1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Windows Windows 8 Marmite thread... Because you either love it or hate it

Discussion in 'Software' started by TheStockBroker, 28 Feb 2012.

?

Windows 8: what is your opinion?

1. Love it: I'm already using it or planning to do so.

59 vote(s)
    41.0%
  2. Hate it: this evil spawn of Satan will never defile the sanctity of my computer.

37 vote(s)
    25.7%
  3. It's OK with a Start Menu replacement and while bypassing Metro.

48 vote(s)
    33.3%
  1. mikeyandrewb

mikeyandrewb What's a Dremel?

How do I do this?

Many Thanks,

2. theshadow2001

theshadow2001 [DELETE] means [DELETE]

3. GoodBytes

GoodBytes How many wifi's does it have?

How is it limiting? Everything you can do on the desktop you can do it in Metro.

Because you are not normal. Even Firefox disabled the ability to have all your previous tabs to load at once as you start it. You are not organize, that's the problem.

I have, I must! Why? because ut screws up the Windows Search. Let's say I want to find a program start with r, or u, well guess what? Instead of getting my results... I'll get a list of "Uninstall" 's and "Read Me" 's. Same for everything else, including links to web pages. It's seriously annoying. So this tells me you don't use Windows 7 as it should. You are supposed to pin all the most used programs on the task bar, and everything else, just type in the search box. Or pin them on the Start menu (were from the freequenly used list, and/or forcing pinning it).

Go on the desktop. You are complaining for nothing.

They are various tweaks on the web. But if you don't want to fiddle with them. Here is a way:
    -> Position the desktop as the first icon in your start screen, if it's not already.
    Now as you log-in, hit the Enter key, it will pick automicaly the first icon/tile in the start screen, which in your case is the desktop.

Moreover, when you log-in what do you normally do? Oh yes... start a program. Why do you need to see a desktop for that first? Just pick your program!

4. impar

impar Minimodder

Greetings!
    Why do you say that?
    I am not defending the ban of Metro\Start Screen in a desktop PC, I am objecting to the forced Metro\Start Screen, with no official way of opting out.
    If you, or anyone else, find Metro\Start Screen useful in a Desktop PC, use them.
    Yep. Still have the screenshot of the addon.
    As for managing it, it can be done, but only in Firefox, Chrome and IE cant handle that kind of (ab)use.
    To have shortcuts available in the Task bar, the Quicklaunch is a better solution than the taskbar pinning. As for new features, are you refering to the jumplists, previews, download progress, etc? I use all of those.
    There is really no point on closing email client and browser for me, I need to use them intensively.

5. theshadow2001

While this is technically true, metro apps seems to be cut down versions of their desktop counter parts. Also the metro interface is clunky and awkward when used with a mouse compared to using it with touch. Just like the desktop is awkward when used with touch as opposed to a mouse (this is why the pro surface tablets have a stylus, to get around the fact that touch and windows desktop don't mix well). Multitasking is a little more awkward in metro once you go over two simultaneous applications. Also in metro you don't have an immediate view of your open applications like you do with a taskbar (yes I know you have the side bar popup thing that shows your running metro apps but it's easy to not realise you have something left running). Metro internet explorer is limiting flash content that can be viewed (there goes looking at pron in metro)

so there are a few of the limiting aspects of metro

6. GoodBytes

Contact the developers and request the desktop features.

Easier to point and click, I find. Especially when using a touchpad. That is one of the reasons why I like the Windows 7 task bar.

This has nothing to do with the apps itself. That is the Metro app management system. You want these advance features, use the desktop.

Contact Microsoft about it. If enough people complain about it, it would be in their best interest to add full Flash support on all websites. Meanwhile, use an alternative web browser.

7. dullonien

dullonien Master of the unfinished.

