1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Windows Star Citizen

Discussion in 'Gaming' started by Parge, 10 Oct 2012.

1. PaulC2K

PaulC2K PC Master Race

ITS WORRRKING!!! :D:D

Now to get killed by flying into allied ships or Scythes. Dont think one has shot me down yet (even first attempt where my ship was a complete mess and i couldnt hit anything for love nor money till i found the target select button :D)

I went with:
    Code:
            <action name="v_yaw">
                <rebind device="joystick" input="js2_rotz" />
            </action>
            <action name="v_pitch">
                <rebind device="joystick" input="js2_y" />
            </action>
            <action name="v_roll">
                <rebind device="joystick" input="js2_x" />
            </action>

2. Cei

Cei pew pew pew

See, said it was easy ;)

I'm probably going to develop a complete XML for my Warthog, with custom controls for everything, including newtonian flight, but it'll have to wait until next week.

3. PaulC2K

PaulC2K PC Master Race

Cei - heres one for you: :D

I have 3 gaming devices, G27 and then the X55 throttle & stick.
    If i unplug them all, and switch them all on, no matter what order i do it, they come up as:

Throttle
    Wheel
    Stick

Does that imply they become JS1, JS2, JS3?
    Does the wheel count as not a joystick, therefore becoming JS1, XX1, JS2?
    Im just concerned if the wheel is plugged in/usb switch is on, it'll occupy JS2 sometimes, making SC default to the wheel for stick actions, and me swapping between custom xml profiles.

- These are the downsides to being a smarty pants ;)

4. Cei

Cei pew pew pew

You're right, JS1, JS2 and JS3. Therefore it's best to either leave everything plugged in, or have two profiles, one which is with wheel and on without. You then load the one you need.

Obviously this is a short-term problem. I'm sure CIG will fix this eventually.

5. N17 dizzi

N17 dizzi Multimodder

I did break a fly 5 with 2 months left of warranty and got a new one. I would not buy another, as they break ^^

6. IanW

IanW Grumpy Old Git

Finally had an hour or so with Vanduul Swarm.
    I really suck at flying these days! :wallbash:

On the upside, the stock HOTAS profile works with my X52 Pro

Why, oh why, oh why, does Windows do device bindings in the stupidest way imaginable? :duh:
    Any sensible OS would use the unique USB ID codes assigned to each device by the FCC.

To use Ubuntu (or any flavour of linux) for example:-
    Code:
    lsusb

Bus 002 Device 002: ID 8087:8000 Intel Corp. 
    Bus 002 Device 001: ID 1d6b:0002 Linux Foundation 2.0 root hub
    Bus 001 Device 002: ID 8087:8008 Intel Corp. 
    Bus 001 Device 001: ID 1d6b:0002 Linux Foundation 2.0 root hub
    Bus 004 Device 003: ID 0451:8041 Texas Instruments, Inc. 
    Bus 004 Device 002: ID 174c:3074 ASMedia Technology Inc. 
    Bus 004 Device 001: ID 1d6b:0003 Linux Foundation 3.0 root hub
    Bus 003 Device 005: ID 1b1c:0c04 Corsair 
    Bus 003 Device 004: ID 046d:c52b Logitech, Inc. Unifying Receiver
    Bus 003 Device 009: ID 0e8d:1956 MediaTek Inc. 
    [B]Bus 003 Device 021: ID 1532:0201 Razer USA, Ltd 
    Bus 003 Device 020: ID 06a3:0762 Saitek PLC Saitek X52 Pro Flight Control System
    Bus 003 Device 019: ID 06a3:0763 Saitek PLC Pro Flight Rudder Pedals[/B]
    Bus 003 Device 022: ID 1b1c:0a05 Corsair 
    Bus 003 Device 018: ID 05e3:0608 Genesys Logic, Inc. USB-2.0 4-Port HUB
    Bus 003 Device 008: ID 0451:8043 Texas Instruments, Inc. 
    Bus 003 Device 003: ID 174c:2074 ASMedia Technology Inc. 
    Bus 003 Device 002: ID 1b1c:0a04 Corsair 
    Bus 003 Device 007: ID 0665:5161 Cypress Semiconductor USB to Serial
    Bus 003 Device 006: ID 2516:0011  
    Bus 003 Device 001: ID 1d6b:0002 Linux Foundation 2.0 root hub

I direct your attention to the section in bold. It doesn't matter which ports I plug things into, they always have the same XXXX:YYYY device ID, where XXXX = Manufacturer & YYYY = Model.

