1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Other Those pieces of hardware you always wanted... But never owned.

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by Wakka, 11 Jul 2017.

1. Wakka

Wakka Yo, eat this, ya?

I was looking at a timeline of Nvidia GPU's a week or so back and when I got to the 6800 Ultra, I remembered how much I wanted one at the time. I still routinely check Ebay and Gumtree to see if anyone is flogging a cheap TJ07 too, just to say I've owned one.

There's a whole separate list of Lian Li's I've wanted to build a rig in - V2000, V2100, P80, X2000...

Then there was the X1950XTX, which was blitzing through games like FEAR and X3 like a shiny red rocket while my trusty X1800GTO was just about coping.

ElThomsono likes this.
  2. davido_labido

davido_labido Your Alphacool Contact.

TJ07 is on my wishlist too.

I also want a dual CPU motherboard in a build just so I can do some crazy liquid cooling

. I also want to do a crazy storage server style build... just loads of HDDSs and a nice chunky controller:D

Last edited: 11 Jul 2017
  3. Vault-Tec

Vault-Tec Green Plastic Watering Can

GTX 580 Classified. I just absolutely loved that cooler.

4. Gareth Halfacree

Gareth Halfacree WIIGII! Lover of bit-tech Administrator Super Moderator Moderator

Dual Voodoo 2s. Only had the original 4MB Voodoo, which remains to this day one of my soundest investments. Man, that thing revolutionised gaming.

Commodore SX64. Loved the idea of being able to lug a Commodore around, and the floppy drive would have come in handy too.

Atari Falcon. ALL THE POWER, but by crikey those things are expensive now on the second-hand market.

5. David

David μoʍ ɼouმ qᴉq λon ƨbԍuq ϝʁλᴉuმ ϝo ʁԍɑq ϝμᴉƨ

I think I still have a pair of those, in the cupboard of many things. No idea if they still work though.

They're yours if you want them, assuming I can find them.

6. Vault-Tec

Intel Itanium. Even though it would have been useless.
    SGI Onyx - see above.
    Xeon Phi.

Last edited: 11 Jul 2017
  7. Byron C

Byron C Multimodder

Seconded. I always wanted a Falcon - I still want a Falcon. But not at £1100-£1500.

8. Vault-Tec

Sinclair QL. DKtronics mech keyboard shell for the spectrum (god it was expensive !)

Shadow of the Unicorn for Speccy. See above.

9. Gareth Halfacree

Gareth Halfacree WIIGII! Lover of bit-tech Administrator Super Moderator Moderator

A lovely thought, but I need to be getting stuff out of the office rather than bringing stuff in!

10. Lankius Maximus

Lankius Maximus Minimodder

11. RedFlames

RedFlames ...is not a Belgian football team

Wacom Cintiq

Power Mac G5 [mainly for the modding potential], the plastic G4 Power Mac at a push...

An intact ZX Spectrum [the one i had was held together with yellow electrical tape for as long as I can remember]

12. Guest-16

Guest-16 Guest

This. I LUSTED for some SLI action after I bought the original 4MB Voodoo, but still enjoyed Res Evil 2 and others on the voodoo at 10x7 on my 15" CRT, and I remember my dad even went "WOW"
    Celeron 400a. I could never afford one. Bought ~2 K6-2s 400 then ~450 and had a nightmare installing Windows 98 due to a bug in the Win code. After that I bought a Duron 750 then AXIA 1GHz and it was all great.
    Voodoo 5 - any of them. Again I could never afford. But I did own a GeForce 256 SDR shortly after which revolutionized my CS beta playing.
    GeForce 2 Ultra or 3 Ti 500 - That was fast fast fast fast back then. I upgraded from the 256 to a Radeon 9800, which was night/day upgrade. Then I killed the 9800 trying to pencil mod the memory and swapped it for a 4200 Ti instead.
    I bought then sold my dual Tualatin system around 2003. Gutted still to this day I had to sell it, but I was so broke.
    Lian Li PC60. With the side-mounted HDD rack in the bottom. Absolute classic. I bought the CM 201 instead at the time and regretted it. I worked for a company in a summer job around ~2001 that bought 12 PC-60s for their lab equipment. Best.time.ever. installing all that hardware.
    Lian Li V2000 or X2000. They will still sell the X series direct from Lian, whose factory is just down the road from me, but they're so expensive I can't justify it. The big V's on wheels were absolutely gorgeous. I remember we had a few in the labs over time. They were like the Rolls Royce of PC chassis.
    ROG MARS 3. I held one, a real one, not the fake one shown at Computex. Even saw two running with dual 680s and later dual 780 Ti cores, but it got shelved (guess NwhoV is to blame there). Should have nicked it from the lab in hindsight as it only got recycled.
    PG348Q - I'll never own one but those 34" wide monitors + Gsync are gorgeous. I miss GSync so much. I bought the GSync upgrade kit from Nvidia and modded my own VG248, that was fun!
    A3D sound card. I'm still sad A3D died. F**** EAX. I owned one and it was infinitely the better option but no drivers meant it got shelved. The betamax of the early 00s.
    A Pentium Pro - just because Socket 8 size + ceramic package

Owned a Lightning 480, which was hothothtohtohthot and then a Matrix 580 for a while, that was very nice!

The XTXs were unbelievably noisy. It was vacuum cleaner-level and pitch noise. VVRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRR

We had one of the very few 7800 512-bit cards in the lab at the time that went head to head with it and the NV card and cooler was just wonderful. So quiet, so efficient. We had to warn other people in the room that we were turning on the ATI card because it was so bad they couldn't concentrate.

Last edited by a moderator: 12 Jul 2017
  13. Vault-Tec

I know dude you gave the 480L to me :D I put it on an AIO.

14. ElThomsono

ElThomsono Multimodder

Sony Vaio VGN-P21Z, super small compact laptop, pretty good specs regardless, but unfortunately now a relic of time and would be brutally slow to use.

Expect to spend £150 on eBay just for the nostalgia.

I have an MZ-E10 though and it's a thing of beauty.

15. Gareth Halfacree

Ooh, ooh! The Toshiba Libretto. Pocket-sized thing with up to a Pentium 266MMX and a 128MB of RAM. I used one when I worked for the NHS, the Libretto 50 I think it was. Bloody lovely thing.

Similarly, the Psion Series 5MX. I had various Psions - sent to a fellow collector during the last office move - but never the top-end 5MX. The keyboards on those things were incredible, and while I was tempted to go all-in on the crowdfunded Gemini successor I have zero confidence in that thing ever being released as-promised.

Arboreal likes this.
  16. Zak33

Zak33 Staff Lover of bit-tech Administrator

I always wanted a server rack in my garage.....
    I have utterly no reason to really want that, and I could do it....but I just wanted it

it's a bit like the Loch Ness Monster... if I did it, I know it would ruin the dream.....

17. Guest-16

Guest-16 Guest

Did it work well?

18. mrbungle

mrbungle Undercooked chicken giver

Tricky one this as I have owned or gone back and retrospectively bought most stuff later in life I missed out on while it was current.

Never had a 6800 Ultra. Would have liked that when I had the vanilla 6800 and a ill fated 6600GTs in SLI.

Sadly cant ever see me getting one as they are very collectible.

19. Vault-Tec

Hell yeah ! 48c in Furmark lol. I ended up passing it on to a pro overclocker. Not sure he ever overclocked it though, as he said they were difficult and could die easily. I broke the stock cooler accidentally so yeah, was a pain to have to have a rad hanging off it :(

I wish I hadn't had that accident now, I would deffo still have it otherwise. Contacted MSI, about as helpful as a chocolate teapot.

20. Arboreal

Arboreal Keeper of the Electric Currants

I wanted a Tosh Libretto too, and also an IBM 701 Thinkpad with the 'Butterfly Keyboard' while I think of it. Odd really, as I generally don't like laptops - still fond of my cute Thinkpad X61 though.

The one thing that I did REALLY want in the 90s was the Apple Power Mac 6100 with 486 Add on PC card that was able to run 2 lots of hardware with shared HDD and CD Drive. This was when we were running Macs for Photoshop that blew away 486DX PCs. My Basic Performa wasn't too shabby when it had had a Power Mac (G1!) CPU transplant and 16MB of RAM that cost a whopping £200!