1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Multi Elite - Dangerous by David Braben

Discussion in 'Gaming' started by Jedra, 6 Nov 2012.

1. ThirtyQuidKid

ThirtyQuidKid Minimodder

Probably some time around 2200. Looks like they are working on it.

Just saw this posted this morning http://forums.frontier.co.uk/showthread.php?t=43518

changes in some of the data mean that there will be a partial reset for Beta 2. At the moment ship loadout and save location are the items needing to be reset.

However there's an opinion here that we'd like to do a full reset as a lot of earning mechanisms have been changed or added and it would be useful to us to track progression from the start point.

As I have mentioned previously that we're not planning a full wipe for beta 2 I thought I would post here to gauge reaction.

2. Blogins

Blogins Panda have Guns

DUMP ALL YOUR CARGO, SELL ALL THE SHIPS!!!

3. Nexxo

Nexxo * Prefab Sprout – The King of Rock 'n' Roll

" Everything must go" --Wild Palms

4. kosch

kosch Trango in the Mango

Just realized today that they have their offices on the Science park and I've been walking past them every time I got out for a walk at lunch from work!

5. ThirtyQuidKid

ThirtyQuidKid Minimodder

BETA 2 in should roll out around 22:20.......

Message just popped up to save and quit....

Looks like it will be a full wipe and re-set and will take a couple of hours to get the BETA 2 on-line if the forums are to be believed

Last edited: 30 Sep 2014
  6. Landy_Ed

Landy_Ed Combat Novice

900Cr!!!

7. Pookeyhead

Pookeyhead It's big, and it's clever.

22:48.. still not here... going to bed... in a bad mood :(

8. Landy_Ed

Landy_Ed Combat Novice

The way I'm reading it, it'll be offline for a couple of hours. May as well have a play with BF4 then....

9. Blogins

Blogins Panda have Guns

Kicking off in the official Elite Forums with the 'entitled' demographic of the backers! :D

10. GravitySmacked

GravitySmacked Mostly Harmless

I'm off to bed with fingers crossed for tomorrow.

11. Pookeyhead

Pookeyhead It's big, and it's clever.

Didn't see anything about that... can you link, or explain?

12. Nexxo

God, aren't they just. :rolleyes:

@Pookey: the thread in question is here: http://forums.frontier.co.uk/showthread.php?t=43518 Some backers getting butt hurt because beta 2 will reset all the gamer stats and statuses, and people will lose their accumulated credits and ships. 'Cause they haven't quite grasped what "beta" means.

Last edited: 1 Oct 2014
  13. Parge

Parge the worst Super Moderator

Nope. Almost everyone said 'wipe it'.

In fact, they originally said partial wipe only (location etc), but such a large majority of the player base said 'do a full reset' they changed their mind and did that instead.

The people you mention are a minuscule minority.

14. Nexxo

Yeah, as I said some backers. Most are taking it in the spirit that it is intended: beta is to find bugs and test performance.

Meanwhile the first videos of Beta 2 are appearing on YouTube. The graphics all look subtly polished and refined --it feels a level up in sophistication. The HUD and in-station displays are all vastly improved and sexed-up. There's a tweaked hyperspace and frameshift effect (I quite liked the old ones, TBH) and galaxy map appears tweaked for clarity, without removing any of the eye candy. There is now a basic system map. Flight effects of other ships jumping and in frameshift have been subtly enhanced.

Some videos show a bug however, in which the galaxy map is the space backdrop rather than the usual starry field. There are also some graphical glitches with a few planets.

First impressions: looking good!

15. Blogins

Blogins Panda have Guns

The BETA 2 crashes alot.

Managed to get in once so far and the changes are impressive! The dashboard now has a CRT scanline effect that really works. Flight mechanics in the Sidewinder appear to be improved as well. At least whilst I was flying around the Outpost it felt more responsive. Love the new station as well! The outpost is very poorly lit to the extent I had to turn on my ships lights to navigate around the station. After soaking all this in, jumped to hyperspace and the BETA crashed! :D

16. ThirtyQuidKid

ThirtyQuidKid Minimodder

My first impressions of BETA 2........ It's changed, some good, the rest we will get used to....

So far got in first time and no crashes yet(Either I'm lucky or Bloggins is unlucky or both).

My first thoughts were how do I trade and then realised I was at Azerban Orbital and it has no Commodities market. The outpost is a bit dingy until take off and then the lights appear. Landing on them is also fun lots of quick turns. Stations are a bit more polished as is the HUD but I hate the holographic blur which is fixed a bit by reducing the brightness. Added outposts and extra stations and some other stuff I have not had a chance to break, sorry test, yet.

They have added a pre-flight check list as well. Turned that off....

The in station services navigation has a new layout which kind of works for me but could do with the text size being reduced.

Being a courier is the easier way to gain credits at the moment. My first few dog-fights were a disaster as I still need to get used to the more responsive sidewinder...

Oh and not quite a full reset as it's still showing my previous kills. Credits were reduced to 1000 and I am Harmless and stuck in the sidewinder........

17. Nexxo

@Blogins: In the current timeline of the Beta, Azeban Outpost is in the shadow of the planet it orbits, hence plunged in darkness.

18. Parge

Parge the worst Super Moderator

That kind of stuff is AWESOME! :rock:

19. Blogins

Blogins Panda have Guns

Elite does the absence of light very well.

The first time I saw the dark side of a planet I had to do a double take because it was just a black void!

20. ThirtyQuidKid

ThirtyQuidKid Minimodder

Well I have to say a few hours in and I'm impressed. Seem a lot smoother and well polished.

I'm just a bit gutted there seems to be a lack of gold in the anarchy systems. There are a fair few NCP's that are easy pickings with high bounty rewards so it's all good.