1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Motors The Official bit-tech F1 2012 Thread - Post season

Discussion in 'General' started by alastor, 7 Dec 2011.

1. Jester_612

Jester_612 "Jammy..."

I don't get why Senna is revered while Hamilton gets the opposite. They both put their cars into positions where the other driver decides if there is going to be a crash of they will be passed. Massa is happier than most to just have a crash.

2. CarlT2001

CarlT2001 What's a Dremel?

No, I don't think any of the drivers are happy to just have a crash.

It was not all praise for Senna when he was driving (I am assuming you mean Ayrton?).
    Some of the stunts he pulled off were also quite outrageous. I remember having exactly the same feelings watching him as I did watching Hamilton last season.

3. sp4nky

sp4nky BF3: Aardfrith WoT: McGubbins

His crashes in successive years at Suzuka, with Alain Prost were indeed quite outrageous. Schumacher's crashes into Damon Hill, etc. have been unforgivable and I'd rank Maldonado's swipe at Hamilton in Belgium along the same lines. Also Hammy's multiple crashes into Massa.

However, it's possible that Maldonado's learned from that, so I won't begrudge him this win. Well done.

4. Canon

Canon Reformed

What indeed. I don't think you've been watching the right show :lol:

5. BentAnat

BentAnat Software Dev

6. Jester_612

Jester_612 "Jammy..."

Are you two the vindictive sort then?

Now because I am too young to have watched the legend, I have only had the experience of the rose tinted aura from the pundits and some people. And it has always made me think that A Senna is the archetype driver, but the evidence has mostly fallen short.

I think Massa is the most aggressive drive out there, at least Trulli didn't get tangled up in the cars stuck behind often.

7. B1GBUD

B1GBUD ¯\_(ツ)_/¯ Accidentally Funny

If you haven't watched the Senna movie then I suggest you should take a look, although the film is "his story", the footage is pretty awesome and you can almost taste the tention between him and Prost.

8. Jester_612

Jester_612 "Jammy..."

I have seen it, and watched stuff from his first test, and seen the oldie stuff on BBC special coverage recently. I thought what I had been saying was that he was dodgey, but still loved for a bizarre reason I can't understand.

9. CarlT2001

CarlT2001 What's a Dremel?

You said that he was revered and didn't understand why Hamilton is treated opposite.

That was not the case at the time. Senna was frowned upon by many as being arrogant and dangerous. So, in some ways, very similar to Hamilton.

10. dragontail

dragontail 5bet Bluffer

11. Canon

Canon Reformed

Except a few minor details;

He didn't become a squeeky little girl when he lost out, as he said many times in interviews failure only made him become better because he became aware of a problem he needed to fix.

He didn't have boy band sideburns and ear rings, infact I'd quite like to get Kimi's view on that.

Senna had natural talent which wasn't always as good as hard training, but he did that too. He had skill and modesty, rare at the time and to this day, it was refreshing and a shame to see it go.

Also, has anyone seen the Hilton Hhonors promos hamilton has been doing, so cheesey, he looks so desperate for money in these it's quite funny.

Grand Prix the killer years is back on iPlayer, I suggest anyone that has not watched it does so now.

12. Joey Propane

Joey Propane What's a Dremel?

To be fair, Hamilton is his first 2 years had as much modesty as he did talent. That's why the couple of years after it was a shame to see him get absorbed by the press, the lifestyle and the pressure that came with it.

Hamilton 2012 has been a return to 2007/2008 in my view. That's why, despite the team making it as hard as bloody possible, he's been on such good form this season.

Seeing him in the press conference after his pole lap in Spain, mentioning Alonso as "my old team mate" and being genuinely sincere in congratulating Maldonado (after what they've been through), made it heartbreaking for me to see him put to the back of the grid.

There's no doubt in my mind he'll leave just as much of a legacy on Formula 1 as Senna has... providing of course he keeps himself on the rails.

13. Canon

Canon Reformed

How's that though? He has won a single championship (which in my view was a diluted version of F1 that will soon be forgotten) and since then hasn't done anything that other drivers havn't done ten times over in the time that has passed.

It agrivates me greatly when the british press get so excited when he accomplishes something so mundanely boring and simple, just because they had been anticipating it for so long, again in my view that is down to the fact that he won a championship, which is fair enough, no mean feat but I don't think it was the most spectacular championship.

As for Alonso, his old team 'mate'...well it's clear how Alonso's year at Mclaren went and how he feels about it. And I reckon that Alonso, as a single person, came out of that year better than the whole team of Mclaren.

This whole 'British team' nonsense drives me up the wall, Mclaren have went to the dogs since Coulthard/Kimi years, despite them doing nothing spectacular, they had things right (bar Ron Dennis, that man needs to dig a hole and stay in it). Anyway, Wasn't Mclaren a kiwi?

[​IMG]

Last edited: 18 May 2012
  14. stonedsurd

stonedsurd Is a cackling Yuletide Belgian

To add fuel to this fire - half of McLaren's owned by the Bahraini's :hehe:

[​IMG]

15. GreatOldOne

GreatOldOne Wannabe Martian

16. BentAnat

BentAnat Software Dev

Meh... that's last year's model... or even earlier... it's got a low nose... everyone knows high noses are faster...

17. Canon

Canon Reformed

Last years? with a rear wing that low and wide it has to be pre-2009! :p

18. BentAnat

BentAnat Software Dev

See... WAY old news. :p

19. bagman

bagman Minimodder

The way that reads sounds like you have something against the British.

20. Canon

Canon Reformed

If I had something against the british I would;

A) Not have a need to mention McLaren.

B) Be irritated by my own reflection.

So neh neh! :lol: