1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Motors Speed camera...

Discussion in 'General' started by DeadP1xels, 17 May 2012.

1. julianmartin

julianmartin resident cyborg.

10%+2 is 46mph. You're driving more than 20% over the limit.

I can't wait until VOSA catches you.

Speeding HGVs = even less cool than speeding cars.

2. Guest-44432

Guest-44432 Guest

BTW Nice quick edit.:D

It is not an offence in law to park a motor vehicle, other than an HGV, on a grass verge unless it causes an obstruction or a Traffic Regulation Order (TRO) or byelaw is in force prohibiting it.

A byelaw was made by us in 1956 which makes it an offence to drive or place a vehicle or cause a vehicle to be driven or placed upon any road margin to which the byelaw applied in such a manner as to injure or be likely to injure any turf or any tree, shrub or plant growing thereon.

The byelaw applies to any road margin, which was in or beside a public road and was laid or sown with grass or planted with trees and shrubs and maintained constantly in good order for ornamental purposes and has a sign on it indicating that the byelaw applies.

Whilst the byelaw is still in force, municipal boroughs were excluded and as the verges to which it applies must be maintained constantly for ornamental purposes and have a sign maintained on site, these factors will not apply in many cases.

So it is illegally, to park on grass verges.

Correct in some aspects, but it your speedo is reading 30mph, and the vehicle is travelling at say 33mph, you are not breaking the law, as cars speedos does not need to be recalibrated every so many years. HGV's are different, and the speedos are calibrated every so many years.
    As Krikkit has stated, Manufactures make their speedos under read, as they do not want to be liable for prosecution.
    This is why we have tolerances "Because nothing is 100% accurate"

Correct - But now, speed limits are being reduced more and more, so they can catch people out, so it is a money making scheme nowadays. But they cover themself's by calling it "Safety"

Motorway speed limits was introduced back when cars had drum brakes, bicycle wheels, and no safety features. They could quite easily increase the speed limit, as modern cars are more safer. But they won't increase it because, they can make money out of it.

Correct. Sounds like you are from the services, by trying to contradict my knowledge...

Where has this come from? You're starting to sound like bit of a nob...

I drive/match my speed to the conditions, and how far I can see. I'm aware of what's going on around me at all times, so I will be checking my mirrors, and anticipating which idiot is going to overtake me before a round about, knowing that, that idiot is going to do a harsh brake, completely leaving me with no braking distances to stop. Because the idiot wanted to get in front of me, cause I was driving in a safe manner.

I also love the idiots, that try to either undertake you or overtake you on a roundabout, even though I have used both lanes to block any vehicles getting in the way of my turning point on my trailer.

I also love the car drivers that overtake you, only to get in front and then slow you down.

I also love the idiots that think its funny driving at 50mph on a motorway, forcing me into the middle lane to overtake, causing inconvenience to over road users. Then for them to see you pull along side them and they match your speed, keeping you out in the middle lane.

I also...

See I can go on all day at how unprofessional car drivers are, and how they don't see what goes on around them, and what they cause, because they are unaware of it.

Last edited by a moderator: 18 May 2012
  3. Guest-44432

Guest-44432 Guest

Your tacho can't tell the law what road you are on, unless you are caught speeding at the time on that road.

If you are using a analogue tacho, and you do more than 100kph, you will get an infringement.

If you are using a digital tacho, you will get a "Over Speed" sign flash up on your dash if you go over 90kph for more then 2mins.

See, proof that the law has tolerances.

Don't try sticking your 2cents in, just cause you see others trying too...

VOSA can't do you for speeding. VOSA can only fine you for un-roadworthy vehicles, breaking driving rules etc.

4. steveo_mcg

steveo_mcg What's a Dremel?

Speed cameras do not make money, fines do not make money. Once the costs of enforcing the fines are taken into account there is no profit in enforcing the law, please stop with the daily wail sh*t. Even chief car clown Clarkson admitted as much when he was interviewing the transport minister of the day.

Cars may now have fantastic brakes and all sorts of safety equipment but there is also an awful lot more of them than when the speed limits were introduced. Look at the old footage of 1960's motorways you can count the car volume with a pencil and paper. And thats before you get to HGV's, which I'm sure you'll know, have >10 times the kinetic energy of a car and don't have brakes to match.

Last edited: 18 May 2012
  5. dead beat

dead beat Rippin six 4 life

Ah yes. It's been a while since I did my HGV.

6. Invictus.

Invictus. Minimodder

Technically isn't speeding breaking driving rules?

7. Guest-44432

Guest-44432 Guest

Now you're trying to act clever...

Driving rules, as in - Driving time, daily/weekly rest etc.

8. Invictus.

Invictus. Minimodder

I wasn't trying to act clever at all actually.. was just thinking about what i'd constitute as "Driving rules"

9. Guest-44432

Guest-44432 Guest

Do you have anything to back up your claim? Cause I'm sure they are making millions, let alone the officer who gets commission etc.

Also, you can't compare kinetic energy, as you are excluding the vehicle mass, how many axles it has, whether it is a solid load, or a liquid load. Whether the vehicle is fitted with an exhaust brake, aswell as a retarder etc...

