1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Multi Elite - Dangerous by David Braben

Discussion in 'Gaming' started by Jedra, 6 Nov 2012.

1. Stanley Tweedle

Stanley Tweedle NO VR NO PLAY

Have you considered legal action?

I'm currently suing Microsoft for downloading Windies 10 on my PC before I had a chance to say "no" (it's like rape).

Also suing Chris Roberts for not implementing VR on star citizen on his projected date of August 2015.

2. N17 dizzi

N17 dizzi Multimodder

Stanley has problems with passive aggression. His needs were not met as a child.

3. DeckerdBR

DeckerdBR Minimodder

+1 to this.

and this:

Last edited: 24 Dec 2015
  4. Nexxo

Nexxo * Prefab Sprout – The King of Rock 'n' Roll

I'm not sure how that makes a difference to the price you paid, unless you feel upset about latecomers to Horizons effectively getting the first instalment (base game) for a tenner instead of the £35,-- we paid. But then, they didn't have a whole year of gaming enjoyment that you had.

5. Stanley Tweedle

Yes, I needed a lot of money and didn't get it. Thus I had to spend my childhood as a poor person would.

6. fix-the-spade

fix-the-spade Multimodder

Oh dear.

The 1.5 update has rendered the game unplayable to me. I'm not a PVP gank-******, I played ED to tool around in RES and smash up NPC pirate ships, solo only, brain off, relax and fly about shooting stuff.

The nerf to SCBs has basically made this impossible now, using stacked SCB's is an instant death sentence, using single SCBs generate a negligible effect, attacking groups of NPC pirates alone is no longer possible, even to an all A Python.

It's had the secondary effect of making the combat even more of a grind than before, since standing your ground and fighting consecutive opponents is no longer an option. It took five hours to get one percent on Deadly, I don't play games for 500 hours per year total, Elite is now essentially out of reach to players who haven't already got it.

It's the DICE method of finding the most used things in the game and rendering them unusable. This is not fun, it's not balancing, it's just rendering methods of play non-viable. I'm sure some bugger **** is going to come along and suggest joining a wing, at which point I'm going to strangle them with an ethernet cable.

7. Stanley Tweedle

So.... not happy then.

8. Guest-56605

Guest-56605 Guest

Oh well these things happen, they nerfed missile racks many moons ago also as I recall...

Sooooo any more moaning and groaning to contribute to the thread???

(I might add you hear less moaning and groaning in your average whore house)

9. Stanley Tweedle

Lol.

There is a lot of moaning going on over at frontier forum as well from a percentage.

People have this or that expectation and sometimes u get the feeling they think Elite is a finished game. Complaints about horizons not having enough to do.

Meanwhile... I'm having a lot of fun. Most played sim in some years.

10. fix-the-spade

Temporary malfunction of my spleen vent, much better now.

Looking at the Steam numbers it would seem a lot of people have put Elite down in the last month and haven't picked up Horizons, so at least I'm not the only grumpy git parking his ship in port and going for a drink.

11. Stanley Tweedle

They talk about that on frontier forum.

Lot of whining about price of horizons and often the steam feedback is really dumb.

I'm having a lot of fun on Horizons. I'm sure the VR helps because I'm actually in the universe instead of staring at it through a tiny window.

12. Landy_Ed

Landy_Ed Combat Novice

Nothing to do with the game and everything to do with being allowed to get utterly bladdered I reckon. My lad got a black widow HOTAS to play Elite with but we've not played together since the 25th, he's been doing LEGO starwars and I've been either drinking or helping him. Elite will still be there next week.....

13. fix-the-spade

Indeed, I thin I'm going to abandon combat and go exploring again.

Anybody know what the farthest reachable star system is?

14. IanW

IanW Grumpy Old Git

Anyone else see this at Hexus?

15. ThirtyQuidKid

ThirtyQuidKid Minimodder

So, After a fairly long break I'm gonna try and get back into the game......

Before I do a quick question. I have upgraded the launcher and now have 4 options

ED Horizons 64bit
    ED 32bit
    ED 64bit
    SP Training - obvious one....

If I launch Horizons 64bit am I safe to assume I get access to the original ED and Horizons integrated as a single game?

If I launch ED 64 bit am I safe to assume that it is only the original game only??

Also noticed the install directory is now a whopping 27 Gig of data. I have the following folders but want to get rid of the ones I don't need

COMBAT_TUTORIAL_DEMO
    elite-dangerous-64 - assume I have to keep this one...
    FORC-FDEV-D-1002
    PUBLIC_TEST_SERVER
    PUBLIC_TEST_SERVER_64

Can I delete all but the elite-dangerous-64 folder and still have access to all components?????

Thanks all.

16. Stanley Tweedle

You can wipe it all and just download horizons which looked to about about 6gb. No need for the 32 bit or the season 1 ED now.

For anyone (like me) using VR... I recommend installing horizons via the frontier launcher for better performance. Elite can use the latest Oculus runtime now via steamVR and does not need to be installed via steam to make use it it.

If you launch just ED that gives u only the original game.
    Horizons is cumulative so includes season 1.

Thus season 1 as a separate install is not needed anymore.

Also note that between the steam and frontier downloaded versions all your game settings are stored. Thus you can swap to a steam version or back to the frontier version and not lose any of your config or game position.

17. ThirtyQuidKid

ThirtyQuidKid Minimodder

Nice,

I'll have a clean up of the install and get some of my SSD space back. Might give the new content a spin later today....

18. Stanley Tweedle

I'm on Horizons every night now.

Some rant and bitch about it over on frontier forum but I like it a lot. I like the flight/combat/exploring.

19. damien c

damien c Mad FPS Gamer

Had to do abit of clean on my system the other day, and screw my Rhino to the desk that I got of my mate the other week.

I am quite happy with Horizons although I think for those who paid for beta access like I did I think the price was a little to high, but that just reminds me to grab the lifetime expansion pass next time it's on sale, as the beta was only out for around 2 weeks.

My current goal at the moment in the game is getting ranked up in the Empire to be able to get the Cutter and then go trading some slaves as I should make nearly 2.5 million credits each round trip.

Then eventually rank up the Federation to be able to try the Corvette.

I have decided though that I am more than likely at some point going to downgrade from a 4K monitor to 3 1080p monitors for some surround gameplay on Elite, but that will have to wait till I have a job again and built a new desk as my current one is falling apart.

Tempted when I build my desk to build it so that I can put my pc inside the desk, like the project I saw ages ago (L3P Desk) but it will depend on if I can manage to get it to work as I don't really have any wood or metal working skills.

[​IMG]

20. Stanley Tweedle

No no no!!!!

There is no "surround gameplay" with 3 monitors. If you want surround gameplay then you buy Oculus or HTC Vive. Elite was made for VR. Life-size 3d graphics wherever you look versus 3 x tiny images with ugly borders. It's hard to put into works how amazing Elite is with VR. Flying low over a planet at true to life scale with 3d imagery is breathtaking.

Go to frontier forums and look in the VR sub-forum. Lot of VR fans there.