1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Windows Windows 8 Marmite thread... Because you either love it or hate it

Discussion in 'Software' started by TheStockBroker, 28 Feb 2012.

?

Windows 8: what is your opinion?

1. Love it: I'm already using it or planning to do so.

59 vote(s)
    41.0%
  2. Hate it: this evil spawn of Satan will never defile the sanctity of my computer.

37 vote(s)
    25.7%
  3. It's OK with a Start Menu replacement and while bypassing Metro.

48 vote(s)
    33.3%
  1. Invictus.

Invictus. Minimodder

Thanks, they are all for use in my degree, really support I need for definite would be OpNet, TSK & Autopsy and Oxygen as I can use FTK in Uni.

Thanks again for the responses will start downloading later and give it a go for a bit, if it all fails got 2 16 GB pendrives to back the essentials up with and can hope for the best it all goes well, seeming when going from vista > 7 some programs worked despite installing "vista" versions of them.

2. Jehla

Jehla Minimodder

Balls! I updated chrome, and now the short cut launches the metro version. Let this be a cautionary tale :p

3. faugusztin

faugusztin I *am* the guy with two left hands

It's not that simple. If desktop version runs, the shortcut will run the desktop version. If desktop version doesn't run, it will run the metro version.

To remove Chrome Metro, use http://laymain.com/files/UnMetroGoogleChrome.reg

Code:
    Windows Registry Editor Version 5.00

[HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\ChromeHTML\shell\open\command]
    "DelegateExecute"=-

[HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\Chrome\.exe\shell\open\command]
    "DelegateExecute"=-

[HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\Chrome\.exe\shell\opennewwindow\command]
    "DelegateExecute"=-

[HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\Chrome\.exe\shell\run\command]
    "DelegateExecute"=-

Jehla likes this.
  4. RichCreedy

RichCreedy Hey What Who

found this not sure if you have seen it or not

5. oasked

oasked Stuck in (better) mud

Does anyone know how large the ISO file is for the upgrade version? I want to know if it'll fit on a normal DVD-R once I download it from Microsoft's website.

Thanks!

6. Andre_B

Andre_B Minimodder

Hi

2,830,997,504 bytes

That is for the 64 Bit version.

7. impar

impar Minimodder

Greetings!

8. RichCreedy

RichCreedy Hey What Who

surfcast are patent trolls, "we'll do these patents, but not do anything with them, then sue anyone who comes up with a workable solution"

9. GoodBytes

GoodBytes How many wifi's does it have?

And the funny part, is that they didn't say a single word on Windows Phone 7. No, it's only now.

10. dullonien

dullonien Master of the unfinished.

Once again I cannot get my head around why such a broad patent was granted. Seriously, it is about time the US patent system in particular is completely overhauled using a bit of common sense. Hopefully nothing comes of this because it is just complete b****ks.

11. GoodBytes

Here is a cool new feature in Windows 8 that I have discovered:
    Go on the desktop, click once on the background to focus it, then do Ctrl+Alt+#, where # is a number. This will change the layout of your icons that you have on the desktop, like a folder.

Ctrl+Alt+ [+][-] Will also make the icons larger or smaller in the current icon layout.

Go ahead try and see how it looks.

12. impar

impar Minimodder

Greetings!
    Been using this for some time on those 22" FullHD monitors. Everything is just too small for my liking. Glad it still works in Windows 8.

13. Uncle Psychosis

Uncle Psychosis Classically Trained

So if I'm running 32-bit Vista I won't be able to get 64-bit Windows 8 using the £25 upgrade assistant? That seems a bit pants :(

14. rollo

rollo Modder

Microsoft has broad patents itself that are still valid, Its claiming dollars from Andriod using patents, win some you lose some thats the patent war in the USA. outside of USA things are a bit different.

Input device shaped like a mice for example
    It also still has GUI patents that say you cant have a start button on your OS as they patented it.

15. GoodBytes

Wait what? Noooooooo. Dude of course you can!
    What is being said, is that if you have Windows XP 32/64-bit, or Vista 32/64, or Win7 32-bit Windows 8 Upgrade will perform a clean install. It won't transfer your programs or files for you. So once the setup is done, you'll need to move your files that was on the C:\ drive back to where they were, and re-install all your programs yourself.

If you want to install Windows 8 64-bit, you need to prepare the disk or USB key on a 64-bit version of Windows (any), so that it can write on it the 64-bit boot configuration on the disk or USB, so that the 64-bit OS setup can run. If the boot conf is in 32-bit, the CPU will go in 32-bit mode, and start rejecting 64-bit long instructions, so Win8 64-bit can't install, or do anything (I think the 32-bit version of Win8 will be installed instead).

That is why you can order the disk for Win8 Upgrade for any purchase option you pick. If that's too late, and you have no 64-bit systems in hand. Go to a friend place or work (if you can) to prepare the disk or USB drive.

16. Uncle Psychosis

I'm confused. Here's what the MS website says about upgrading:

Can I upgrade from a 32-bit version of Windows to a 64-bit version of Windows 8?
    Yes, but you can't do this using Upgrade Assistant. If your PC has a 64-bit capable processor (CPU) but is currently running a 32-bit version of Windows, you can install a 64-bit version of Windows 8, but you'll need to buy Windows 8 as a DVD.

I find it hard to believe I need a 64 bit OS to install a 64 bit OS. Surely the .ISO on its own should be capable of doing what it needs to?

17. faugusztin

faugusztin I *am* the guy with two left hands

The upgrade assistant downloads only the 32-bit ISO if you are running it on 32-bit OS. It downloads only 64-bit ISO if you are running it on 64-bit OS. So you either need the retail upgrade package which has the discs, or you need to find a 64-bit OS, run the upgrade assistant there and create the 64-bit ISO.

It is simply about getting the 64-bit ISO from somewhere, because the upgrade assistant will give you only 32-bit ISO on a 32-bit OS.

18. Uncle Psychosis

Thanks for a reply I can understand :D

Thats a bit annoying. I don't have easy access to a 64-bit machine so I think I'll hold off for now.

Cheers

19. GoodBytes

Exactly,

No it won't. Assuming the burning software doesn't check the content and burn what it sees on the ISO file, it will come to a point where it needs to write the boot sector, so that you can boot from the disk. And it will go and say.. "well.. I can't.. I need to write a 64-bit list of instructions, but I can only write 32-bit long ones. I can't split the 64-bit instruction in 2 either 32-bit +32-bit due to limitations imposed. Oh well I am going to skip that".

And then when you'll install Windows 8 from booting the disk or USB flash drive, teh system will start searching for the boot sector to read it and goes "Hey it's bit 32-bit! CPU go into lock mode in 32-bit mode! Ok now lets read it... ok... now lets execute what it wants.. this file ok...", and the CPU will go "ERROR! Instruction too long, because I am in 32-bit mode."

Now how about running the setup in Windows, and skip the boot all together? Right? That works no? Well no either. As you'll run setup.exe, and Windows (well your CPU will go, and return the error to Windows, which Windows will tell you:) "In valid Win32 application". The same way you can't run 64-bit programs on a 32-bit OS, no mater the 32-bit OS you have.

20. GoodBytes

Don't you have Vista 64-bit? If do, then just install that, install SP2 right after, forget your drivers for now. Then do the Win8 disk/USB drive and install Wn8. Don't you have friends you can go over for a few minutes either?