1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Displays Monitor cleaning

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by donok, 15 Mar 2014.

1. donok

donok Every Little Helps .....

Hello

So my beloved Dell U2711 needs a clean. I dust it every now and then but need to clean the screen.

what do you suggest ? a special wipe ? a special cloth ?

thanks for the help

2. Comrade Woody

Comrade Woody Obsolete

The U2711 manual states:

"To clean your antistatic screen, lightly dampen a soft, clean cloth with water. If possible, use a special screen cleaning tissue or solution suitable for the antistatic coating. Do not use benzene, thinner, ammonia, abrasive cleaners, or compressed air."

I've always found a damp cloth to be fine for cleaning monitors, I've never needed any special wipes or solutions. Just make sure it's only very slightly damp, not soaking wet, and wipe the screen gently. The cloth should be clean and soft, don't use anything abrasive.

3. GoodBytes

GoodBytes How many wifi's does it have?

Yup. That is what I use. Just a microfiber cloth with delicious tap water dampen.
    What I use do, is use the monitor at a high brightness level for a moment to warm up before cleaning. Then when it comes to cleaning, I turn off the monitor and wipe gently the screen, if there is any stuck dirt I wipe multiple time. As the monitor is warm, it drys immediately as you wipe.

Assuming you don't have hard water (high amount of minerals in the water), the screen should look like new, once your are done. No streaks, no nothing. :)

I tried a bunch of cleaning product, while they all pretty much worked great on my non glossy laptop, sadly they all left streaks that I can't polish off, on my Dell monitor. Must be the coating. Using the damp cloth with water fixes that.

If you have very dirty screen, you can add in a pot, with tap water, a bit of white vinegar (I said a bit! It should not really smell vinegar. If you room smells vinegar, you clearly put too much), and dampen your cloth with it, and use that to clean. The vinegar will help get the incrusted dirt in the plastic texture out, without damaging the panel coating, also it helps removing grease and helps repeal dust afterwards.

It's all part of the thousand and one usage of white vinegar in the house hold :)

Last edited: 15 Mar 2014
  4. donok

Great tips guys. Thanks. Will give it a try

5. GoodBytes

GoodBytes How many wifi's does it have?

Wow I screwed up the English on my post. Sorry about that, I just woke up when I typed it. Fixed now.

6. ferret141

ferret141 Minimodder

Good old tap water. I use an old glasses/lens cleaner bottle for a light mist so I don't ever over dampen the micro-fibre cloth. Just make sure the bottle and pump are emptied and dried after. Don't want no stanky water next time.

7. acemodder

acemodder Official Antec Rep

Antec sell special cleaning wipes and sprays for monitors. Check them out :)

8. Darkwisdom

Darkwisdom Level 99 Retro Nerd

Microfibre cloth lightly moistened with some water. I used to use 'muc-off' screen cleaner, but it was quite expensive at £3 or £4 a time. I found that it honestly isn't any better than using a microfibre cloth with water though. I do use the microfibre cloth I got from muc-off, it really is quite an excellent cloth.

9. law99

law99 Custom User Title

This is why I like the old smaller models. They still fit in the washing machine which also means you can tumble dry them. Bonus.

10. Flibblebot

Flibblebot Smile with me

Don't forget to iron them on a high setting afterwards to get rid of any creases in the screen :D

Seriously, though - you can't really beat water. It might take a few passes with different parts of the cloth if your screen is really dirty - but it's a damn sight cheaper than any cleaning products you can buy.

law99 likes this.
  11. jbloggs

jbloggs What's a Dremel?

I have a U2711 and I use a microcloth and Klear Screen periodically...

12. Parge

Parge the worst Super Moderator

I use petrol, followed by the standard 'controlled burn'. Really gets rid of the grime.

law99 likes this.
  13. law99

law99 Custom User Title

Ah yes. The Italian tuning.

14. donok

Thats for all the info guys. Just want to take care of the monitor the best i can