1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Motherboards Non-posting, no LED Gene-Z

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by ModSquid, 21 Jan 2014.

1. ModSquid

ModSquid Multimodder

Just a quickie chaps - I've been rebuilding my system and have been carting the motherboard (Maximus IV Gene-Z) about to test fit and now I've brought it back upstairs and hooked it up to the system again, it won't POST (typically) so I've probably knackered it but am hoping not.

It has lights on on the power and reset buttons and everything spins up - cooler, graphics etc. - but the disk is an SSD so obviously I can't tell if it's accessing or not. Regardless of that, though, the board should still POST, but there is no life in the readout code LEDs.

I've removed all screws and tried to reset the BIOS using the button on the back, but still no joy. I've tried to be careful when handling it too, but obviously something has gone awry. I'm expecting the worst, but maybe there's a fix...grateful for any useful suggestions!

Cheers,
    Ed

2. TheMadDutchDude

TheMadDutchDude The Flying Dutchman

Does it even turn on, as in do the fans spin and does it stay powered up?

3. ModSquid

ModSquid Multimodder

I've only got the cooler (Kuhler 620), graphics card and the SSD attached at the moment, but yes - the cooler fan and the GPU fan both spin up and stay on and the board stays on/powered, but no POST.

The board is definitely powered as there's a light by one of the SATA ports that stays lit continuously. I've noticed it flickering before when the SSD is sending data, but this time around it's just continuous.

I've tried pulling the GPU to see if it made a difference, but still nothing.

4. jinq-sea

jinq-sea 'write that down in your copy book' Super Moderator

Have you a different GPU to try? There's no onboard graphics output on the Gene-Z is there?

Otherwise pull the BIOS battery and leave it for a bit? CPU seated OK?

5. mrbungle

mrbungle Undercooked chicken giver

has HDMI, could try that

6. TheMadDutchDude

TheMadDutchDude The Flying Dutchman

Sounds like there's no power to the CPU to me.

ModSquid likes this.
  7. jinq-sea

jinq-sea 'write that down in your copy book' Super Moderator

Ah - my Extreme-Z has no onboard vid out IIRC haha

8. Pookie

Pookie Illegitimi non carborundum

I would reseat everything and remove the battery from the board for around 30 minutes or so to allow the CMOS to properly clear. The onboard video will only work if you are using a chip which has built in VGA.

Also as suggested check your PSU connections.

9. ModSquid

ModSquid Multimodder

Right - we got there, guys! Thanks for chipping in with the suggestions - :duh: bit embarrassing, really, but it turns out it was the constant up/down the stairs and the reconnecting cables in a rush that was to blame. That, plus the fact that I was so convinced I'd knackered it!

Constantly moving the GPU about had unseated the power cable to the CPU, so no juice going to it. Combined with the new riser I was testing out (30cm powered), I was getting a mixed bag of errors where no video would come out of the digital ports on the card, just the VGA.

Got rid of the riser and seated the CPU power lead correctly and we're back in business. Thanks to all for the advice and a humble +rep to Dutch since he nailed it early doors...

Appreciated and lesson learned :nono: