1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Other What currently makes your life awesome?

Discussion in 'General' started by Brooxy, 28 Oct 2009.

1. theshadow2001

theshadow2001 [DELETE] means [DELETE]

Curry.

I do make a tasty butter chicken. Yum yum.

Guinness.

Because Guinness.

2. Arboreal

Arboreal Keeper of the Electric Currants

Do tell us, it sounds great...

3. theshadow2001

Oh, its basically Misty Ricardo's recipe (with a lot less butter and some extra chilli, holy crap he puts a lot of butter in):

There's a lot of ground work making the base sauce and that. But I make a batch every now and then, portion it out and freeze it. I then thaw out a block when ever I want to make a curry. I'm sure its an affront to anyone that is actually Indian, but it is very tasty nonetheless.

RedFlames likes this.
  4. RedFlames

RedFlames ...is not a Belgian football team

It's called 'butter chicken', you'd kinda expect there to be a fair amount of butter/ghee in there...

+rep for the recipe though... now gotta compare it to the other ones i have...

EDIT: for reference some of the batter chicken recipes have nearly twice the amount of butter in as the one you shared...

Last edited: 20 Nov 2016
  5. EvilMerc

EvilMerc Minimodder

Take a look at the A4069 from Llangadog to Upper Byrnamman, your 125 will be a bit wheezy going up it but you're not going to be wanting to do 60mph for the most part anyway. The view is phenomenal too. The A483 from Bulith Wells to Newtown is definitely worth a ride too, when you get it without too much traffic it's superb, gets very tight at the northern end.

6. theshadow2001

Yeah, I guess so. I just think there's probably a sort of diminishing return when comes to adding butter. The being said, I don't think anyone has ever tasted a dish and said "ugh, that has too much butter". :D

7. Byron C

Byron C Multimodder

Noted, ta :thumb:

Gonna need a satnav :D. So far I've been relying on Brain v1.0, but I've been riding local(ish) roads that I know.

8. EvilMerc

EvilMerc Minimodder

I've never had a satnav on my bike, if I get lost I pull over and check Google Maps at most and memorise the route. Distractions on a bike, especially if you're new, are the last things you need. Besides, getting lost on a bike is half the fun!

9. Arboreal

Thanks for sharing that with us shadow; it reminded me that I bought a small book 'The Curry Secret' years ago, but never used it.
    Their base recipe was about 1/2 a ton of onions and took all day to make :(

I'll look at Misty's base as it looks less intensive, albeit involved.

Dat butter... :eeek: AND CREAM!

One of these days I'll have a curry making session, I like the idea of freezing the base gravy after all that exertion.

10. RedFlames

RedFlames ...is not a Belgian football team

This is the recipe I've used in the past.

Options never hurt.

11. theshadow2001

Ah yes I have that book and some others but I find Misty Ricardo channel as good as any of them. Base gravy recipes are all fairly similar, basically cook the living crap out of a load of onions. You do have to stay with it and it does take time but the resulting curries are different than when using more traditional techniques.

The thing is to do most of the prep in advance. Cook the meat, prepare the base sauce. Making base sauce, cooking the meat and finally cooking the curry is going to be a long day if done all at once. With the base sauce and meat done in advance it's just a matter of getting the ingredients laid out before cooking the curry which itself only takes 10 or 15 minutes.

Also I've never made anyone's mix powder. I just use a mild madras powder from tesco.

Last edited: 21 Nov 2016
  12. Arboreal

This is great, guys. I see a Curry Club thread coming on! :rock: OC Butter Chicken to the fore

13. theshadow2001

Yes I have tried recipes like this for both butter chicken and chicken tikka masala. It turns out very nice but I still prefer the approach above. The cashew nut paste is such a crucial ingredient in that style of recipe, it really turns the dish around.

Something that I've seen the Brothers Green Eats doing is to cook the tandoori chicken in a frying pan and put a blow torch on them whilst they fry to get that nice charring effect. I haven't tried that yet but its one my to do list.
    https://youtu.be/0gCZ0ilKsA8?t=1910

14. DeadP1xels

DeadP1xels Social distancing since 92

Second session on my sleeve is practically healed, I'm 6 hours in to a total of 18 hours until completion. I booked my first session in July which gave me a slot in October, had another in November and moving onto the inside of the arm (and highlighting the top part of the arm) early December. Most would probably choke on their lunch if they knew the costing involved (I always deliberately half the cost when telling my parents)

I feel its worth it, The process has been fun its been something I've envisioned for 6 years (while not having the confidence to do it) and after all that finally having a true artist take that imaginary from my head and put it onto paper while increasing my expectations ten fold has given me the biggest confidence boost. So far its basically a half sleeve without the inner part and I get compliments daily if I decide to remove my jacket. Ridiculously happy....

15. Vault-Tec

Vault-Tec Green Plastic Watering Can

Not used my Grado RS2Es in ages and ages because I did not have enough power sockets to plug the amp in that is dedicated to them. Finally bought a bigger power strip and man I realise just how much I have missed them. Currently listening to Ritchie Valens and it's actually haunting. Amazing.

16. Byron C

Byron C Multimodder

We went shopping at the weekend, but most of the meat we bought had a really short expiry date - we really should check dates before we buy stuff if we're expecting it to last for a week. So today I've been doing a ton of batch cooking: beef stroganoff (4 portions), lasagne (6 portions), and I'm just finishing off some fried chicken (although that's for this evening).

Cleaned the house a bit, got a crapton of meals cooked and ready to freeze, and got rid of all the washing up.

In other news, deep frying stuff on the hob is an experience I don't want to repeat too often :eeek:

17. Strudul

Strudul ~

I used to deep fry chips in a big deep pan on the hob all the time. Totally worth it.

18. theshadow2001

Leave the pot at least half empty for deep frying. It's also a good excuse to buy a laser thermometer. pew pew.

19. Byron C

Byron C Multimodder

EDIT: The fried chicken was definitely a success. Doing that again.

Yeah I think home made chips are next. Once I clean the crud out of the pan :|.

I know a lot of things have to go wrong in order for me to have a chip pan fire, but there was no way I was going to deep fry on the hob without some kind of thermometer!

20. Strudul

Strudul ~

Do onion rings too :thumb:. You mean the flavour? I just leave it in there :lol:

Somehow I never managed to burn the house down. Should be fine as long as you watch it and react accordingly...

Is it going to bubble over? - yes - ok that's bad, lower the heat / remove the lid / move it to the side.