1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Rant Dont know what to get my best man...

Discussion in 'General' started by talladega, 26 May 2012.

1. talladega

talladega I'm Squidward

As the title says, I don't know what to get my best man as a gift. I am getting married June 30th so I need to get something pretty soon.

I am under the impression that it is a common and proper thing to get the best man a gift. Maybe I'm wrong and I am off the hook?

Otherwise.... what do I get him? I am horrible at getting gifts. The one idea I had was to get him a gift card for a hunting/outdoors store as he goes there a lot. Is a gift card too lame?

That's the only idea I have.... :wallbash:

2. longweight

longweight Possibly Longbeard.

I don't think you have to, I would feel a bit weird if the groom gave me a present!

Unless it was a brides maid ;)

3. Margo Baggins

Margo Baggins I'm good at Soldering Super Moderator

I was an usher at my sister wedding, My brother-in-law got all the usher's 2 really nice crystal tumblers, and he got the best man 2 crystal tumblers and a decanter, which was filled with a really nice single malt, which we then all drank from our fancy glasses. I thought that was really nice.

When I was a kid I was the best man at my parents wedding (mum + step dad) got some generic silver wear but that's not really the same as I think I was only the best man to shut me up haha.

It is tradition for the groom to get the best man something and the bride to get the maid of honour something as often they absolutely bust their balls in the run up to a wedding. Sometime's people extend that onto the bridal party ie ushers and bridesmaids, but that part is optional :)

4. Puk

Puk (A shrewd and knavish sprite)

First time I was a best man I recieved a litre of Oban single malt.

First time I was an usher I recieved an engraved yoyo.

Second time best man was an engraved hip flask and second time usher was a spa weekend trip away.

It really doesn't have to be anything expensive, it's nice to get something though as best men usually end up doing a fair bit at weddings. I had to get someone out to break into the grooms car as he'd locked the keys in it and the bride was not to know, quite an eventful day.

5. saspro

saspro IT monkey

Cufflinks.

Not expensive but something that can be used afterwards & will remind them of the day.

6. Awoken

Awoken Gazing at the stars

7. Apocalypso

Apocalypso Fully armed and operational.

I gave my best man a watch, doesn't have to be massively expensive but it's something that'll last and be worn regularly as opposed to special occasions.

8. K404

K404 It IS cold and it IS fast

Cufflinks/ crystal/ tankard/ hipflask.....Engrave as you wish

LOL usually ends up being alcohol related or Man-style

9. Unicorn

Unicorn Uniform November India

When I was an usher at my cousins wedding, he gave myself and the other usher a set of cufflinks that matched the suits that he'd also bought us and the best man & groomsman.

I was best man for my brother and he got me a set of cufflinks as well. I'd say cufflinks or a watch :thumb:

10. kingred

kingred Surfacing sucks!

I was best man at my brothers wedding.

He gave me a very nice cuban, and himself one, and a good 21 year old single malt.

And the number for the brides maid I was flirting with all night.

11. DeadP1xels

DeadP1xels Social distancing since 92

I was a best man at my brothers wedding the best present for the best man is allowing them to grill the **** out of you during the speech and a couple chilled ones at the bar

its usual for the presents to go to bridesmaids and flowersgirls etc

Just when your announcing the gifts make it clear theres a sum of money behind the bar especially for him im sure he will be chuffed with that

12. dancingbear84

dancingbear84 error 404

I got mine some of those glasses made out of recycled beer bottles. It was something different but something that would be used, hopefully, that would be a reminder of the day.
    Not expensive but practical. We got my dad whiskey stones, step dad (usher) and mum a portrait caricature of them both as they live abroad. Flowers for mums and grandparents. A boogieboard notepad for father in law, practical again. Can't remember what the bridesmaids got. The little ones got necklaces I think. The adults got something, the Mrs dealt with that.
    The other thing she did for them which went down really well was to give them a bag with various things in for the day. Bottle of water, gum, flip flops for the evening. If your Mrs hasn't already done it, I can thoroughly recommend flip-flops for the women. They went down really well. You know what women and shoes are like!

Back to the beat man, I'd say get something unique to him and something that will last. If he is into hunting, how about a knife rather than a gift card?

13. stonedsurd

stonedsurd Is a cackling Yuletide Belgian

A watch?

14. longweight

longweight Possibly Longbeard.

I find most of the wedding traditions to be very strange!

15. Tichinde

Tichinde Minimodder

I had a Zippo with my nickname on it.

Was awesome :)

But personalized and usable Cheesecake.

16. Bogomip

Bogomip ... Yo Momma

My brother got me a wallet when I was his best man, I enjoyed that as a gift :)

edit: also don't "grill the **** out of the groom", its his nice day and doesn't want it marred by his so called "best man" telling all his close friends and family about all the terrible things he has done. A few jokes at his expense, fine - but not too much :)

17. October

October Mariachi Style

When I was groomsman for my friend he got me a JD Zippo. I the other groomsman got a wallet, can't really go wrong with stuff like that.

18. goldstar0011

goldstar0011 Multimodder

Hip flask

19. Carrie

Carrie Multimodder

A gift for the best man is tradition so it's up to you whether you want to maintain that tradition and show your thanks to the guy who's standing up there for you (the answer should be yes ;))

Cufflinks, watch, wallet, whatever he would actually want. So if he never wears shirts that require cufflinks don't buy them; if his wallet isn't worn and is a good quality wallet he won't want another one.

I'm a firm believer that a gift card is a cop-out, especially for something like this which deserves thought and a show of appreciation, but if the guy goes to the hunting/outdoors store regularly perhaps they know him there and could give you an idea as to what he'd like.

20. talladega

talladega I'm Squidward

Bought him a machete :rock: