1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

PSU Enermax Liberty 400W PSU Vs E8500 + GTX 480! PhysX Challenge!

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by Blogins, 8 Apr 2012.

?

Enermax Liberty 400W PSU Vs E8500 + GTX 480

1. YES, it will work flawlessly!

30 vote(s)
    57.7%
  2. NO, it will never work!

22 vote(s)
    42.3%
  1. The_Crapman

The_Crapman World's worst stuntman. Lover of bit-tech

Fire extingishers at the ready.....

2. Blogins

Blogins Panda have Guns

I'll just run a razor blade along one of my water cooling pipes! :D

Also really need to install an SSD for the operating system and sneak a Blu-Ray drive in somehow.

I really like how it's shaping up, you can see my little Enermax PSU in the bottom corner of this photo...

[​IMG]

... and do you know how much time and how many tools it took to fashion that green acrylic under the backplate!

3. The_Crapman

1 pair of scissors and 30 seconds? :p

4. Mac_Trekkie

Mac_Trekkie Source Engine's #1 fan!

Oh yeah I forgot to make this pun earlier when it succeeded: Never Underestimate The Power Of Liberty! *americanflag*

5. Blogins

Blogins Panda have Guns

You should be shot for such a pun! :D

Hopefully collect the 8800GT tomorrow for a clean up, then I got to get my thinking cap on for installation options. Also draining a water loop isn't quite as traumatic as I was led to believe. Getting pretty good at filling the old beastie back up as well!

6. Blogins

Blogins Panda have Guns

Got my PhysX card today from a one booted man! :D

Very nice bit of kit with what looks to be a reference 8800GT through and through. Need to get some new thermal pads for the Memory and VRM then non conductive TIM on the GPU. The water block attached, one DangerDen IONE has been stripped down to its component parts. The rubber felt a little shabby so I used Silicone Grease throughout, in the channels surrounding the rubber itself. Before doing this I used a manicure block around the edges of the DD IONE and the front. It was a little grubby with ingrained dirt that alcohol could not remove so the blocks buffed the DD IONE up surprisingly well.

7. sandys

sandys Multimodder

:D :blush: probably a good idea to rebuild it, it had a lot of use in its time with me then its sat it that box for over a year.

8. Blogins

Blogins Panda have Guns

It's an excellent quality block, should look nice with some UV green dye running through it.

9. sandys

sandys Multimodder

It'll be upside down, you won't see it, You'll have to develop a system of mirrors :D

10. Blogins

Blogins Panda have Guns

Sits on my desk and is just at eye level! Also pleasantly surprised that the DD IONE lines up with my GTX 480 blocks left hand blanking plug. So I can cut a short piece of acrylic tube to support the 8800GT and then use another short extension to provide additional support for the GTX 480.

11. sandys

sandys Multimodder

My only warning to you would be to take care, I ran two 8800s (might of been 7900GTOs, memory is shady about '06) with an FX60 all clocked up on an OCZ 520W SLI PSU (quite an old one, was about 5 years ago, clearly not 85% eff.) it pulled almost 1.1kw from the wall socket under load test rithdrbl and prime etc. and whilst I was making tea thinking to myself wow that PSU is amazing a capacitor melted and fell out of the PSU on to the carpet, could of caused a fire.

Last edited: 22 May 2012
  12. The_Crapman

I had/have 2 7900GTO's! brilliant cards at the time and easy on the eye too. I miss the days when heat pipes were shown facing outwards like they were.
    [​IMG]

13. Blogins

Blogins Panda have Guns

Now I know where where they got the idea for the GTX 690! :rolleyes:

14. Blogins

Blogins Panda have Guns

Here it is...

8800GT naked;

[​IMG]

DangerDen IONE all cleaned up;

[​IMG]

15. Blogins

Blogins Panda have Guns

Leak tested the DangerDen IONE. Noticed a few micro fractures in the acrylic but it's no big deal and the block is leak free! :thumb:

Fancy testing some diamond TIM on the 8800GT since I heard a few good things about it.

16. Blogins

Blogins Panda have Guns

My plans have been thwarted by a code '5d' on my 680i Motherboard! Not a single clue what this indicates!?! Took the 8800 out and it works fine again. Had to re-tangle my loop back together! Any ideas guys?

17. sandys

sandys Multimodder

Have you tested the 8800 standalone in slot 1?

18. Blogins

Blogins Panda have Guns

Nah! Lots of trouble that! :thumb:

I might whack an air cooler on the 8800, then I could pop it in slot 1 that way.

Just gotta dig up my Zalman VGA cooler.

19. Blogins

Blogins Panda have Guns

IT'S ALIVE!!! ...and it's one hell of a monster. Massive hose dangling everywhere! :D

So, YES, my Enermax Liberty 400W can power a 8800GT for PhysX on top of the GTX 480 and E8500! It actually makes quite a difference in Mafia 2, not particularly in raw frames which is around plus 5 but from observation alone the whole thing is noticeably smoother. So happy with my little 8800GT chugging away. At idle it draws an extra 50-60 Watts from the mains and when stressed in Mafia 2 it remains below 500W. Well below the shut down threshold I observed and posted about earlier (at 600W!).

I'll take some snapshots of the rig and benchmarks for shits and giggles. Have some UV Green dye lined up with a cold cathode on order. That should really illustrate how stupendous my custom loop is; but it works so nah! :p

20. The_Crapman

Good work that man!