I say that you seem incapable of understanding the needs of others because you complain about the likes of the start screen because they don't fit with your extremely specific work needs. As Goodbytes says, what exactly is the benefit of Windows booting directly to the desktop instead of to the start screen? What do you do once your computer boots to the desktop? Open a program of some sorts? Firefox or an e-mail client maybe? Why is it harder to click on the program shortcut in the start screen than click on a quicklaunch shortcut etc. I'm struggling to understand the reason why you dislike the start screen, other than it takes up the whole screen (again, why is this a bad thing?). I can understand why you don't want to use Metro apps that are only available in full-screen (or quarter screen, but that's not always very useful), but no-one is forcing you to. The only thing MS is forcing you to use is the start screen, and I can see very little downsides, only increased mouse movement, and a little more organising for those who never organised their start menu, neither outweigh the benefits the start screen gives to the majority of users.

I can't see any benefits of the quicklaunch over pinned programs, they're smaller that's about it! Otherwise, they take up space even when the program is running, as opposed to pinned programs which can change it's state. You cannot access jumplists from a quicklaunch shortcut, but you can from a pinned program. In what way can you back-up your claim that the quicklaunch is a better solution than taskbar pinning?

I can see why you don't close your e-mail client and browser if you use them heavily throughout the day, but not everyone does. I only get a few e-mails every day, mostly junk, so I only need an e-mail client open to check what's come through (alerted by the push notification system), then the e-mail client is closed until another notification comes through. Please tell me you can see the usefulness of this for people who aren't working in an office dealing with e-mails all day? If you are, then your old system still works. The same is true for facebook, twitter, likedin etc., which are very important to a hell of a lot of people. Socially, from my experience of younger people, they communicate more through facebook than they do through e-mail or IM, even text, so these features built-in and able to take advantage of the push notification system is important.

Last edited: 7 Jul 2012
  8. Buzzons

Buzzons Minimodder

There's a GPO that sets booting to desktop instead of metro as well, but seeing as a few people in here insist on replying with utter rubbish I'll not link to where as it'll then be limited to those that either a) have a clue b) are actual able to do a tiny bit of research on the subject matter.

As for asking me if I've read any of the Microsoft guidelines for releasing Metro apps - yes I have, and they're a very good idea, and hopefully will be enforced quite hard unlike their guidelines for desktop applications - which has lead to some terrible terrible gui design over the years from moron developers.

The new way of returning search results makes perfect sense if you're a normal user, or even if you're a power user. Those that don't like it, well, you're basically stuck with it and it'll not go back to the way it was so you can finally enjoy not getting all the "uninstall" hits from the windows 7 search bar

9. GoodBytes

10. faugusztin

faugusztin I *am* the guy with two left hands

Which just proves that you are not talking about the consumer preview version, because that policy doesn't work in that version, and will not work in final version of Windows 8 either :
    http://www.grouppolicy.biz/2012/03/the-must-have-windows-8-start-menu-group-policy-setting/

11. theshadow2001

I've no intention of contacting people for features as frankly I don't really care about them. But you asked for limitations and I presented a few.

Ok so which is it?

Really what i've been getting at with my last few posts is metro isn't some sort of massive core change to windows that people make it out to be. Metro is just a tacked on interface to unify the windows "experience" across various devices and versions of itself (server, desktop, RT, phone). Its not a desktop replacement as some people are saying. Its an interface to allow you to use mobile and tablet apps on your desktop, thats about the height of it.

Apart from the fact that the start menu is replaced with the start screen. A windows 8 user can largely ignore Metro. More so if you use a program like ViStart. Everything that you did on windows 7 you can do on windows 8. Its not like Metro is here so you have to stop using firefox or chrome on the desktop and start using Metro Internet Explorer. Or the desktop version of Word is going to disappear and there will only be Metro Word.

On a PC, Metro is only ok at doing what it does (integrating tablet and mobile apps to the desktop) I think it needs more work to feel like an integrated part of an O/S rather than the tacked on extra that it is. Maybe integrating metro and the desktop well is not possible, but I would be surprised if Windows 9 didn't bring massive improvements to Metro and its integration with the desktop.

