1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Steam DotA 2

Discussion in 'Gaming' started by Loafers, 15 Aug 2011.

1. hamza_tm

hamza_tm Modder

its got nothing to do with dota apart from the fact that dota encourages teamwork with absolute strangers.

its more the fact that you're meeting immature brainless gamers. you get them everywhere

2. wiggles

wiggles Minimodder

Well that's true but it doesn't mean it is best to do nothing about it.

3. hamza_tm

hamza_tm Modder

of course, no one denies that.

4. Sloth

Sloth #yolo #swag

The more I play other games lately the more it becomes apparent that terrible sportsmanship really isn't just a Dota thing. It's just a higher competition environment than many other games.

Had a guy last night try to argue that everyone else on the team was terrible and caused us to lose. Even after the enemy team agreed he was by far the worst and fed in his lane. When even the enemies are saying your team mates did well and you did poorly it might be time to just give up. :lol:

Personally did quite well in the last few games, had a roll-face Nyx game (that was still a loss), a decent Visage game (still a loss), good Disruptor game that story was from (still a loss) and finally won a very close and exciting Clockwork game.

5. bsp

bsp Minimodder

I don't play often, but usually pre-mute. I usually play with a friend anyway. Never critisize.
    Good for a discrete block of time. A game won't last beyond an hour.

6. will_123

will_123 Small childs brain in a big body

Linux and Mac versions are now out for the test client. When your playing the test client does that mean you are not playing with people on the main client?

Thinking about installing steam on my Linux machine but not if i can play with anyone just yet.

7. hamza_tm

hamza_tm Modder

test client is separate

8. Bogomip

Bogomip ... Yo Momma

I have found the dota community to be much better since valve started their communications thing - lots of players getting punished :)

9. bsp

bsp Minimodder

communications thing?

10. wiggles

wiggles Minimodder

The reporting system I think.

I think the community is OK at the lower levels generally most people are just trying to learn the game.

11. wiggles

wiggles Minimodder

In other news the new char Abaddon seem quite strange. Tried to gank him a couple of times and he just healed himself up big. Not sure if this will get hit by the nerf bat or not.

What language is DOTA2 written in? How do they get it to run on Linux and Mac?

12. mansueto

mansueto Too broke to mod

Abaddon seems to be a support tank, though some people have tried building him as a tanky dps with some success. His ult converts incoming damage into hp for a short period of time (at level 3 its 5 seconds, with aghanims it goes up to 7 I believe) and it automatically goes off when he's low if it's off cd. He has a shield that absorbs damage and explodes, and than he has a death coil type thing which can either heal or do damage depending who its cast on. His last thing increases his attack damage and move speed, and I think its an aura. So far I've seen him in every game but he hasn't really stolen the show or anything. I think his ult is pretty good but because he doesn't do any outrageous damage its not a big deal, his shield is pretty useful, especially if you throw it on a squishy carry.

Lately, the tree guy has been rediculously annoying. His living roots or w/e his heal / shield is, feels massively overpowered. It blocks 5 attacks and gives some good regen. Granted, that's pretty much the only thing he has going for him, besides his rediculous base damage. In a lane against anyone squishy you can just bully them early on because of how much damage those auto-attacks do. He can also heal towers with them, making him a difficult opponent to play against. A good one with good map awareness can save team mates lives over and over with that stupid shield / regen.

13. hamza_tm

hamza_tm Modder

Read his skill descriptions, you'll understand.

Source Engine, it's already been ported with other games.

His ultimate is one of the best in the game.

14. wiggles

wiggles Minimodder

Yip, Abaddon probably isn't as tough as I thought.

I see the Tree dude get banned in top tier games so its obvious he is good. He is also third top this month on Dotabuff. I remember not too long ago he was considered one of the worst heroes in the game.

15. Sloth

Sloth #yolo #swag

I'm pretty excited to have Abbadon added to the game. Accursed was one of my top played heroes in Heroes of Newerth and is almost identical.

His role reminds me of Omniknight. Survivable, supportive, but potentially very strong on his own. His lane presence is very high and his ability to chase is insane. With the correct items he can also be quite the offensive powerhouse. Being melee, a bully in lane, and potentially quite damaging I most enjoy him in the short lane with another harrassy ranged hero who won't mind you snagging last hits. You can really shut down the carry you're likely laning against and maybe get some kills.

16. nukeman8

nukeman8 What's a Dremel?

getting pretty fed up of grouping up with randoms, do any of you play regular? Im on most nights for a few hours, normally playing either a support or ganking role.

17. kingred

kingred Surfacing sucks!

18. Sloth

Sloth #yolo #swag

Gotta give that Meepo kudos for bravery, at least. It takes a certain something to look at that line-up of four strong mid heroes and decide that's the lane you want to be in. Then again, maybe that "something" is stupidity. :lol:

19. hamza_tm

hamza_tm Modder

Meepo could have done fine against any of those mids. He can't win the lane against veno but he can not die and get levels. Freefarm veno is nothing scary provided the rest of the team has map awareness and all meepo needs is levels as he can catch up farm in an instant when he gets clones in the jungle.

Can easily win the lane against bara or NS and do OK against Sniper.

20. Sloth

Sloth #yolo #swag

That assumes one very important factor: knowing how to play Meepo. Given the outcome it seems pretty safe to say he didn't have a great grasp on what he was doing, which makes the choice to go mid lane a bold choice. Could have played safer and ran around nut-to-butt with Omniknight in a side lane and possibly not done so poorly. You have to get stomped on pretty hard to be level 6 at the end of a game...