1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Steam DotA 2

Discussion in 'Gaming' started by Loafers, 15 Aug 2011.

1. wiggles

wiggles Member

Broodmother is such a poorly designed hero its an embarrassment to valve.

2. kingred

kingred Surfacing sucks!

Good thing its an icefrog hero.

Also your team must be aware of her limitations and advantages, she is a massively strong pusher.

3. mansueto

mansueto Too broke to mod

Even if you shut her down and use sentries, if you win the lane and leave her alone, she'll still manage to get okay farm and with enough spiders she can be stupidly annoying with split pushes.

She's a decent hero, just easily countered by dust / sentries. Leave her alone though, and she'll surely piss you off.

4. DLDeadbolt

DLDeadbolt Space Cadet

With the International having just started, my sleeping patern (what little there is) is already going for a :nono:

Good to see NAR are leading Day 1 of the Americas Qualifier, gonna support Sneyking and the rest throughout the tourney.

5. mansueto

I've watched I think 8 of yesterdays qualifiers, and I've bought my compendium! I'd like to see NAR, SNA and Liquid move on, as they seem to be the more skilled teams in their bracket. After the NA bracket, I don't know any of the 2nd tier teams, so will be interesting to watch.

Also, for anyone who want's to keep up but can't watch the streams, this International wiki has the schedule, and you can go into a more detailed view that shows the score for each game, heroes, levels, items, k/d/a, LH, Denies, XPM and GPM. Just scroll down to the results, and at the bottom of the list of teams it should have Day 1 and Day 2 selectable.

6. wiggles

wiggles Member

Is there anywhere I can view a schedule of the games to be played in the qualifiers?

7. wiggles

wiggles Member

Found it

8. VipersGratitude

VipersGratitude Well-Known Member

It's good to be the king... :D

[​IMG]

9. mansueto

I've been doing a lot of solo Q since I'm fed up playing with my friend who is in a higher skill bracket. I notice I can impact the game a lot more, even as a support (I went 12/3/12 as a witch doctor last night, according to dotabuff it was a "high skill" game too).

I find it easier for me to do well by solo Q'ing, but I also find it frustrating because there is a lack of communication. Not much I can do there though since the only other option is playing with friends who are either lower or higher skill-wise, making games much more difficult and stressful. Positive note, I think I'm 2 games away from being 50% winrate again, which is great.

Also, the ti4 qualifier thing starts on Tuesday with the runners up to the original qualifiers. Lots of dota to watch!

Edit: Just looked at the team comps, what is it with teams picking 4-5 carries. Last night we had a riki and a LC sharing a lane fighting each other for farm. I don't understand!

10. Sarakon

Sarakon The German

Everyone's got to carry :D well at least on the SA server. If I play with just 1 of my friends we often end up having to pick supports as everyone just jumps onto carries.

Here is a support impact in a different kind of way, check at dat HH. I was saving everyone at all times, in the most crucial situations, was actually really fun.
    [​IMG]

I could solo the Ember, which was rather entertaining xD

Our group also has about 3 higher skill bracket players, which makes some matches rather difficult, with everyone raging at everyone else and other games that are really rewarding when we actually play as a team. The problem is though, that when it's just 2 or 3 of us normal skill bracket guys playing together, we feel that the rest of the team mates we get put into a match with just suck, as we are used to the way higher skilled players play and then expect way too much of them.

11. mansueto

Just had a poor game that could have been won but team failed. After careful observation / rage, it seems that I get matched with more competent players in the evening. Most of my losses do come during the morning / afternoon. Might have to find a new game to occupy my afternoons.

I'm working on the favourite hero challenge, and I'm at 7 out of 10 wins using Nyx, he's pretty fun, but obviously, I've had the unfortunate luck of most people tell me nyx is support. No, he needs to get a fast dagon and blow squishies up to snowball and help other lanes. People fail to realize that.

As for the 10 hero challenge, all I have left is lone druid, tried to win with him 4-5 games, no such luck though. Most of the time my team picked stupid picks, forcing me to jungle, which is whatever. Manage to get an 18-19 minute radiance, but at that point, every lane has lost and I can't do much. I've kinda given up with that, I didn't really enjoy playing him.

12. VipersGratitude

VipersGratitude Well-Known Member

I was proud of the above match because I had to fight my own team almost as much as our opponents.

