1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Other The Worst Game You Own

Discussion in 'Gaming' started by LeMaltor, 20 Oct 2011.

1. sotu1

sotu1 Ex-Modder

Frickin love that game! I never play racers but that one I loved!

Worst game purchased was ET: Quake Warts. So desperately wanted to fall in love with that but didn't. Put me off Brink too.

2. Da_Rude_Baboon

Da_Rude_Baboon What the?

That is what happens when the publisher and not the developer owns the name.

3. GuilleAcoustic

GuilleAcoustic Ook ? Ook !

It was a damn good game IMHO. I admit that the begining of the game is a little long, but if you go past the 2 first hour it became really good.

I second Smiffy with NFS:Hot pursuit (2010). I bought it because I did loved the old version ... but the remake is a real piece of $h!t !

4. Droih

Droih Your too close if you can read this

Alice: Madness Returns - How can they leave it this buggy for this long!?

5. BentAnat

BentAnat Software Dev

Games I actually OWN (and not just borrowed, or played and hated):

Elder Scrolls: Oblivion. - Not because it was bad (it wasn't), but because I realised that I hate sandboxes. As a consequence I didn't play so many games, and don't regret that decision.

S.T.A.L.K.E.R. - f*** this game... honestly, I hated every second of the 20 minutes I spent playing it. Sluggish, laggy, just simply no fun.

King Kong - again: EFF this. and it got good reviews. It just bored me to tears, and throwing sticks around at **** was also just less fun than slow death.

Shitean Quest/Titan Crap - As Draksis mentioned, I actually bought the game so we could LAN it with expansion (after having been assured time and time again that the bugs were sorted). Turns out that there's a bug that just doesn't end the first act... no matter what you do. Tried rebooting, restarting, backtracking, finishing every single sidequest, going back in single player mode... after 5 or 6 hours of this, I flipped out, snapped the game disc, and gave the expansion to the next person I saw... That's not an exaggeration.

6. Sketchee

Sketchee Suddenly, looters! Hundreds of 'em!

Haha! I remember getting this game free with a monitor and loving it! There are some terrible mechanics granted, but running from the mega t-rex scripted bits were pure awesomeness. I can't think of many games that have comparable 'oh crap oh crap oh crap... RUN!' frantic moments as this :D

I'm gonna have to play it again now...

7. Phil Rhodes

Phil Rhodes Hypernobber

I quite like Far Cry 2. Very atmospheric. Flawed, but I finished it, which is extremely rare for me these days. Not in any sense a sequel to Far Cry, but that doesn't make it a bad game.

Never really got on with Arma - the only game I've bought in 18 months. Requires a level of discipline and cooperation entirely absent from the fourteen-year-old American Metallica fans which make up 90% of the internet.

P

8. Marvin-HHGTTG

Marvin-HHGTTG CTRL + SHIFT + ESC

Any and all of the following:
    • TF2 - just not my cup of tea. Played for 30 mins, and that was enough to ensure I wouldn't again. Can't complain too much - came free in the Orange Box
    • Juiced - requires no comment
    • NFS: Shift 1 - just terrible feeling handling/controls, yet the thing was advertised as a proper racer.
    • Grid - see Shift
    • Arma II - really want to like it, but the control layout (separate buttons to crouch and stand up?) and finicky-ness killed it for me
    • Dirt 1 - Something really off about it feel-wise, that was mercifully rectified in Dirt 2
    • Section 8 - Just a crap UT wannabe that's 7 years too late
    • Nation Red - Controls didn't even work
    • Darksiders - After many hyped this as pretty good, I found that I had to unplug all my peripherals besides my KB/mouse to play, and required an Xbox controller on PC. After I'd jumped through all these hoops, I found a rather poor port (no graphics options really), that felt like Dynasty Warriors without the pretense of a battle.

Some of these aren't necessarily terrible, but with the general high regard some of these are held in, they were seriously disappointing.

9. BentAnat

BentAnat Software Dev

I just realised I have 2 copies of King Kong... I bought one, and got one free with some graphics card as well. I threw up before I got to the t-rex part.

more on the "island of death" list:

NFS: Prostreet - How many times can you hear an overly excited announcer say "Ryan Cooper" as you drive past? Sudden slowdown on some of the high speed runs served no purpose but to make the game harder than it should be, and s***.

NFS: Shi(f)t - Being an avid Forza and GT player (GT not since 4, admittedly), I just can't find my feet here. confusing menu system, weird physics, controller layout that was done by a 4 year old with a wax crayon (probably the same 4 year old - but a different colour crayon - that designed the cars' handling)...

Project Sylpheed - Not a supre bad game, but impossible to get over half way, because you have to get Korean-Starcraft-Player-obsessive about the game to get further... holy mother it's hard... And the storyline is not just any cheese, but that weird spanishs tuff with the fly larvae in it...

10. TheButler

TheButler What's a Dremel?

Brink - Visually good but poor gameplay
    C&C 4 - Big fan of series but ruined at the end. EA - What were you thinking?
    Black Ops - Buggy and boring. So bad I will not be buying MW3
    Shift 2 is on the list only because trying to play multiplayer is such a nightmare over a LAN.