If you look at USB devices in Windows Device Manager, the IDs are there, so why not USE them!

EDIT: Undocumented keybinding in X52 profile - pinky trigger == cycle cameras

Last edited: 5 Jun 2014
  7. PaulC2K

PaulC2K PC Master Race

I suspect that is the correct way of doing it, but because CIG havent created a proper profiler, they cant say that shoot is X52 button #22 or whatever, because not everyone uses a X52.
    Eventually, i suspect they will have multiple pre-set xml type files, and the X52 profile will say to use the ID you refer to, XXXX:YYYY button #22.

For now, they've kept it simple (for the majority i'd imagine) and just used what is probably a catch all of 'js1' and 'js2' and people are having to hack their own custom made profiles.

Considering they did diagrams for key-map explanations, you'd think it wouldnt be too hard to create a selection box for those joysticks profiles. Hopefully it'll come in the next few weeks, with simplified customation. The reality is, most people will have found their fix before they can implement a proper solution, but i guess some might not be so comfortable modifying xml files and just sit there watching their ship spin and have no clue what to do.

8. Bloody_Pete

Bloody_Pete Technophile

I'm sure I tried this and it didn't work for me :s

9. PaulC2K

PaulC2K PC Master Race

Just given the 300i a spin, my word its ruddy lethal!

Started the round, locked onto my first target, lined up the cannons, 1-shot booom :jawdrop:
    Im already getting giddy at this point, seconds later and im onto #2 line him up, 1-shot booom... oh, no BOOOM. turns out i'd blown a part off, and did a head-on collision :D

Next guy, head on collision again. :( They're kamikaze pilots!!

Got to the last geeza on wave 6, put a few decent hits into him, b*tching betty is whining about overheating, swung round nice and tight on the Scythes tail and im ready to blow him to bits when to the left in swings a Hornet RIGHT there and i thought i'd avoided him, but apparently not.
    Considering i'd been Kami'd twice in the first wave, almost completing #6, and i dont think i'd even had a hit on me until that wave either, no rockets so all laser shots... well impressed with it.

What i could do with doing is finding out what all the button names are, so i can 're-map' these bindings, cos they dont match what the game says, and the cycle hostiles selector isnt on the nearest 8-way, i have to go to the cycle targets (same thing, but also picks up the friendly hornets) is a step above, and uncomfortably so for me at least.

10. Cei

Cei pew pew pew

Go back to game controllers and properties for the stick or throttle. There's an interface where you press a button and it highlights in red with the number so you can remap properly.

11. PaulC2K

PaulC2K PC Master Race

wave 6 again :(
    Chasing down one of the non-scavenger scythe ships, and i swear there was 6 missiles on me over about 3-4min, not really sure how to deal with them short of firing off countermeasures, but i know i got hit by 2 about 5sec after i'd fired them, incl the one that killed me.

Havent seen if theres something on the radar to help, but i know when i was in the hornet i'd fire a missile and assumed they'd countered, so went on after him, and it took about 20sec before the missile killed him, so i'd assume some missiles are more direct, some are chasing and im just timing them wrong, but how im supposed to identify between them ive no idea.

1st death was straight after wave 1 was done, waiting for wave 2, pressed the 'POV switch to see if it worked, looked left - it does... but it stays there. look right, it looks right. look up, yep everything except forward... whats that big thing im heading towards? boom
    Splendid.

My 2nd death, i'd clipped the space station on dying star, had a catastrophic failure on the weapons, the left side of the ship must have been hanging off :D only had the right cannon and the weaker secondary, took ages to take 1 person out, and then i was using the afterburner to get across to the next guy and im not sure if i got hit, but next thing i know im watching my main thruster overtake me!! :D had no power, just free-floating and ended up reversing out of bounds.

Ive had some cracking little moments though, earlier in the hornet i suddenly noticed i'd turned right into the path of a big asteroid rock thingie, just about pulled it around it, into the path of another, and genuinely swerved 3 of them just like this, in about 10 seconds.

