1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

News Apple iPad Air and new Retina iPad mini unveiled

Discussion in 'Article Discussion' started by Meanmotion, 22 Oct 2013.

1. Gareth Halfacree

Gareth Halfacree WIIGII! Lover of bit-tech Administrator Super Moderator Moderator

I wasn't referring to the success, but the "revolutionary ideas." As we've established, Apple doesn't invent - it 'innovates.' I'm not here trying to argue that the iPhone was unsuccessful - because it clearly wasn't - but rather that not a single individual technology inside that phone originated at Apple, a fact I think we have now covered rather well.

Apple excels at taking others' ideas, combining them into a single product with shiny design, and marketing the holy zombie Jeebus out of it. Sometimes this results in a hit (hello, iPhone) and sometimes a miss (goodbye, Newton and Pippin.) You jokingly suggest I believed that Apple's competitors didn't beat it to the punch (although, as the LG Prada proves, they actually did) because of some moral objection to success: I jokingly suggest in response that, had LG enjoyed a massive fan-base of Kool-Aid drinkers who would buy a turd providing it was encased in unibody aluminium and graced with the logo of their saviour, perhaps people would be desperately searching for stock of the LG Prada 5S right now. (Obviously untrue, but then if we're being ridiculous here...)

Incidentally, can we digress for a moment and recall the feature list of the original iPhone? I remember a friend getting one, and discovering that basic features - the ability to change ringtones or message tones, the ability to send or receive Vcards, cut and damn paste - were missing. Sure, they've been added since, but the original iPhone was hardly a perfect device.

2. rollo

rollo Modder

Iphone 3G was what began the iphone craze that with the App Store. Most phone companies give free upgrades too it as well.( in the uk at least O2 the only provider on contract give away the iphone 3G for free to orginal iphone users)

Apple uses the financial muscle Its built up to buy out companies that have ideas. Then it creates them into products people want to buy. Apple could buy out most of the major phone companies for pocket change and still have 100 bil spare.

Apple does 3 things better than anyone else, hype, marketing, supply chain. Those 3 things have got it where it is today. Apples shares are up close to $20 since the iPad air announcement. Hype and marketing has them so much higher. Twitter / rss is going nuts about this iPad.

Till someone else comes along who can do what they do well they will make there huge profits and continue to dominate the sector with all 15% market share in phones at least. Iphone is there most profitable product range by some distance even out does the iPad which despite its success has never seen iphone like sales.

3. Gareth Halfacree

Gareth Halfacree WIIGII! Lover of bit-tech Administrator Super Moderator Moderator

Dominate? With 15%? Using IDC's 2Q13 figures, just 'cos that's what I happen to have to hand and I should really be doing real work right now (sorry boss!) rather than searching for 3Q13, Apple had a 13.1% share of the smartphone market - putting it very firmly in second place behind Samsung, which had a 30.4% share. That's more than double - the very definition of domination.

(Don't like IDC's figures? SA says 13.6% and 33.1% respectively - an even bigger lead for Samsung.)

Last edited: 25 Oct 2013
  4. rollo

rollo Modder

I go on profit figures, apple is at 70% Samsung 33% everyone else is in the negative at last update in about April of this year.

5. Gareth Halfacree

Link? I'd be interested to read that.

6. rollo

rollo Modder

Will post once home

7. rollo

rollo Modder

8. Gareth Halfacree

9. rollo

rollo Modder

Noticed, still crazy though. 13% market share gives 53% of its profits.

10. Gareth Halfacree

Aye - nice work if you can get it! Not surprising given its market position, though: Apple's cheapest smartphone is pretty much the same price as - or more than - most of its rivals' flagship devices, which translates to high margins. Samsung, meanwhile, has a bunch of similar high-margin products - Galaxy S4, Galaxy Note 3 - but also a shedload of low-margin budget products. The result: Samsung easily outsells Apple, but does so by taking a hit on its margin. What is possibly more surprising from those latest figures is that Samsung is selling more than twice as many handsets as Apple yet is only six percentage points away in profit share despite the fact that devices like the Galaxy Y sell for a tenth of the cost of an iPhone.

11. rollo

rollo Modder

Think they are both pretty happy with there work. Less said about the rest the better.

Tags: Add Tags