1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

E.U: Leave or Stay? Your thoughts.

Discussion in 'Serious' started by TheBlackSwordsMan, 22 Feb 2016.

1. fix-the-spade

fix-the-spade Multimodder

Scotland is rather knackered either way.

If they leave the UK they will be more than likely be considered a new applicant to join the EU, since the UK was the member state and they have seceded.

If they do nothing they leave anyway, by the time they organise a second referendum they may have already left (two years from today, at most).

Even if they manage it in time, Scotland's budget deficit is larger than Greece (no really), they have no national currency (no the Scottish Pound isn't recognised by anyone outside the UK) and the prospect of being forced to enact a closed border with the UK is an unenviable one at best (Sturgeon's Wall anyone?).

Even if they sort all that out, Spain would likely veto their application since they are currently engaged in a similar battle with Catalonia and will do nothing that even vaguely resemble supporting a secessionist movement.

Last edited: 24 Jun 2016
  2. boiled_elephant

boiled_elephant Merom Celeron 4 lyfe

Wouldn't Scotland actually have quite an easy time rejoining the EU independently, though? They must surely meet all the criteria. Presumably the stigma of being physically attached to a racist pile of white southerners isn't enough to scupper it for them.

3. fix-the-spade

fix-the-spade Multimodder

No they actually meet very few of the criteria (see large budget deficit, lack of currency, border controls etc).

4. liratheal

liratheal Sharing is Caring

I thought they had issues with the currency side of things and central banking etc, since RBS are, well, mostly owned by us now?

5. Fizzban

Fizzban Man of Many Typos

Bit much saying we are all racist. I'm not, I simply felt we should get out while we could.

6. Darkwisdom

Darkwisdom Level 99 Retro Nerd

I'm pretty disgusted. Not with the Referendum, or the way people voted. I'm disgusted about how people have acted. I've severed a few friendships with people who literally insulted and threatened me over the vote. I'm quite demoralised at the moment.

7. IanW

IanW Grumpy Old Git

Latest is that Thomas Cook have suspended currency sales nationwide.
    I expect other travel agents/supermarkets to follow suit very shortly.

8. Gunsmith

Gunsmith Maximum Win

Man I know that feeling, im getting tired of being referred to as a baby eating Nazi just for having different views. :rolleyes:

aramil and mrlongbeard like this.
  9. Yadda

Yadda Minimodder

Leave voter being interviewed on TV:

"I thought remain would win. I didn't think my vote would mean anything. I'm quite worried now."

Too late now boy. Careful what you wish for.

10. VipersGratitude

VipersGratitude Multimodder

11. David

David μoʍ ɼouმ qᴉq λon ƨbԍuq ϝʁλᴉuმ ϝo ʁԍɑq ϝμᴉƨ

Us includes everyone in Scotland, you know that, right?

RBS isn't Scotland's Central Bank - Scotland doesn't have a Central Bank - you know that too, right?

12. Nexxo

Nexxo * Prefab Sprout – The King of Rock 'n' Roll

Indeed.

13. lilgoth89

lilgoth89 Captin Calliope

Birmingham Updates are posting that Morgan Stanley are moving their 2000 London Jobs to Dublin / Frankfurt

[​IMG]

Northern Ireland also reported to want to hold another referendum about re-joining the Republic or Ireland

14. VipersGratitude

VipersGratitude Multimodder

15. faugusztin

faugusztin I *am* the guy with two left hands

16. Otis1337

Otis1337 aka - Ripp3r

Myself and my partner have opened a savings account to move to Scotland.
    leavers have no idea what they have done and was gullible to listen to the leave campaigns rubbish (there even admitting some of the stuff they was saying was lies now).
    Doomed us all.

17. Harlequin

Harlequin Modder

just had a chat with an irish friend (and an ivite to go see him!) - jerry adams pops up quite a lot and mentions unification - its so frequent the irish media don't usually report it!

whilst it will happen one day apparently - that day wont be soon - one or 2 issues to get over first (nothing about potato farming either - joke was appreciated though)

as an aside , its not just leavers who can be asshats , seen a few left wing remainers making all sort of threats to `ignorant and racist` leavers....

18. bawjaws

bawjaws Multimodder

You do know that Scotland is leaving the EU too, right? :D

Don't bet the farm on a second Scottish independence referendum a) happening or b) delivering an independent Scotland. I'm not sure that there are nearly enough people up here willing to go through it all again or vote for independence.

Edit: obviously that's to Otis, not Harle! :)

19. Valo

Valo Minimodder

You bet your savings and livelihood on a battle you fight with a piece of paper and a pen. The problem with people voting leave is that they don't even realise they are the biggest beneficiaries of the EU membership and will get shafted even worse once Boris and Nigel get their hands on the regulation. They will squeeze you for the last penny and the last minute of your waking life.

A graph to make a very simple case for why you Britons screwed up royally:
    [​IMG]

Politics is no longer something you can discuss with a beer in a pub and then claim that others can't know any better. Precisely because it has gotten so complex (Brexit will not make it simpler), it might make sense to step back and listen to the 'fear mongers' instead of basing important decisions on emotion and vague statements like 'change will be painful, but it's OK'

20. .//TuNdRa

.//TuNdRa Resident Bulldozer Guru