Loving the HOTAS though, honestly cant imagine playing it with a mouse etc now. Only thing the throttle is doing is staying full power, and the afterburner has been mapped over there (an eject button i suspect its designed to be) but thats it, but its fantastic. I was a little underwhelmed last night, having had to mess about and only use the stick to get it to function at all, but having used some long wood screws, and some wood, ive managed to clamp it to the mount on the Obutto, running center stick, and its so much better now its fixed down, i felt like i was wrestling it before. The downside is the screws are about 1cm too long, so they're digging into my legs as i type :D Its hard enough getting out of the chair when its mounted cm from you crotch, but when its got you pants pinned in, its a nightmare! :D

Taken last week, seat was 2" forward than should be for 'flight setting' as for racing i use a closer seat setting, but that shows the easy access of HOTAS and KB&M for FPS and planetside.
    [​IMG]

12. PaulC2K

PaulC2K PC Master Race

Yeah, hopefully i'll be able to figure it out, although ive just put the stick back in and its telling me i cant test it as it may need calibrating on the 'settings' tab, but thats greyed out.

Probably needs a reboot or something, feel like ive spent most of the last 2 days rebooting (trying to fix SC issues, and BF's fault tonight) and i normally wouldnt reboot for a week or so.

I'd imagine i'll be able to tell which button it is though, i was thinking it'd be things like radial1-4 and stuff like that, but i guess most are simply buttons and i dont think i'd be using the radials for anything currently, until we could dial in things like shield:gun power ratio, which would be handy, but would expect to be a long way off, if possible at all.

Thanks for all your help Cei, i really should have mentioned that earlier.

13. Mr Happy

Mr Happy 4 8 15 16 23 42

So i got my first real chance to try the dog fighting module, and got my ass handed to me, i was all over clueless for the best part of 10 minutes until i realized pressing a few keys made a difference, like the R key to locate the nearest enemy :duh: Then tracking them became so much easier :p

For Alpha stage i am so impressed with the quality of this, at times i just floated around looking at lovely space stuff :cooldude:

14. mrMonkeyChunks

mrMonkeyChunks EVGA Cheesecake

I haven't been able to get into the game yet. It crashes after loading from the launcher, when the star citizen logo appears. Just stops responding.

I've tried comparability mode, closed down all non essential programs, unplugged all my peripherals and disabled sli. All with no luck.

15. Cei

Cei pew pew pew

Run Event Viewer in Windows and check the crash logs that relate to SC. I had the same problem, found out it was being caused by AirDisplay. A quick uninstall and it all worked.

This is another cause.

Last edited: 6 Jun 2014
  16. Blogins

Blogins Panda have Guns

Is there an idiots guide for remapping a joystick in Arena Commander?

17. PaulC2K

PaulC2K PC Master Race

I did that too, its just impossible to do anything without that target tracking on. You'd think it'd auto lock onto the first hostile target and then *cycle* through them with the imaginatively title 'CYCLE hostiles' button. It locks onto the nearest after you've shot someone down too, so...

Also, does anyone else feel like they see a lot of 'xxxxxxxx committed suicide' messages? Is that them knowing the gig is up and podding, cos i'll be shooting away, it'll blow up, and then give me no credit for the takedown.:nono:

18. PaulC2K

PaulC2K PC Master Race

Yes, Cei :D

http://www.reddit.com/r/starcitizen/comments/27c9qj/joystick_configuration_info_x55_config_tweakfix/
    Thats what i used, and its worth pointing you you'll probably want to make some modifications to it but i think its a fully featured xml list, so just go through, put js1-js2 etc where appropriate, and you'll be able to map everything.
    im planning on doing that today, as it helped fix my issue of the stick being on the throttle id and vice versa, but it also moved buttons from their original locations, so im gonna take the time to put everything where i want them.

19. Cei

Cei pew pew pew

https://forums.robertsspaceindustries.com/discussion/110454/guide-actionmap-and-controller-mapping/

If you need help, I can provide a fair amount of it.

Yes, it's the Vanduul ejecting. However CIG have logged it as a bug, so it looks like they're a bit keen to punch out at this stage.

20. GravitySmacked

GravitySmacked Mostly Harmless

What do you do when your engines and weapons are fubared and you're out of control? Is there any way to fix them other than start again?