1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Displays The VR thread

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by Parge, 10 Apr 2013.

1. rainbowbridge

rainbowbridge Minimodder

2. rollo

rollo Modder

Think ill buy anything but oculus at this point. No shock that palmer has stopped his posts.

4k 90fps 1080 required min settings required.

3. rainbowbridge

rainbowbridge Minimodder

I was playing assetto last night and yes its great (spa 2min27 in Z4 GT, some arse got 2:20ffs) but the truth about the rift is, the FOV, your head IS in tunnels.

When ever Oculus or who ever starts making the next headset, of all the specs, its this FOV James bond opening scene looking down a gun barrel thing going on.

For the next generation of headsets I sure hope its pretty clear its expected the peripheral that needs to be unobstructed.

I want the headset vision completely clear into the scene as the middle of the vision and 110deg view I want that extended to the point of lack of boarder.

4. Blogins

Blogins Panda have Guns

Could do with some advice on how to rip a 3D Blu-Ray movie for use within Oculus Video, preferably with free software!

5. IanW

IanW Grumpy Old Git

I see Currys are now listing Vive for £689.99 delivered, with an available date of 30th June.

6. jinq-sea

jinq-sea 'write that down in your copy book' Super Moderator

I just came here to post this! :)

7. Blogins

Blogins Panda have Guns

8. Parge

Parge the worst Super Moderator

Anyone managed to get Alien isolation working again?

9. rollo

rollo Modder

Vive seems to be instock in many places. Still a very expensive device for most.

10. rainbowbridge

rainbowbridge Minimodder

you would not believe how good Iracing is in the cv1 holly cow is it some thing else, its like your real life racing, the physics are amazingly life like, I just totalled a Ruf RT 12R RWD many times at the start of Nord and burnt out the clutch lol.

Iracing is as about as close as is possible to real racing, it totally obliterates assetto corsa and especially project cars.

Its like some one from the project cars team played iracing and tried to implement its physics but didn't know math properly or some thing.

Iracing is easily my go to sim racing tittle, I am pretty sure if you got good at iracing It would be pretty decent in real life, you cant just power or drift with ease, its a whole level up from assetto from what I have seen so far, you actually have the full bore weight of the car behind you as you race up spa Raidillon Eau Rouge, you can actually feel the weight and inertia, force feedback is really excellent just perfect.

Iracing is easily the elite dangerious of car simulation no question.

will explore its online racing after I put some decent practise time in.

11. Anfield

Anfield Multimodder

While I agree that it is far from cheap, knock off lets say £200 for the included controllers and early adopters penalty and suddenly it is "only" the same price as any half decent gaming monitor...

12. rollo

rollo Modder

Most people buy the cheapest HD screen they can afford is the reality. Oculus and VIVE will both struggle till that perception changes or the device price is below £400.

In the PC space it's a £1000 PC + a £700 VIVE that's probably double most people's total budgets for PC gaming.

The 1060 and 480 could help in that regard. Will either give a good enough experience is questionable. Oculus and VIVE have both tried to force games to work to a minimum spec the 970 or 980 equivelent performance.

Problem is there's games out now that need more gpu power than either card can offer.

13. rainbowbridge

rainbowbridge Minimodder

VR World Congress 2016: Roy Taylor (AMD) The Race to Realism

Just want to say I really appreciate this presentation, I like the English that AMD is putting forward here.

Has any one any comments input or insight about this presentation?

14. Stanley Tweedle

Stanley Tweedle NO VR NO PLAY

Shipping within 2 days.

I checked at Octopus store yesterday and still a 2 month wait on new orders and you don't even get Valkyrie now. Just crappy unLuckey's tale.

Vive comes with much better games.

15. rainbowbridge

rainbowbridge Minimodder

MOnday....

16. Stanley Tweedle

You're exaggerating. Unless CV1 FOV has decreased since DK2... DK2 FOV was massively improved over pre-oculus VR systems. I owned PC3d back around 2007. Later Vusix. DK2/CV1 and Vive give you ski goggles type FOV unless you have the setup adjusted wrong.

17. Stanley Tweedle

For mainstream market the price will come down by gen 2 or 3. Vive's price hasn't stopped them selling a whole lot in a short space of time. Many hardcore sim fans planned a year in advance to buy Vive pretty much whatever it cost. They were debating on frontier forum last year that it might cost 1000, 1200 but most were still determined to buy because of what it brought to Elite.

And now IL-2 flight sim is heading into VR with a lot of happy fans congratulating the devs.

Incidentally... Vive is the most advanced, lowest cost consumer VR ever in the history of VR.

So although it's priced beyond the reach of most casual gamers... it's a lot of very sophisticated hardware for a rather reasonable price. Laser tracking that would only have been seen in military helicopters a decade ago.

I don't remember anyone complaining about the cost of 4k monitors when they first came to market (maybe a small percentage of numpties did).

HMD VR is a lot more complex than a 4k monitor. A lot of R&D and parts.

18. forum_user

forum_user forum_title

I think I agree Rainbowbridge.

At some point the screens shouldnt just be in front of our eyes, but fully encompass our faces to provide a full frontal image with no tunnel. Although the tunnel is not huge, it is still there.

Stanley - I think rainbow is referring to the goggles effect you mention. We need to feel like our faces are in the action, not in goggles.

Oculus exclusive?

19. Stanley Tweedle

It's generally AAA titles that are the problem. David Braben has described his game as a AAA title. A lot of graphics detail. I had to run LOW when I had GTX 970. PCars too.

20. rainbowbridge

rainbowbridge Minimodder

"And now IL-2 flight sim is heading into VR with a lot of happy fans congratulating the devs."
    oh really?>

???????????

link please,

that's very important news if true, last I heard they were on dx9 or some thing a small team and could not manage the update to support dx12 / vr.,

I will instantly purchase if they add vr, no issue at all, £29, £49, what ever.

Software houses need to understand you bring full fat full flavour to VR you will get support.

Also Edit:

I cant drive for toffee in dirt rally, I literally have no mass inertia control, its darn hard.

full music score and huge props to code master, life time gratitude for making dirty rally.

check out the action @ 0min31seconds..

and the lines @ 2:02.
    [below]

Last edited: 8 Jul 2016