1. Unicorn

Unicorn Uniform November India

Not really a LOL thread tbh, and I considered putting it under "Serious" but here:

Reading Man Jailed for "indecent or offensive communications".

We know this as trolling, and the BBC Radio 1 newsbeat reader today couldn't pronounce the word "trolling" properly. "Troll" is pronounced "Trow-lle", producing the verb "trow-ll-ing". He was pronouncing it "Trawl-ling".

Anyway, there you go. Sometimes you can go way too far. Fair warning for most of us although obviously none of us would do anything as inappropriate as making fun of dead teenagers. I mean, how did he find this amusing or think that anyone else would find it amusing?!

[​IMG]

Do you think it would be considered indecent or taking things too far to make fun of this guy? I haven't any intention of it, but I'm assuming as soon as 4chan gets hold of it and that amazingly appropriate picture of him from the BBC website, things are going to happen.

Jailed for trolling. Or, as the BBC would say, "trolleyng".

Last edited: 13 Sep 2011
  2. KidMod-Southpaw

KidMod-Southpaw Super Spamming Saiyan

Well it's hardly OK what he said, but I think an eighteen week sentence is pushing it a bit.

3. soviet_

soviet_ Bantros

He needs a slap for being a huge ***** but 18 weeks? What ********

4. kenco_uk

kenco_uk I unsuccessfully then tried again

5. thehippoz

thehippoz What's a Dremel?

like being a teenager isn't hard enough.. there is an art to trolling- but this is just sad.. maybe he was mad because he has no neck!

6. GaryP

GaryP RIP Tel

The fella is a detestable little scrote and I have got no problem with the sentence either. If it was a relative of mine and I found out who he was posting crap like that without provocation or reason, then I would have got a lot longer than 18 weeks for what I would have done to him.

Hopefully the sad git will learn his lesson. Just because you would get a lesser sentence for maybe more serious crimes, doesn't mean this one is wrong, it means the other crimes should have longer ones.

7. Unicorn

Trawling. ISWYDT :thumb:

8. Juu

Juu Haters Gonna Hate [✓]

Find this quite ridiculous, how is this any different from the chain texts that get sent around with a joke about the latest tragedy?.. Should comediens be jailed for making jokes (ie madeline mccann for example) ?

It's not like he mailed his super-imposed pictures to the home address, it was a facebook page

Madness

9. Unicorn

It's cyber bullying and it's a form of abuse. There are laws against abuse, and when it's someone picking on the memory of dead children and tennagers on their own facebook profiles, it's a whole other level of wrong. He got caught, he's paying for what he did wrong. Story ends.

Madness? No, makes perfect sense. You could only think this is madness if you are the sort of person who does this kind of thing as well, or at least thinks it's funny. And there is nothing remotely funny about Madeline McCann's disappearance (and as a matter of fact I have never heard nor want to hear a single joke about her).

10. TheStockBroker

TheStockBroker Modder

I find myself conflicted.

While I agree, and feel his actions and comments were in very poor taste - they did not constitute the actus reus of a threat, conditional or otherwise, or the fear element thereof. Going by the source only nor did they also reflect any incitement of racial hatred or acts of violence and/or terrorism. Furthermore all comments/acts were not directed toward any party, they were merely made the subject of an open forum.

The man shouldn't have been jailed. The case shouldn't even have gone to court.

I certainly feel as though he has had his civil liberties impinged upon, but am not ungrateful he is where he is.

I hope he appeals and gets it quashed.

TSB

11. Zurechial

Zurechial Elitist

Last edited: 13 Sep 2011
  12. Canon

Canon Reformed

Anyone that actually takes time out of their day to contact somebody he does not know and to give them abuse is probably just seeking affection the only way they know because they're more than just a nugget short of a happy meal. So hopefully in those eighteen weeks he has to think about it, one of the larger inmates can perhaps give him that affection he so desperately seeks.

13. Unicorn

Haha, well played Zurechial! :hehe:

14. thehippoz

thehippoz What's a Dremel?

xD

15. Stotherd-001

Stotherd-001 Minimodder

I heard it too, but I thought he said it more like the troll in "Trolley". It was fairly hilairious.

On a more serious note though, Now, however, minor internet trolls, as annoying as they are, will be lumped in with the incredibly offensive stuff this guy said by the common non internet person. I'd have gone with Noobertroll. A troll, that doesn't know how to troll right.

16. Unicorn

You're right, it was more like trolley. BBC teatime news just made the same blunder. Someone hasn't done their homework, and everyone else is picking up the incorrect pronunciation.

17. FIBRE+

FIBRE+ Minimodder

Channel 4 news can't pronounce it either.

I wouldn't say it was a harsh sentence, he seems to be a repeat offender and there's absolutely no excuse for doing things like that. If they are making an example of him with this case fair enough as they need to reinforce the fact that the internet isn't a lawless domain. Obviously as some people might argue we don't want censorship\control of the internet going out of control but this has nothing to do with that in my opinion.

18. Black Tiger

Black Tiger Chineapple Punks

I was thinking exactly the same thing..!!
    it was wrong what the guy done but he should have never gone to jail for it!

19. r3loaded

r3loaded Minimodder

In no way do I approve of his actions which were in incredibly poor taste, but a prison sentence for trolling is quite OTT. This is the internet after all - if someone is being abusive you ignore it and/or report it to Facebook who can take action. Was this seriously worth the police investigation, court appearance + legal costs and costs of imprisoning him? I doubt it.

The guy has Asperger's too - shouldn't he at least be investigated by doctors first?

20. sp4nky

sp4nky BF3: Aardfrith WoT: McGubbins

That is trawling, as the link says. Trawling is defined as using a net drawn through the water to catch fish.

Trolling is using bait or lures on a line. The fishing term aptly describes the internet action of putting something on a forum or a website in order to snare or catch people. They hook on to the bait and respond.