1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Windows The Windows 10 Thread

Discussion in 'Software' started by impar, 30 Sep 2014.

1. mrbungle

mrbungle Undercooked chicken giver

Had this same problem the other day.

Laptop presented to me with a 120GB SSD with 3GB free.

Uninstalled W7 rollback files and cleared out some bumph to get 16GB free.

Anniversary update hit and left me with 4GB again :miffed:

Then went through disc clean up and got rid of the pre anniversary roll back to free up 5 or 6GB.

Constant fighting with it that really annoyed me :rolleyes:

2. oscy

oscy Modder

It's pretty normal nowadays. I even had technical trouble logging into a website and the helpdesk solved it by remote access.

Still waiting for doctors, opticians etc. to have remote access to our bodies to solve our unexplainable ails.

3. DragunovHUN

DragunovHUN Modder

Had a clean install with anniversary edition install media, the changes to the bundled apps compared to the original are kind of absurd.

My pro license no longer pre-installs the PDF reader - because who ever uses PDF in a professional capacity - but I did get like 7 games including Candy Crush.

Instead of distinguishing itself with desirable features like a gray explorer theme that pretty much all production software has, it seems like the pro license is just becoming less and less pro.

4. theshadow2001

theshadow2001 [DELETE] means [DELETE]

So I haven't booted into windows since Firefox 47.0 and I'm going through the rigmarole of updating things (my screen is awash with progress bars). I've noticed that Microsoft tried to push me into upgrading into Windows 10 but I thought they got rid of all of that. I also noticed that somehow the update that installs the Malware that pesters you into installing the upgrade magically unhid itself.

The thing is I thought they ended the upgrade offer.

5. impar

impar Minimodder

6. wolf5ster

wolf5ster Minimodder

Haven't been able to to connect to the kids pc connected to the printer and also my daughters laptop can't connect to it since my eldest updated to windows 10 from windows 7. I have Ubuntu 16.04 installed on an external HDD and Mint 18 I plug in now and again.

Windows 10 will get there eventually:)

7. impar

impar Minimodder

Greetings!

8. RedFlames

RedFlames ...is not a Belgian football team

MS Brings Windows to ARM... again...

Only this time the appear to have done it properly, complete with x86 app support [performance of which is apparently not too bad]. So this shouldn't be RT v2.

9. theshadow2001

Microsoft are all over the place. What exactly do they have that is going to make this turn out any better than the original ARM bellyflop?

10. RedFlames

The fact that this time x86/win32 stuff works without needing to be ported/recompiled.

Here's the MS advert -

But given it's Microsoft, it [Windows on ARM] could still bomb spectacularly... again...

11. theshadow2001

They have an impressive emulation layer, but I'm still sceptical as to the advantages for the end users. A full windows 10 install isn't really suited to the space where ARM is king, basically highly mobile devices like small tablets and phones. Once you move above that into laptops, I would ask the question if an ARM processor plus an emulation layer have any advantage over a straight x86_64 based processor.

12. RedFlames

Power consumption maybe? IIRC even the most frugal of Intel's ULV offerings still requires more juice than ARM, plus ARM are slowly encroaching on Intel in the server market so MS will want to have a product they can sell to anyone with an ARM server.

There must be some market for windows on ARM else MS wouldn't have bothered trying again...

EDIT: Also MS are somewhat relying on UWP to make this work, they've demo'd x86 emulation works, and works moderately well, but i think the aim is to get devs over to UWP so they can run on ARM [or x86 or whatever else they port windows too] without emulation. x86 emulation is accepting the reality of now [that most windows app are win32/x86] whilst trying to nudge people towards [MS' idea of] the future [UWP].

13. Krazeh

Krazeh Minimodder

I'm also pretty sure that an ARM processor is significantly cheaper than an x86_64 one.

14. impar

impar Minimodder

Greetings!

15. Concrete-Coffin

Concrete-Coffin Minimodder

can anybody explain why eset keeps telling me ive got updates for intel stuff but on the windows update doesn't show them or install

[​IMG]

16. RedFlames

Intel doesn't typically push chipset driver updates over WU. Pretty sure the chipset drivers on WU lag behind those by those provided on intel's site by a few versions.

So if in doubt,
    grab them direct from intel

17. impar

impar Minimodder

Greetings!

18. wolf5ster

wolf5ster Minimodder

:worried:I don't know if its just me, I keep getting a window opening and closing for like a millisecond. It's like when it updates but its not authorized to. Seems to only be since this major update

19. RedFlames

It's a Office background task, been freaking a few people out.

If you cba waiting for MS to fix it [it's fixed in the preview builds of office fwiw] and want to disable it, open Task Scheduler, go to Task Scheduler Library > Microsoft > Office, disable "OfficeBackgroundTaskHandlerRegistration"

20. Krazeh

Krazeh Minimodder