Blogs Should size be the new battleground in the motherboard market?

Discussion in 'Article Discussion' started by brumgrunt, 8 Jun 2012.

1. mclean007

mclean007 Officious Bystander

@Bindi - "we"? Are you now an Asus employee? Forgive me if this is something I've missed.

2. Elton

Elton Officially a Whisky Nerd

Yeah Bindi's an asus employeee.

3. Guest-16

Guest-16 Guest

Look at the locale, and signature :p

I work for ROG dept, but I'm trying to explain what I can from this side of the fence to give everyone a broader understanding of can-do's and cannot-do's.

4. Anfield

Anfield Multimodder

@Bindi, multi gpu as a reason why some people still want atx? Two geforce 690 on a maximus v gene is perfectly possible, so its not really a reason to buy anything bigger than matx, I'd say its more the psychological bit you've mentioned.
    Personally I'm happy with my gene v, even if i have to settle for something less than 2 690s lol (only got a 570), but anyway, that little board does everything it needs to and oc's like mad, so i don't think I'll ever buy a atx board again.

5. l3v1ck

l3v1ck Fueling the world, one oil well at a time.

I can see mATX becoming the standard over ATX soon. Back in the day, my first PC had a separate graphics card, sound card, network card, tv card etc. Since then sound and networking has moved onto the motherboard. Of course then along came a wifi card and a USB port card, but now they're on motherboards too.
    Only the graphics card has remained a constant as a separate card in my PC's over the years.
    mATX will suit most people, though many will still get a full sized ATX case for cooling reasons.

6. Asouter

Asouter --------

7. [USRF]Obiwan

[USRF]Obiwan What's a Dremel?

They should make itX linkable so you can place four boards in a grid to make a 4x4 core machine.

8. jrs77

jrs77 Modder

After thinking about it for a day or two I think there's actually a simple reason for why mini ITX isn't more widespread: laptops/notebooks.

People interested in more powerful rigs usually go with ATX or µATX due to the better cooling and upgradeability. Mini ITX is awesome for HTPCs or low-power office-PCs, but these are usually second or third rigs in addition to the workstation on/under your desk.

I'm going back to µATX myself aswell, as building a mini ITX-system allways requires "special" solutions (smaller PSUs with less and shorter cables, smaller coolers or watercoolers, etc.)

9. Guest-16

Guest-16 Guest

I'll check this tomorrow whether it's a production thing or because retailers aren't picking it up.

10. mars-bar-man

mars-bar-man Side bewb.

If ASUS ever make a RoG ITX board you can be sure as hell I'll be revisiting that form factor and seeing if I can get another small and powerful PC!

Dear Bindi,

MAKE AN ITX RoG BOARD!! I want to spend more money :p

Mars :D

11. Guest-16

Guest-16 Guest

What do you want on it that's not on the P8Z77-I?

12. mars-bar-man

mars-bar-man Side bewb.

RED!

I haven't looked too much into it thought tbh. But I'd like to keep the red and black colour scheme of my PC if I were to move to m-ITX. That's a pretty worthless reason for an RoG board though.

I'm sure there's a few tricks up your sleeves at ASUS that you could pop on to one of the boards.

13. Teelzebub

Teelzebub Up yours GOD,Whats best served cold

Nvidia onboard graphic's, TBH anything else is pretty cr*p for a HTPC

14. Asouter

Asouter --------

15. Guest-16

Guest-16 Guest

Last edited by a moderator: 12 Jun 2012
  16. jrs77

jrs77 Modder

There's a Z68 mini ITX board available with onboard nVidia GFX actually. And it even comes with a PCIe x4 slot for a sound or TV/SAT card.

ZOTAC Z68-ITX WiFi Supreme

It's the only manufacturer so far that seems to have somewhat specialized in mini ITX.

17. Tyinsar

Tyinsar 6 screens 1 card since Nov 17 2007

A quick search of "form factor" here on b-t yields some interesting results. My favourite is: Intel will drop ATX next year :lol:

Anyway, I think the only company that has a decent SFF form factor has been Shuttle. Basically a longer (but not wider) mini-DTX. Two slots, room for some decently powerful GPUs and still fairly small. The extra length allows for more hardware on the motherboard (4+ RAM slots, extra power phases, ...) and it comes closer to matching GPU length (a full size GPU looks silly on an micro-ITX board). I just think it's a shame that Shuttle hasn't done anything with AMD's A-series chips.

Personally I'd like to see a "back of the monitor" standard. It would use the longer Shuttle type motherboard but move the GPU to a slot on the other side (like BTX) and rotate the connector 90 degrees. this would allow a slimmer pizza box shaped system with all the air intakes on one side. It might even be possible to run another 90 degree PCI-e slot on the other side for a TV tuner or better sound or ...

Last edited: 12 Jun 2012
  18. Guest-16

Guest-16 Guest

Ohh haven't seen that. Ballsy, but I wonder how many layers that PCB has and at how much does the Supreme cost? Is it not easier to buy a low profile GT 430 and stuff it in the PCIe 16x slot?

Given cost:performance - is it really worth it to have Nvidia video playback versus Intel or AMD??

Tyinsar - Back of the monitor standard is called whitebook AIO.

Last edited by a moderator: 12 Jun 2012
  19. jrs77

jrs77 Modder

The Zotac Z68-ITX WiFi Supreme is available for some €220.

Sure it's expensive, but if you're aiming for the smallest system possible, where you've got a more beefy GPU then the intel HD + the option for a sound/TV-card that's your only choice I guess.

20. Guest-16

Guest-16 Guest

And how big is that market realistically? A handful people? MOST people will choose an FM1 board in that situation, or they'll opt to go a little bigger and use the PCIe slot. The ROI just isn't realistically there imo.

Tags: Add Tags