1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Other What's all this talk of a Mass Effect 3 boycott about!?

Discussion in 'Gaming' started by mattyh1995, 27 Feb 2012.

1. mattyh1995

mattyh1995 Minimodder

I've been doing my research on the internet and found a lot of people arn't happy with BioWare, but nobody specifies why? I personally can't wait for ME3. Can't really understand why people will want to boycott? Can someone shed some light pl0x

2. Gunsmith

Gunsmith Maximum Win

3. RedFlames

RedFlames ...is not a Belgian football team

i agree that [essentially] slapping a dlc code on anything with the mass effect logo on is a bit mental, but i'm not going to cancel my order over it..

day one dlc doesn't bother me [i get the arguments both for and against]... pre-order bonuses don't bother me all that much...

4. mattyh1995

mattyh1995 Minimodder

Hmm.. This is indeed EA showing their real side. But it isn't boycott worthy :S People should just ignore all the preorder bonuses and weapons that give you an edge and just buy the damn game! BioWare have worked hard on this and they deserve the support.

As for this day one DLC, it's only £7.99. Why is the gamer community slowly being taken over by blood gushing teenage girls :( Makes me sad.

5. oasked

oasked Stuck in (better) mud

People get a bit melodramatic about these things - it's just DLC. Just don't bother buying / downloading the DLC then and be happy. :)

6. Sloth

Sloth #yolo #swag

The whole subject of day one DLC in my mind is a case of working great in theory, then being horribly executed. I'm a huge fan of an incremental approach to releasing games. Sell a core game, or just the first levels of a game, at a reduced price, then sell the rest as DLC. Reduces the cost for those just wanting to try the game without much risk while still maintaing the same cost as current marketing for those who know they want the whole thing.

The problem is situations like ME3 which I personally don't like. If there's day one DLC then there's obviously more content that could have been in the game upon release which you are now being asked to purchase separately. If this is the case, why is the game still full price when content is being left out? It's not exactly tempting to buy a $60 game, the same price as other games on release which don't have DLC, and be told that I don't even have everything.

7. Beasteh

Beasteh What's a Dremel?

It doesn't seem like any of this DLC adds much to the game. Doesn't affect the plot, anyways.

Surprised they're not selling a hat for Shepard.

8. JPClyde

JPClyde What's a Dremel?

The problem isn't about DLC it's what should be in the game, EA have removed a part of the game and charging you an extra £30 for you get it at launch. The standard edition has a chapter/mission removed and is £39.99 but the collectors edition which has the said chapter/mission is £69.99 from Game for the PS3 versions.

Here this will explain it a bit better http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ri0v...xt=C3242a84UDOEgsToPDskJTkEFndEHP8h9NP3QwvLCW

http://www.pcworld.com/article/2505...ss_effect_3_dlc_prompts_calls_to_boycott.html

Last edited: 27 Feb 2012
  9. The_Beast

The_Beast I like wood ಠ_ಠ

Kinda dumb that you get exclusive items for ordering from certain retailers, I've always hated that. But then again, most of the time it's something really dumb or is something similar is unlocked later in the game.

10. Pete J

Pete J Employed scum

TAKE MY MONEY BIOWARE!

How do I get this day one release DLC? I've looked for it on Origin but to no avail. I assume I'll have to wait to launch day (so close!) before I can purchase it?

Now I need to play that Kingdom of Arumar (or whatever the hell it's called) demo to get additional DLC...

11. mucgoo

mucgoo Minimodder

What clyde said.
    I'll probably pick up the GOTY edition in a years time with all the content bundled.

12. mattyh1995

mattyh1995 Minimodder

I understand where some people are coming from, but theres no need to avoid such a good game series all together D:

BioWare can have all the money out of me for additional content, I love the ME games! I'm reading the books as well. Call me a nerd, but I love it!

13. Beasteh

Beasteh What's a Dremel?

Does it matter if some of the content's been taken out, so long as the standalone game still gives you reasonable bang for your buck? I could understand the anguish if the game was going to be about 6-8 hours long without paying for DLC - but that doesn't seem to be the case this time round.

For example, in Mass Effect 2, if you don't have the DLC, Zaeed simply isn't there. But it makes no difference to the game. How could it - the plot would make no sense if it did. Wouldn't put it past EA to try, mind you. Same with the other extras - the game's shaping up to have more weapons than ME2, even without DLC.

14. adidan

adidan Guesswork is still work

Pretty much like with Dragon Age 2 and the Prince what's-his-name quests. I happened to get that DLC but wouldn't really have missed him if he wasn't there as it wasn't fundamental to the story.

15. GoodBytes

GoodBytes How many wifi's does it have?

Publishers are experimenting with DLC and MUCH shorter games. So far, the numbers shows that people want shorter games, and day 1 DLC, and pay the game full price.

I think the boycot is just fluff, people would still buy the game, and buy the DLC.

16. loftie

loftie Multimodder

What I dislike about Bioware and DLC was, as an example, on Dragon Age there was a guy who was like "Oh I need help, would you like to help me?" Select yes, opens page to the DLC. Or something along those lines. I can't remember it being like that for ME2 thankfully. If they have dlc, they should be essentially what felt like ramming it down my throat.

With day 1 DLC, I dont really care, so long as the main game is good and isn't short. Though I suppose we all have different ideas on what short it. I still think the best example of DLC done to date is Borderlands.

17. Zurechial

Zurechial Elitist

The fact that I think Mass Effect is a woefully overrated and overhyped makes it an easy decision for me to boycott it.

This DLC ******** raises a whole new moral question on piracy if you ask me. I'm extremely principled about buying games and not pirating them, but DLC...
    DLC is another matter and I could very easily understand someone torrenting DLC out of spite and principle.

Either way, I'll wait for ME3 to show up cheap in a steam sale with the DLC bundled before I even consider buying it. The story isn't so engaging or exciting that spoilers would ruin it at this point, to be honest.

18. JPClyde

JPClyde What's a Dremel?

I disagree in RPGs people want long game with a great story, I agree people will still pay the huge amounts of money asked for these games and that's how these companies win and they wonder why rentals and second hand shops make more money than them.

All these day 1 DLCs and extra weapons etc. have already been created while the game was in development so your not paying for extra work they have done after the game has been released the coding is just sat in someone's hdd, they have blatantly removed them for extra money.

Now if the extra content was free to people who bought an original no matter what version, I don't think anyone would complain, only to buy a pass if you rented or bought the game second hand like they did with ME2.

19. Krazeh

Krazeh Minimodder

According to who? Has there been a statement made by Bioware to that effect or is it just guesswork from people who don't really have any idea what goes on inside Bioware?

20. KayinBlack

KayinBlack Unrepentant Savage

If it's day 1 DLC, the only time it could have been created is during development, so logically it was left out of the game on purpose for the sole reason of extorting it out of the buyers.

Haven't bought anything new in a long, long time. Won't be at this rate.