Windows Rage - Anyone excited?

Discussion in 'Gaming' started by Da_Rude_Baboon, 28 Sep 2011.

1. phinix

phinix RIP Waynio...

So is that latest patch/update fixing the texture problem? Or is it still ugly?

2. IvanIvanovich

IvanIvanovich будет глотать вашу душу.

I forced 8k already, but I haven't noticed any additional improvements. Far objects still look terrible. If near objects still look bad, i suggest you should do the same as it does help it look considerably nicer for things in the foreground.

3. thehippoz

thehippoz What's a Dremel?

muddy textures? bad sky?

it might be like that because of the auto balancer.. I'll take some more screens tonight

it's nothing like described in this thread.. but being on amd I have to play at 30fps until they fix their driver..

there are textures that are compressed to hell but it's very obvious.. nothing muddy about them- they are clear as day.. I almost want to put in the 460 to see what you guys are talking about

or do I :hehe:

4. IvanIvanovich

IvanIvanovich будет глотать вашу душу.

Yep, the autobalancer sucks. Thats why Forcing 8k, or if you have over 1.5gb vram, you can go to 16k it makes it look a lot better as you are essentially bypassing the autobalancer. But it sounds like some things are very different for nvidia vs amd user. Each has it's own set of issues. I have nvidia, so all i know is that following the guide for the rageconfig.cfg and the beta driver has eliminated all of the tearing and pop in for me, and made it look much better except for distant object which are still terrible.
    It's not that the distant things look vague, which they should. It's that distant things look like sharply defined things with terrible textures. That is not the way to do it. They need some bokeh or something.

5. thehippoz

yeah lysol.. hope they get a texture pack- but in game it looks fine least to me..

wish my back wasn't killing me right now, I'd probably pull a late one..

*edit- some better shots where you can see the texture fails.. and some more good shots

[​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG]

Last edited: 11 Oct 2011
  6. Apocalypso

Apocalypso Fully armed and operational.

I've enabled the 8k textures with the rageconfig.cfg but I still think it looks woeful.

7. Pete J

Pete J Employed scum

Ditto. I tried 16k but predictably ran into memory issues.

And no SLI support sucks MAJOR donkey balls.

8. phinix

phinix RIP Waynio...

WOW!!! :jawdrop:Does it really look that bad?!!!:waah:

9. thehippoz

not really.. you have to play it to see- it's just certain textures in game.. amd are really taking their time fixing the beta driver

I can't even play at 60fps because there's a bug in the fixed video driver for dual cores.. using a older driver- but you can see the graphics are decent

check it out in 720p- was capped in 1080 on a 6970 (sorry about the lag and fps- game play is much faster without fraps)

if ati could keep that quality on the 10.6 and fix the bugs..

10. soviet_

soviet_ Bantros

This isn't a reply to anyone in particular, just in general to a lot of the negative comments I've seen on here and other forums.

How anyone can say this game looks bad is beyond me. First time we've seen a game with true artistry being used but all because the textures are a bit murky and lo res at close range, apparently it's a huge ugly mess of a game and John Carmack can go and **** himself.

Well, I for one think it's absolutely fantastic and not only to look at. The shooting mechanics are solid, as you would expect but still a lot of games get this feeling wrong. Character movement is just right and the racing is great. Voice acting is good, the characters look brilliant, even the general NPCs look better than some lead characters in other games.

Of course I have some gripes as there's some texture pop in, although it's not been that apparent for me, and yes at close range the textures lack definition but I think the fact that everywhere in the game looks pretty unique and I haven't noticed a repeated area makes up for it. Obviously the launch was a bit of a mess and the game wouldn't even start for me until I messed around for almost an hour so I get why some people are pissed off.

11. tranc3

tranc3 ADHD Modder

I haven't had any problems since the patch, and even before that it I was only having the texture pop in issue, and fixed that with a few tweeks. Game is running solid on my system and looks fine. I hear ATI is still having a problem but I can't confirm that. Nvidia has a guide on setting it up if you look around.

-edit
    You can tell that the charters have a much higher resolution texture then the world.
    [​IMG]

Last edited: 12 Oct 2011
  12. phinix

phinix RIP Waynio...

I finally tried it yesterday, it doesn't look that bad I guess.
    However I found one thing annoying - every time I move fast to the left or right or other direction, textures are low res and first half a second or so, then change to high - like loading it slowly or something. Did anyone notice it too? Why is it happening, is it hdd too slow? Should I install it on ssd?

13. thehippoz

just beat it.. pretty short ending really

[​IMG]

would have liked to have seen a little more.. but the bfg was nice to see up close.. it was almost as big as supermonkeys toys

[​IMG]

can try this.. the textures load in once at the start, but after that it should be good

http://forums.steampowered.com/forums/showthread.php?t=2154053

14. scott_chegg

scott_chegg Minimodder

Good find thehippoz. The hq high spec file has completely elimated the texture pop in.

15. Pete J

Pete J Employed scum

Finished it.

VERY disappointed by the ending. The story was all over the place and I still don't know why I had to do any of the objectives.

Luckily I'm in an indifferent kind of mood so I'm not too upset. The combat was more or less solid, though the melee should've had a wider area of effect.

16. mav2000

mav2000 In Training

I like the gameplay, but I am just at the begining of the game as of now...seems to be fun though, nothing in the story seems to fit in right now...I wish the tasks were more than go here go there types.

But all in all, I am enjoying it right now. BTW< whats the best driver for ATI and this game? Tried 11.9, but having all types of screen tearing issues.

17. phinix

phinix RIP Waynio...

Cheers, I will try that.
    Been playing it for a while and like it. Not love it, but like it. gameplay is nice, it "calls me back" every day when come back home, so its good:)
    So far I like it, will see what happens...:cooldude: