1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Graphics New GPU. PC will not boot

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by Kronos, 8 Jan 2013.

1. Kronos

Kronos Multimodder

An attempt to install 2GB AMD Radeon 7870 graphics card in a system, but it would not boot, with no display of anything on the monitor (I used the HDMI output).

Same thing when tried on another PC.

Power Supply 800W – connected to card with 2 dedicated 6-pin power connectors.

RMA'ed back too Aria but they say card is fine.

Might add this is not my problem,asking on behalf of another.

Any thoughts?

2. GeorgeK

GeorgeK Swinging the banhammer Super Moderator

Could it be a duff PCIe lane? Does the system boot with another GPU installed or only from the onboard graphics? (if it has it) It could be the power supply perhaps - do the fans spin on the card when you press on? Are there any other outputs you could try? DVI/VGA etc

Sorry for all the questions but it could be a lot of things!

3. GaryP

GaryP RIP Tel

I am not keen on Aria (in fact I think they suck) but putting my own personal opinions aside, if it doesn't work on either machine, that indicates its the card surely.

I had a problem with a mobo they insisted wasn't faulty. Only a threat from trading standards got me the replacement after 3 lots of postage which they refused to pay initially.

4. Kronos

Kronos Multimodder

GeargeK The same result occurred when he tried the card in another PC which I did mention in my original thread.

But PSU is 800W the fans spin. I might suggest trying another output which if he used the same cable on the other PC could suggest a duff cable. And when he puts in his original card all is well.

5. Kronos

Kronos Multimodder

My thoughts exactly when it did not work in another PC. Hmmm.

6. GoodBytes

GoodBytes How many wifi's does it have?

Ok as the basics has been suggested, let's go to more advance level:

Is your motherboard right now uses a BIOS, or UEFI?

- If it uses a BIOS, and your graphic card is GOP ready, it is will not work, it will only work on UEFI motherboards. GOP (Graphics Output Protocol) is really new stuff, I doubt that is the problem, but you never know. I would expect to have a message on the box or inside about it. If not, than I highly doubt they make it GOP ready.

- Ok now more probable, if your motherboard support UEFI, put your old GPU or use the Intel one if you have it, and check inside for an option called: CSM (Compatibility Support Module) is turned on. Once set, now try your graphic card.

- Is your graphic card overclocked? Some manufacture greatly overclocked the GPU to a point that the voltage is really high and causes some motherboard over-voltage protection system (if any) to kick in, and you get what you are experience.

That is all that comes to mind

7. sniperdude

sniperdude Minimodder

I actually I wouldn't trust Arias RMA service diagnosis

Aria sucks as said, it really wouldn't surprise me if the card was faulty.

8. mrbungle

mrbungle Undercooked chicken giver

Try a bog std dvi/vga connection if possible. Thats likely what aria will have used.

9. Kronos

Kronos Multimodder

Interesting but what are the chances of two PC's behaving in the same way.

Unfortunately he has RMA'ed it and Aria still have it. I have suggested getting his money back as he is covered under the DSR's.

10. daveh84

daveh84 What's a Dremel?

It does seem strange that the card shows the same issue in two different systems, but I'm sure an obvious issue like this would show itself straight away for Aria. As stupid and obvious as it sounds, ensure the power cables are tightly connected to the card. As others have asked, do the fans spin up on the card or is there zero life from it?

11. GeorgeK

That would seem the best bet - re-buy from another source. Have you / he tried another card in his system?

12. Kronos

Kronos Multimodder

With his original card a 460 there is not a problem.

Yes.

13. GeorgeK

Isn't the mobo then or a completely knackered card. I'd say either get a refund through Distance Selling Regulations or try another output from the card - could be the HDMI port on the card is the problem (or on the monitor or the cable itself)

14. damien c

damien c Mad FPS Gamer

I stopped using Aria after a manager from Overclockers started working there and suddenly everything that was faulty started, leaving the store as no fault found.

A clan member of mine had a similar issue, when he built a new pc using a Intel Core I7 2600K, Asrock board and 2x 5770's. His PC would not give a display on the monitor at all from the cards but would give a display from the onboard graphics, in the end he had to turn of the onboard and change a few settings in the bios to allow it to post, and boot using the 5770 in slot 1.

15. Kronos

Kronos Multimodder

Thanks will pass it on.

16. Nealieboyee

Nealieboyee Packaging Master!

If it boots with a 460 but not with the new card, then its got to be the gpu, surely?

17. jinq-sea

jinq-sea 'write that down in your copy book' Super Moderator

My thoughts exactly!

18. Kronos

Kronos Multimodder

Aria seem to dispute that even though the card has been tried in two PC's.

19. Nealieboyee

Nealieboyee Packaging Master!

Well tell Aria to go f**k themselves and give you a new card or you'll go to trading standards.

20. jinq-sea

jinq-sea 'write that down in your copy book' Super Moderator

I'd be minded to get all lawyer on Aria - the card sounds almost certainly faulty. Mention sale of goods act and trading standards and they'll hopefully back down.