In the beginning Jakiro joined me in mid because he "needed gold", seemingly oblivious to the fact that he was taking gold away from me (and because I was Bloodseeker, health too).

During the mid-game they fed, as you can see from the K/D/A's.

During the late game Earthshaker decided to stick by my side at all times so he wouldn't get killed, which I wouldn't have minded except he constantly blocked my path to kills with his Fissure power. :duh:

It was the first game I've had where I truly felt like a carry.

13. mansueto

I can understand the frustration of fighting with your team, so to speak. There are a lot of games where if you don't play the way your team mates want you to, they rage. Team complained we needed wards, I had been buying them all game, asked other support to buy them (he was in a premade with 2 others) and he said he needed items. I buy the wards, whatever, go to place em, die. They raged and badmouthed. I've been using the mute feature more and more, and just trying not to feed the trolls.

The other thing that I've noticed is when teams spam /all and tell you to "report XYX" for "feeding". People fail to realize there is a difference from playing poorly and poor decision making versus intentionally feeding. The reason dota doesn't have a surrender feature (other MOBA's do) is because comebacks are possible. A lot of teams can lose steam trying to force high ground and can give a team a lot of space to come back. I dislike people who just give up without even trying to co-ordinate or work together.

Another thing that bothers me are people who expect mid to constantly gank. The supports are the ones that are supposed to be making space for the carries and people to farm, yet everyone wants to win their lane and demand ganks. On the other hand, in the mid game, there are some carries that prefer to afk farm while the other 4 team members go try and fight / defend / take towers, and it can be very frustrating. Granted, people like AM need items, other carries are more beneficial pushing and fighting.

14. wiggles

wiggles Member

Comebacks are possible but I still think they are too infrequent. If Valve made them easier to come by maybe the game would last even longer or people would change how they play to counter, it is a difficult balance.

Anyone have any idea who is going to win the International? I have watched a lot of top tier games recently and I think any one of ten teams could win it. I wonder how many teams have been keeping strategies held for this tournament alone. I wonder how the meta will develop as the tournament goes on.

15. mansueto

IG was looking phenominal at the ESLone tournament in Germany I believe, defeating EG 2-1 in a best of 3. The final game was 22-0 for IG. I'm a big EG fan, and it seemed like IG just kinda pooped on them, though I'm hoping EG come back at TI and perform even better. Mason has been pretty solid, BUT he isn't the most versatile player, it's common to see him doom, mirana, storm spirit or weaver. I haven't seen much else from him, but his playstyle does fit very well with EG's, where they rely on their supports to get a lot done on the map, while he farms.

Na'Vi has been playing somewhat poorly, but like every year prior to TI, they're a tournament team, and I expect them to do decently when the money is on the line. I've never been an alliance fan, but they've been playing well themselves also. DK are always a pretty solid contender also. It's a tough call for who's going to take it. I don't watch enough of the Chinese dota to know much of their play style.

Fnatic and Cloud9 have both played meepo a couple times in previous tournaments, and a lot of the usual picks are still very popular, such as Lycan, batrider, mirana, etc. It's nice seeing the meta develop as teams learn to adopt / integrate new champions. Another very popular pick lately has been tinker, if he gets ahead he can just create so much space for his team and pressure for the others. Another thing that I've seen change is a lot of people moving away from picking the likes of Naga, or Alchemist. Naga was huge in the previous patch and she kinda just slowly disappeared. As for alch, they made some changes and shortly after last years TI he become much less popular. Part of the reason was the big nerf on his night vision range I believe.

In-game I finally hit 50% win-loss, and according to dota-buff, including my 1% of abandons, I'm 2 games short of 50% (though I'm over 50% if you don't include those abandons).

16. DLDeadbolt

DLDeadbolt Space Cadet

Anyone going to the International?

17. wiggles

wiggles Member

No, just watching on line, though it was laggy for me tonight. Other people seem to be watching OK.

18. mansueto

I've been watching the games via the client AND multi-twitch for more chances for item drops.

Here's a link to the multi-twitch which has all 4 channels going for all the games. Alternatively, if you want to watch games spoiler free, the dota 2 international site has an option to "show standings" and "reveal winners" or you can actually watch a VOD of the games that have been played. Happy viewing!

Edit: I've gotten 4 packs of player cards for spectating games so far