11. mrbungle

mrbungle Undercooked chicken giver

Far Cry 2.

It just felt like some god awful tech demo, think it needed patching to get it to run on ATi hardware at any reasonable rate when released?

AVP 2010 one is a close 2nd, just had none of what made the original 2 special.

12. Volund

Volund Am I supposed to care?

Homefront..... mainly because it was hyped as a awesome story/single player experience, and then turned into the sub 4 hour crapfest of a campaign, with awful voice acting, characterization, etc. I don't think I've ever played a more linear game in my life.

And Multiplayer was bugged for the first month or so, not that I'd play it anyway after how lousy the campaign was.

13. Otis1337

Otis1337 aka - Ripp3r

Brink.... waste of money

14. Paradigm Shifter

Paradigm Shifter de nihilo nihil fit

Nah, it's not a very good game. It's OK and I might dislike it less if it hadn't been called Deus Ex, but you are right that it is totally, completely forgettable. I started a second playthrough to see if I'd missed anything besides some of the ridiculously-hidden things for stupid achievements, realised I'd actually seen all of the game and stopped bothering. I didn't like a single character,
    was pretty disappointed to see that Megan et al had survived and were merely 'captured'...
    I found myself wanting to just go around killing every bipedal humanoid I encountered. Hated the boss fights, the battery-powered takedowns, the hacking minigame, the 'multiple routes' that didn't provide you with options beyond 'kill all enemies' and 'sneak around'.

I might get the DLC if it's cheap this Christmas. If it's not, I won't waste my money.

Honestly, I went into Crysis 2 with no expectations at all and enjoyed it about as much as I did DXHR.

FFXIII was terrible; if it hadn't been called FF, it might have got away with it in the modern market. But none of 'em have been any good since IX... that was the last one that seemed to show some original thinking in terms of plot.

I agree also. Never understood the love of Bioshock. Art-Deco-Dumbed-Down-System-Shock-2 hyped for the ADHD generation.

I can't come up with a single 'worst' game I own... many have been disappointments of varying levels over the years. Force Commander (if anyone remembers the first 3D Star Wars strategy game) was terrible... C&C: Tiberian Sun I utterly hated; the graphics, the story, the units, the missions... everything about it. Unlimited SaGa on the PS2... was supposed to be great, was terrible. All Codemasters games over the last few years, particularly the designed-to-be-cheating F1 2010. That game - or rather the 'support' for it - made me decide to boycott Codemasters. Then there are a selection of games that I think are really bad due to being poor ports, or generally not up to what they should be, like Fallout 3/New Vegas, or Unreal Tournament 3. Then there are games which are good, but patches keep moving the goalposts - like Civ 5 - which really annoys me so they start to lose favour that way. I don't like Left 4 Dead (can't get into it) but I can't call it a 'bad' game, really... it does what it says, I just don't enjoy it like I expected to.

But if I was to pick one game, it would probably be Titan Quest. I'd go into detail, but it's all water under the bridge now (especially since Iron Lore are closed) so no point opening old wounds again.

15. LeMaltor

LeMaltor >^_^

I'd forgot about Civ 5, I think I played about 20 mins on launch day, not touched it since.

16. jrduquemin

jrduquemin Minimodder

+1 to that, biggest piece of crap I've played in years. My parents bought it for me for Christmas a couple of years ago, I haven't the heart to tell them I've only played it once :)

17. Tribble

Tribble Steals Avatars

The worst game i own and i have the collectors edition Final Fantasy XIV

18. TheKrumpet

TheKrumpet Once more, into the breach!

All the BioShock hate in this thread makes me sad :(. I'll just resort to calling you all philistines.

S.T.A.L.K.E.R. to date is the worst game I own. Buggy as hell, no sense of any kind of direction, terrible animations, confusing and unexplained game mechanics. I may have enjoyed it had I put a little more time into learning it but in all honesty the first impression just turned me away instantly.

19. .//TuNdRa

.//TuNdRa Resident Bulldozer Guru

I have to agree on the S.T.A.L.K.E.R hatred, with the exception of Call of Pripyat. That one was amazing.

20. David

David μoʍ ɼouმ qᴉq λon ƨbԍuq ϝʁλᴉuმ ϝo ʁԍɑq ϝμᴉƨ

No, the original Just Cause. I have steered well clear of JC2, despite Joe's review frottage ;); because I remember some people getting all lubed up about the first one, too.

S.T.A.L.K.E.R is a tough one. I enjoyed the first one, after some serious investment; I agree it doesn't go out of it's way to endear you from the outset, but the time and effort were worth it IMHO.

It took a great deal of effort to begin to enjoy Clear Sky, the bugs were a real PITA; so much so that I eventually left it on the shelf for six months, before trying it again.

I haven't tried Call of Pripyat, because I'm getting a little tired of working hard to enjoy a game - I'll get to it eventually, probably.

Last edited: 26 Oct 2011