1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Other Do any of you leave your computer on 24/7

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by j4mi3, 29 Nov 2012.

1. klausfinkel

klausfinkel What's a Dremel?

It's an old HP Compaq nc6320 but it has pleased me very well. I probably need to change to a better laptop soon, as the screen gets black from time to time.

2. GoodBytes

GoodBytes How many wifi's does it have?

It's business class machine, that is why it last 4 years. Your problem sounds to me, that your LCD screen in your laptop uses CCFLs back light, so its transformer circuit that is about to die (common on consumer grade laptops, as they put the cheapest components inside to reduce price, but in your case, probably just manufacture error). You can find them on eBay. Just make sure you have the right model, of course.

3. GeorgeStorm

GeorgeStorm Aggressive PC Builder

I only leave mine on if it's doing something (downloading/uploading a lot of the time)

Used to fold etc so left it on for that (if I was doing something else as well).

Never leave it on if it's going to be sitting there doing nothing though, I'll turn it off/put it to sleep.
    It's ready to use by the time I've turned the monitors/speakers on etc so no delay.

4. law99

law99 Custom User Title

I'm going to present a well poised and balanced argument here that you are going to find hard to rebuttal.

Piss off mate.

If I want to watch the world burn I'll do it. And there is nothing short of you murdering me that'll stop me. Tell me; are you going to take one for the team?

/joke

Seriously though, I leave my monitors on most of the time. My pc does not use that much energy. Neither does any other machine in the house. I use energy efficient lightbulbs and all sorts. If I find it useful sometimes to leave a machine on as a terminal service I will.

Maybe one day I'll buy a solar panel or something... then what? I'll be gallivanting about wearing suits rigged with coloured lightbulbs plugged into the mains screaming through a public address system whenever I'm awake and not at work.

5. Margo Baggins

Margo Baggins I'm good at Soldering Super Moderator

:thumb:

6. TaRkA DaHl

TaRkA DaHl Modder

Sorry for jumping in late here, but I felt I had to chip in here, I have done various checking over the years of everything in my house and only buy lower power 'stuff'.

My PC on idle draws about 40W, so what if I leave it on all the time?

My microwave just sitting there uses 15W just to display the clock, bet you leave that on all the time. My V+Box draws 35W and my Tivo box draws 30W, but I bet you leave them on. My speakers for my tele draw 15W if I don't turn them off at the wall. House alarm system is 20W. Router+switch draw 15W between them.

Then start thinking about TV's, my LED tele draws 50W if I set the power settings correctly, my old LCD drew 120W, my mates plasma draws 450W. So for every hour he has his tele on, I can leave my PC for over 11 and we use the same amount.

There are many other devices far worse than a PC to leave on all the time.

7. GoodBytes

Yup, so no reason to make it worse. :)

8. siliconfanatic

siliconfanatic Johny-come-Lately

agian, point? i COULD care less. bu i dont, and im not against the efforts to limit it either, just as long as you dont force me to change MY lifestyle. like once i got the funds ima buy an srt viper, great performance horrible fuel economy.

9. GoodBytes

10. Nexxo

Nexxo * Prefab Sprout – The King of Rock 'n' Roll

Perhaps we should rename this thread: "Who is the alpha asshole?" :p

11. theshadow2001

theshadow2001 [DELETE] means [DELETE]

:D

Thats still means that you do care at least a little bit about the environment.

12. siliconfanatic

the viper? maybe you should lay off on all those no-named pills when looking at cars:eyebrow:. that's NOT Tylenol:worried:. the viper... oh good lord i better stop or start a new thread. i could rant for hours how beutiful the new srt viper is.:D:clap::rock:

13. siliconfanatic

make it so! :hehe:

14. .//TuNdRa

.//TuNdRa Resident Bulldozer Guru

Depends on the criteria? Most Sarcastic person? I'd be eligible, most dickish person? Who knows. Biggest Cock? Still not sure.

(Seriously; I don't hold an opinion on those last two. The community here is more than gracious enough that if there are any such incidents; I don't recall them)

As for the power complaint; I say I'm doing my part by using headphones instead of my Speakers. No power draw for the amplifier in the Gigaworks that way.

15. BrAdAsS

BrAdAsS What's a Dremel?

Wrong and wrong.
    "There is no wait time under Win7".....you cannot be serious. Being that far off that mark you should research more before typing.

16. GoodBytes

Dude I have been using Windows 7 before you even touched it. The forum has proof of that.

It's one of the main features of Windows 7 also. There was even TV ads about it.
    Your wireless card is not Windows 7 ready, or you have driver problem.

Last edited: 4 Dec 2012
  17. BrAdAsS

BrAdAsS What's a Dremel?

Despite not having any problems with my pc or wireless, according to you, I've gone from Windows XP and or my system is having problems cos Win7 has no wait time to my wireless card is not win7 ready to a driver problem.
    I find this amazingly foolish to the point you're a silly boy. I could point out why but I'm done here and only think it will make you a better silly boy.

Let's not descend into name calling, OK? --Nexxo

Last edited by a moderator: 4 Dec 2012
  18. GoodBytes

Ok, well enjoy your problem.

19. mm vr

mm vr The cheesecake is a lie

Oh dear, meme overload... :D

Are you familiar with this?

[​IMG]

10% of my TV's power consumption is almost 150% of the power consumption of a PC I have. 10% of my heat pump's power consumption is 100% of my TV's power consumption. Lowering the power consumption of my house heating system by 1% saves more power than that computer consumes. Should I go on to my 125,000W car?

We are also not considering the fact that my electricity is produced at a nuclear power plant. This means that my electricity doesn't contribute to global warming at all.

20. Jaybles

Jaybles Minimodder

Turned off at night. Or when I'm at work/away. On from when I'm back from work til I go to bed normally.

Just to save power. Environment and all.