1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

A/V The Sonos Thread

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by GeorgeK, 16 Oct 2013.

1. Mister_Tad

Mister_Tad Will work for nuts Super Moderator

I'd think it would have to. The update isn't just the controller, it's all of the players as well, so unless they're leaving all of the CRx00 owners out there out in the cold (which they won't), the controllers would have to support the new SW.

2. jinq-sea

jinq-sea 'write that down in your copy book' Super Moderator

Yes me too - it's just I'm contemplating a second CR200 if I can find one at a sensible price, and would hate to buy one that will be obsolete...

I know that I always say this, but Sonos truly is the greatest thing ever - if only I could have my ZP90 with balanced outs? Yes please (oh hai Connect Pro ;))

3. Lance

Lance Ender of discussions.

Why would you not just get a refurbished iPad mini instead of the controller? They seem to be comparable prices?

4. Mister_Tad

ZP80/100s are still supported (without caveat as well, I think), so I don't think there's any danger of the hardware remotes being left out.

Something like a Galaxy Wifi, iPod touch, or a mini tablet seems a far better option though, no?

5. jinq-sea

Yes, but I love the controllers, and I like the fact that it's always there and only has one purpose. My Mum, for instance, when she comes to stay, finds it easier to use the controller over her 'phone or iPad.

I do wholeheartedly agree that an iPad Mini is a better option, but I want ALL OF THE Sonos! Plus, they don't rely on my Wi-Fi.

6. Mister_Tad

You can actually plumb an android device directly in to SonosNet.

I get you on the ease of use for visitors though. I use the "ask me nicely and I might consider it" method of accommodating visitors' requests, which I've found to work quite nicely.

7. jinq-sea

I'd forgotten that the SonosNet thing was a possibility on Android actually - that's a good option!

It's less of a request and more a way of enabling Mum to listen to the Archers without any involvement from me ;)

(My father is also very tech-savvy, but he'd just rather watch her get confused!)

8. GeorgeK

GeorgeK Swinging the banhammer Super Moderator

I signed up for the beta the other day but haven't looked into it further - I'll give it a look later on :)

9. Mister_Tad

The Archers? Surely what she really needs then is something like this

10. jinq-sea

Oh don't even get me started. I now have Sonos throughout, even in the guest room, so she'll have to make do ;)

How she does not realise that it's a total load of old rubbish is beyond me! Of course, the risk of giving guests access to Sonos means that there's a chance they'll stitch you up in the night...

11. Mister_Tad

Maybe RBAC is something for the suggestion board as well.

12. Tichinde

Tichinde Minimodder

Beta grabbed, will give it a whirl tonight :)

13. jinq-sea

That's not a bad idea actually - different zones controllable from different remotes.

14. Mister_Tad

Decided that my 14 month old daughter probably needs her own zone in her playroom - Play:3 in white on the way!

Anyone considering a bit of expansion might want to mosey on over to the Sonos store and pop in voucher code SB10CIT968 prior to next week for a fairly unprecedented 10% off.

15. GeorgeK

GeorgeK Swinging the banhammer Super Moderator

That's a good deal - I'd love a Play:1 in my bedroom but don't think I'd be able to make it work financially...

16. Lance

Codes not working for me.

17. Mister_Tad

Curious - no issues last night and is supposed to be valid for another week.

In theory it's just for Citibank customers, but a code is a code. Maybe they canned it do to rampant over-use?

18. Lance

Never mind. I was only testing it to give to the cousin anyway. He needs a Connect to hook up to his B&W system.

I love watching films at his place, its hooked up to a 50" Pioneer plasma.

19. TheStockBroker

TheStockBroker Modder

I've come to rain on the parade :rolleyes:

I too have a growing Sonos setup, and the more units I get the more frustrated I become - is anybody else finding this?

The hardware is fine, but the software has not developed the way I thought it would. It's not regressed, but it's not really improved either.

I'm both surprised and somewhat annoyed that we still lack the ability to play on connection to WiFi. I would love to enter my house and have music begin playing, without having to reach in my pocket and press play, just because my phone had now connected to the WiFi. Combined with some simple rules - "Only do this on Weekdays between 1730 and 1900" (The times when I come in from work), prevents it from being too intrusive or troublesome and as the time and day element already exist in the software, it wouldn't be hard to implement.

Further, the lack of progressive grouping is also an annoyance. I'm a man of habit. I wake up to a Sonos alarm at the same time every weekday, cool, this is on my Play 3 in my bedroom. By the same time everyday I'm downstairs and in and out of my livingroom and kitchen, making coffee and ironing a shirt. My livingroom has a connect, and my kitchen a Play 1.

With the current software, I have a choice -
    • Pause the bedroom stream and start a new stream on grouped kitchen and living room
    • Do the grouping workaround where I begin to create a new group from the bedroom, and then ultimately don't include that unit so the stream just continues from downstairs
    Neither of these are desireable as they require faffing around with a controller. Okay, a "transfer stream" button would be a start; but surely better to allow time based grouping? Then I can have a single stream follow me about the house up until I leave.

Another - On PC and Android, where it's possible to install Sonos as a system service, it would be very easy to allow direct play from applications already supported by Sonos - I.E Spotify, while cutting out the middleman. This would be awesome because the Sonos app on Android is unbelievably slow, and I'm loathe to use it.

My final gripe is that you can't clear a queue without interrupting the currently playing track!

What're your improvement suggestions/bugbears with Sonos as it stands?

Last edited: 29 Apr 2014
  20. Tichinde

Tichinde Minimodder

Allowing units to be in multiple groups would be pretty wicked thinking about it.

The beta software is really nice, much improved interface, no slowness (not that I had any before) and Google Play support is finally in!

:D