1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Linux Minecraft; Official Bit-tech server

Discussion in 'Gaming' started by Stickeh, 6 Oct 2010.

1. Byron C

Byron C Multimodder

Tekkit with Duncan. I watched that, quite a good series. The first three episodes are a bit mind = blown, but it's quite good (even if the thing with Sjin does get a bit silly).

2. lp rob1

lp rob1 Modder

You... you have a Tekkit server?

3. Byron C

Byron C Multimodder

So do I ;)

4. mat0tam

mat0tam Mr I Dont Know What I Want

I think there would be maybe 5/6 people interested currently?

Is there an old central vanilla server thats free for Bit-tech members to use?

Ive played about 4/5 tekkit worlds so far and fully recommend Duncans videos and the latest tekkit build.

Last edited: 7 Jul 2012
  5. lp rob1

lp rob1 Modder

If Tekkit is progressing so quickly here, maybe I should get started on my networking API! Copying it into the server will be horrendously longwinded though, unless I can get an admin to copy the files directly into the server...

6. Votick

Votick My CPU's hot but my core runs cold.

What are these files?

7. Panomama

Panomama I once signed up on uniform dating

If someone creates the server ill give FTP for them to upload it, like what I did with hunger games.

8. mat0tam

The previous 3 posts excite me as this all looks promising.

Unfortunately
    My server knowledge = 0
    My Tekkit Knowledge = Much better

So in this set up stage I will be useless :)

9. Byron C

Byron C Multimodder

Well... thanks to Votick I now have an alternative for hosting my website... Therefore I can quite happily dedicate my proper Minecraft server (hosted with get-sourced) to Tekkit.

I'll need a day or two to migrate everything over however.

Of course, if someone else wants to host, that's fine by me.

Networking API? Is this an in-game thing...?

10. lp rob1

lp rob1 Modder

Since the in-game ComputerCraft editor is... shall we say lacking in many features, I prefer to code in Notepad++ or gEdit. The files that I create need to go into the ComputerCraft folder so that they can be used in-game. More specifically, the files need to go in the world/computer/[computer_id] folder. To make it more of a challenge, I would then have to manually distribute the copies of this networking API to other computers on disks...

ComputerCraft lets you make terminals, but their 'rednet' API is very low level (much like talking directly to networking hardware). My proposed networking API is based on rednet, but at a much higher level (like a sockets API). The API automatically handles the packet routing between computers, based on a router/client/server model. An application can easily request or serve resources, without having to know the exact path or anything else.

Specification for the API is pretty much complete (after about a week of pondering), now I just need to implement it.

11. Byron C

Byron C Multimodder

Alright. Tekkit is officially mental...

12. mat0tam

If people want to experience tekkit prior to a open server being created see below.

Useful link Technic Launcher, Launcher is used to play the latest Tekkit Builds. Including single player

13. lp rob1

lp rob1 Modder

Fixed that for ya :thumb:

14. Bloody_Pete

Bloody_Pete Technophile

The issue with this is ComputerCraft is usually disabled as it brings a server to its knees in no time...

And whoever sets it up, add the ChopTree Bikkit pluggin, as it makes life SO much easier...

On my server I'm basically done, got a machine that produces a diamond block every few seconds constantly, so I can make anything. Got full gem armour... Started making a house out of Red Matter blocks just to use up the Diamond...

15. lp rob1

lp rob1 Modder

Aww, killjoy. I can still haz ComputerCraft on this server though, right?

16. Byron C

Byron C Multimodder

I'm in the process of migrating all my servers so that I can set up a Tekkit server. Hopefully I'll have something up later this afternoon/early evening. I'll PM those that are interested for their MC usernames, as I'll probably keep the server whitelisted for now.

I'll enable it and see how we get on. If you want to upload this API stuff, pop it on dropbox or similar and I'll add it.

17. mat0tam

I Could suggest we remove Equivelant Exchange mod? My most recent world doesnt have it and it makes the game much more reasonable.

(In a past world I had 12 quarries feeding a condenser with about 12 energy collectors set up adjacently and the joy of getting items soon disappeared.)

18. Bloody_Pete

Bloody_Pete Technophile

IC2 does it to though... I just chose to go with EE this time

19. Byron C

Byron C Multimodder

My server host needs a support ticket raised for tekkit; apparently they have to set it up manually...

Once this is complete, all I need to do is: set up HawkEye, ChopTree & dynmap, and enable ComputerCraft.

If this request is completed today, I'll do my best to get everything online today.

Should I start a new thread for tekkit-related discussion?

20. Bloody_Pete

Bloody_Pete Technophile

Oh, and disable nukes...