10. steveo_mcg

Officer commission!?! Do you have anything to back up that?

Nope kinetic energy is one constant you can compare, you canny change the laws of phyicics. Ek= 0.5m * v^2 whether you carrying wheatabix or petrol. Your braking characteristics may change with a liquid load sloshing about but your initial ke is the same. A 12 ton truck has 10 times the energy of a 1.5 t car doing exactly the same speed.

Point is that while a car might be able to stop a relative dime (vs a 1960 motor) that hgv sitting too close can not.

11. Atomic

Atomic Gerwaff

No money is being made by the 'Safety Camera Partnership Schemes', any revenues from the cameras go back into the scheme to help fund the ongoing costs. Both the local authority and Police have to pay for their running, and they cost a lot more to run than the revenues from the fines!

You even saying that officers who run the cameras get commission shows you know nothing about the schemes.

12. Guest-44432

Guest-44432 Guest

So, you had to by past my question by using your own.

You simple know nothing about trucks and there stopping distances. Did you even know that all safety systems comes from trucks before getting put into cars? Volvo and Man have spent millions in investing in these todays technology.

A liquid tanker will have more kinetic energy than a solid load, as the liquid does not stop moving.

You will notice this, if you watch a tanker when it either comes to a halt or when its going up the gear box, by the pulling and pushing effect that the liquid load creates.

Put it this way, you can be come to a stop, and then a couple of seconds later, the truck will move forward a couple of feet due to the liquid rushing forward.

Do you even know why HGV are now restricted to 56mph (90kph) from 62mph (100kph). And it's got nothing to do with saving fuel...

13. Atomic

Atomic Gerwaff

Excuse the double post but I had to reply to the above as it was just pure fiction.

A bylaw (no E) is only applicable to the local authority (generally a city or county council) that put them in place. So yes parking on verges in Buckinghamshire is illegal but not necessarily anywhere else.

No, you are still breaking the law by exceeding the speed limit no matter what your speedo says, if the speedo in the car is under-reading then you would have a legitimate defense in court and might escape prosecution but you would still have broken then law.

It's not a money making scheme, as I explained in my last quickly replied post.

I'll happily contradict you 'knowledge' when it's wildly inaccurate. 20mph zones are put in built up urban areas where the likelihood of pedestrians crossing the road is very high. I'm sure you've seen the adverts on TV about the difference in stopping distances between 20 and 30mph. They save lives, that's a fact.

No doubt, the job of a lorry driver isn't easy at the best of times, I respect you guys for the miles you drive and in general the good safety record haulage drivers have. People are in too much of a rush these days, I'll happily let a bus or lorry out because the 20secs it takes won't impact me.

14. Parge

Parge the worst Super Moderator

Speed limits are put in place to stop people speeding. They provide an indicator of the maximum speed regarded as relatively safe by professionals who drive the road from The Highways Agency. Going above those speeds increases the risk to yourself and other road users. Everyone speeds, yes, but we should all make a conscious effort to stick to the limit as much as possible, if only out of respect to other road users and pedestrians.

There are times when driving faster than the speed limit is probably acceptable, on a long, straight road, with no one about for example, but a blatant disregard for speed limits in general is foolhardy.

15. sp4nky

sp4nky BF3: Aardfrith WoT: McGubbins

For a start, byelaws are spelt with an E.

noizdaemon666 likes this.
  16. Cei

Cei pew pew pew

17. Guest-44432

Guest-44432 Guest

This thread is just getting silly by everyone contradicting each other.

Think its time to close it...

18. DeadP1xels

DeadP1xels Social distancing since 92

Wow seems this has gone off somewhere completely different :D

I agree its probebly time to close it, lessons have been learnt on my part and its just waiting to see if the postman brings me the bad news or not

Fingers crossed its not

19. steveo_mcg

You'll note in my above post I said initial KE, under braking the states change (which i also observed). It does not have more KE but fluids behave differently under forces than solids. 40 tonnes of petrol has the same mass as 40 tonnes of wheatabix.

Are you contesting that an HGV has the same stopping distance as a car? Didn't think so. My point, which seems to have been lost on you, is that the speed limit has stayed as it is despite increases in safety gear partly because the roads are now far more congested and even if all cars can stop on a relative dime heavy trucks can't even at 62mph your stopping distance is how many times more than a car?

Lorry brakes are not proportional to their KE when compared with a car thus why a truck has a longer stopping distance. If it had proportionally the same available braking force then they would have basically the same stopping distance (load types excluded).

Does it really matter if a Lorry is only travelling at 62 whilst a car is trucking along at 70? The difference in their KE is still orders of magnitude thanks to the huge difference in mass.

20. Atomic

Atomic Gerwaff

Either way you'll certainly be more aware of your speed which can only be a good thing :)

Make sure you phone your insurance and inform them straight away if you do get points as your policy could be invalidated if you don't tell them. It'll only go up by £50 (or so) on your next renewal for your first SP30 speeding offence so don't worry about too much.

I still have to declare my 2 speeding offences to the insurance for another 5 months so I'm no saint! :hehe: