Motors Speed camera...

Discussion in 'General' started by DeadP1xels, 17 May 2012.

1. mark1903

mark1903 Minimodder

I got caught by a camera doing 82mph on the M6 and got offered the speed awareness course but no forces in Scotland offer the course so had to cough up the fine sadly.

2. sp4nky

sp4nky BF3: Aardfrith WoT: McGubbins

In what way is the van parked illegally?

3. Pookeyhead

Pookeyhead It's big, and it's clever.

You could be charged or issued a NIP if the police were being particularly retarded, but you'll never be prosecuted, and it's not even unlikely the CPS would take it further... it's guaranteed. There's simply no way a standard car's speedometer is calibrated to within 1mph, and therefore absolutely impossible to prove that the driver wasn't driving at an indicated 30mph in a car that was reasonably maintained and in perfect working order as designed.

Personally if someone tried to prosecute me for doing 31mph I'd LOVE to take that to court. It would be a giggle.

4. Cerberus90

Cerberus90 Car Spannerer

As speedos are made to over-read, I think they can and possibly have prosecuted (not entirely sure on the meaning of that) for 31 in a 30. Sure I've seen it on PH.

A speedo should never over-read, and most likely will never read the correct speed, they will almost always read under, so as to avoid any problems like the gauge/car manufacturer being sued for an incorrect speedo.

5. Pookeyhead

My mustang under reads slightly at low speeds, and slightly over reads at higher speeds. I've checked against several GPS systems. I can calibrate it anyway via the PCM port for when you install gear upgrades. Quite a lot of cars allow this.

6. Atomic

Atomic Gerwaff

Oh yeah no chance of it going to court, was more a theoretical illustration that the law doesn't state there is a 10% + 2MPH tolerance and it's just a guideline.

7. Pookeyhead

Indeed it is guidance only... I'd never try to play the 10% game.

I've seen some weird variances in speedos though. Most do over read thankfully, but maybe it's a EU thing, as I've had, and seen several US cars that seem to be pretty much accurate. The Mustang seems to be slightly over at 30.. hard to be too precise but maybe .5mph or so. This was corroborated with a few GPS systems, and a Gatso camera near me has a digital speed readout on it's approach (which I assume is reasonably accurate otherwise what would be the point) and when I set the mustang's cruise at dead on indicated 30mph, the gatso's numbers fluctuate between 30 and 31 which also backs this up.

A friend has a C6 'vette that also seems to read similarly at low speeds. Neither of our cars have been modified (nothing in the drivetrain anyway)

8. Guest-44432

Guest-44432 Guest

Urm, can you not see the big green grass verge the van is parked on...

9. Guest-44432

Guest-44432 Guest

The law will not state that claim, because they know people will try to get clever on it.

Now let's say the motorway speed limit has increased to 80MPH, with the 10% + 2MPH, the tolerance will let you get away with doing 90MPH.

At the end of the day, speed limits are there, because they know people will break them, and it's a easy money making revenue.
    20MPH zone are being put into force, with more talivans parked up to catch people out.

I average over 100000miles each year. Being a professional driver, I have to know the in's and outs of the laws and tolerances. By using the 10% + 2MPH, it has never put on the spot of ever having a speeding fine. My license is my job, and I will do anything and find a loophole to protect it.
    (Also good to have a Sargent as a best mate, to give you all the information). :)

10. sp4nky

sp4nky BF3: Aardfrith WoT: McGubbins

Yes, I can. I'm just uncertain about which part of the highway code says you must not park on big green grass verges. This is the relevant section of the highway code and none of it appears to say this guy has done anything wrong.

11. Krikkit

Krikkit All glory to the hypnotoad! Super Moderator

Quite - iirc the EU has mandated that a speedo can't legally under-represent the speed of a vehicle, so most manufacturers aim for +8-10% to keep themselves covered.

12. Guest-44432

Guest-44432 Guest

Have a read of this. :)

13. lilgoth89

lilgoth89 Captin Calliope

404 ;)

14. Guest-44432

Guest-44432 Guest

Sorry, trying to link things on my phone is a pain, as it doesn't allow the link to work.

Just google parking on grass verges law.
    Grass verges are owned by the council, and they have a byelaw to protect the turf/Plants and trees.

15. steveo_mcg

steveo_mcg What's a Dremel?

Seriously if your licence is that important then surely just sticking to the posted limit is a safer bet... :wallbash:

16. Guest-44432

Guest-44432 Guest

I'm sure if I stuck to 40mph on every single carriage way, you would get feed up, and then no doubt drop a couple cogs to overtake me, by which time you would be passing me at 80mph+
    This is why I drive at 50mph, 10mph over the limit, but the police do not see this as a problem, as they only see the idiots that do the speed to overtake me, and they become the ones that cause danger on the roads.

A good example of that - I was driving up the north Devon link road at 50mph (40MPH limit for HGV) keeping the traffic from tail backing. I went past a police bike that was parked waiting. The car driver behind be decided to do a dangerous manoeuvre by overtaking on a brow of the hill, with in seconds the police pulled out and caught up with the car driver and pulled him over.
    The moral of the story - You can get away with speeding as long as you are seen being safe doing so.

17. suenstar

suenstar Collector of Things

18. Guest-44432

Guest-44432 Guest

19. Atomic

Atomic Gerwaff

Seems to say it's not an offence? The van in the picture you posted isn't an HGV and is not causing an obstruction to either the road or public footpath (as there isn't one)... looks legally parked to me.

The law doesn't include a tolerance as the speed limit is exactly that a fixed speed limit. The tolerances are only there as guidelines for prosecution. Doing 31mph in a 30mph limit is still breaking the law, not getting prosecuted is a not an indication of you being in the right.

Speed limits are not there to make money, as they were introduced many decades before fixed or mobile speed cameras were in general use.

They are there to stop idiots travelling at excessive speed and causing death or injury to themselves or innocent members of the public and then the Police having to close a road, causing even more inconvenience to road users.

If you license is that important to you maybe you should be paying attention to the road in front of you and the speed limits rather than the people breaking the speed limit overtaking you.

20. dead beat

dead beat Rippin six 4 life

Does your tacho not get regularly checked then?