Really if you don't like Metro don't use metro apps. For me, I haven't seen a Metro app that is worth using over a desktop equivalent when on a pc. From my experiences on a smartphone, the mounds of apps that are out there really don't appeal to me, which is likely going to translate into metro apps not appealing to me either.

I think the haters are really over stating how Metro effects using windows 8 (calling it a tablet O/S)and the fan boys are overstating how well Metro has become a part of windows.

Frankly all the buzz about Metro is just leading to bandwagonism and people seem to be ignoring the quicker boot times and over all performance improvements that have been made to the O/S, which is a shame.

12. dullonien

I agree with a lot of that theshadow2001. I do think that Metro has some uses over the 'tablet and phone apps' you state, but these are quite basic applications which lead themselves well to the metro interface. I've stated them in this thread already, but the likes of e-mail, weather, news to some extent, IM, social sites such as Facebook, Twitter and Likedin all lead themselves to the simple interface metro provides, along with the push notification system which underpins it. I'm sure there's plenty more I haven't thought of, but I think it shows that it does have its uses on the desktop.

I don't think the interface lends itself well to more complex programs such as Photoshop, AutoCAD and loads of other desktop programs, but we'll have to see if it's something companies like Adobe, Autodesk etc. try to make a use of, and how they do so. The zune software is the best example of how Metro doesn't equal touch only, but MS seems to be moving away from that with Metro in Windows 8, although I personally think Windows 9 will take more design cues from zune, which imo is a great piece of software design.

13. CrapBag

CrapBag Multimodder

Just installed to have a peek at Win 8, bleh it's okay on my laptop, I don't want it anywhere near our main pc's though.

I can't get my max res on my laptop, is there anyway to correct this, I'd imagine not being that it's a beta.

14. dullonien

Graphics card drivers?

15. CrapBag

CrapBag Multimodder

It's using the basic driver and I doubt there's a proper driver from fujitsu as it's quite old.

I have done a quick google though with no luck.

16. GoodBytes

1- Look at the graphic card manufacture website for Windows 7 drivers, which you install in Windows 8. Not Fujitsu website.

2- You need to adjust the start screen. Pin programs, folders and such, and make groups.
    I made a Home group, where I have desktop, mostly used folders and would like access too (Downloads, Documents, Profile, etc..), Store, Music, Calendar (made in small), Mail and weather.

Then, I have News group, where I put news apps
    Finally, I have Productivity group where I put my programming software, Apps groups for general desktop apps, and lastly games group, where I put all my games.

3- You need to get used to it.
    Read this post, he has good points:
    http://4sysops.com/archives/windows-8-metro-disable-in-windows-server-2012/
    (you can't disable the Start Screen, nor jump at the desktop at startup)

4- Pin your programs to task bar, as it was designed to do in Windows 7.

5- Learn the new search keyboard shortcuts: Win+W: Search for settings, Win+F: Search for File, Win+Q Search for App. Typing out of the blue in the start screen, searches for Apps.

6- Use it for a month deeply. Get used to it. THAN you can judge.

17. RichCreedy

RichCreedy Hey What Who

no chipset manufacturer driver for vista/7 ? they should work

18. CrapBag

CrapBag Multimodder

Thanks for the extra info.

I don't think I'm judging anything, I'm just too used to using win 7 and I like it very much.

Four pc's plus two laptops in the house and I don't feel the need to update them.

I may do the laptop though as it's running Vista and I feel 8 would probably be more suited for it.

Edit, oh I'm just trying to install win 7 drivers but it wanted to update an app or something so I'm letting it do that first.

19. CrapBag

CrapBag Multimodder

Installed win 7 gpu drivers and I seem to have broken windows :(

The whole screen is scrolling downwards repeatedly like a defective old telly.

20. RichCreedy

RichCreedy Hey What Who

refresh rate may be wrong