1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Other Those pieces of hardware you always wanted... But never owned.

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by Wakka, 11 Jul 2017.

1. Vault-Tec

Vault-Tec Green Plastic Watering Can

Alienware War Of The Worlds, Superman and Star Wars (lightside and darkside)

2. yuusou

yuusou Multimodder

I wanted a GeForce4 Ti 4800 128MB in my old old rig.
    I wanted to cluster a bunch of first gen Raspberry Pis, for no apparent reason.
    I wanted a server rack to run my own servers in my garage and a garage to go with it (I currently run my own mail server on a VPS though).

3. Vault-Tec

3Dlabs Wildcat.

4. edzieba

edzieba Virtual Realist

Amiga A4000. Or at least another A1200.

5. goldstar0011

goldstar0011 Multimodder

DAT drive, although I did manage to get one from an old server and never used it so binned it a coupe of weeks ago!

6. bawjaws

bawjaws Multimodder

My A1200 is still sitting about in a cupboard somewhere. Should probably either flog it or set it up, really (although I'd not be surprised at all if it was dead as a dodo - that RTC battery is 100% certain to have leaked :( )

7. Gareth Halfacree

Gareth Halfacree WIIGII! Lover of bit-tech Administrator Super Moderator Moderator

YAS. My Amiga collection is considerably shrunken these days: an Amiga A500Plus with 68010 and 68882 FPU accelerator, 512KB trapdoor, and a USB drive in place of the floppy drive (holding the entire TOSEC Amiga archive, which is crazy stuff); and an Amiga A1200 with Blizzard IV accelerator featuring 50MHz 68030 and 68882 processors and 32MB of RAM, 4GB Compact Flash IDE drive, SCSI adaptor with external CD-ROM, the latest official Kickstart ROMs, and shiny plastics and keyboard. I loves it, I does, but I have to admit it hasn't seen much use since the Commodore 1040 monitor I used to use with it died...

EDIT: And, on that topic, another entry for the list: a 68060-based accelerator. My word, those things could fly. Shame you'd need to remortgage in order to afford one on the second-hand market these days.

Last edited: 12 Jul 2017
  8. edzieba

edzieba Virtual Realist

If it works... dibs! (we're technically not in the sales forum, so that's totally not against the rules, right?)
    Speaking of monitors: one of the really nice broadcast CRT monitors (e.g. Sony BVM series) is another DO WANT (not going to pretend an SUHD OLED mastering monitor is ever going to be on the cards).

9. davido_labido

davido_labido Your Alphacool Contact.

Oh! I know what else I have wanted for a while.... an IBM Model M, dem buckling springs <3

10. Gareth Halfacree

Gareth Halfacree WIIGII! Lover of bit-tech Administrator Super Moderator Moderator

Model F's where it's at, yo. Sold mine on these 'ere forums when I moved offices. Knocks the Model Ms I had into a cocked hat - and it was the Personal Computer AT version, so all's it needed to plug into a modern desktop is an AT to PS/2 cable.

Finally decided to upgrade to something with a few more keys, though. Not having F11 and F12 was annoying, having no dedicated cursor keys unveiled badly-written software (the Arduino IDE, for example, won't let you navigate with the number-pad cursor keys), the lack of home row was a niggle, but it was the lack of Super and Alt. Gr. that really did for me. I wouldn't say I'm *happier* with my current keyboard, but I'm a lot quicker at achieving a whole bunch of different tasks.

11. davido_labido

The model F has lighter springs though doesn't it? I want the heavy ones from the M.

I hear you regarding lack of keys though, I am currently using a Vortex Core 47 key :D

12. edzieba

edzieba Virtual Realist

If we're dredging up keyboard tech, an old Beamspring keyboard would be nice for maximum clackitude.

13. IanW

IanW Grumpy Old Git

Isn't someone making new Model F's?

14. davido_labido

I didn't know what that was, googled it then realised my father's workplace used to have one, or at least something very similar. I remember a little game where you typed commands in and a little turtle used to move around, so you would type "forward 30" and "left turn 90" and it would move around... I used to write on the massive part at the top of the keyboard so that I could do the same thing the next time I played it. No idea what that game was called though :/

15. Gareth Halfacree

No; the Model M uses thinner *everything*, and is considerably lighter and weaker as a result. Going from the Model M to the Model F is like going from a decent rubber membrane to Cherry MXes; it's that big a difference.
    Logo (1967), the traditional introduction to programming when BASIC (1964) was considered too scary and/or boring.

16. Guest-16

Guest-16 Guest

17. bawjaws

bawjaws Multimodder

Well, if it works and I decide to sell then I'll keep you posted :)

edzieba likes this.
  18. wolfticket

wolfticket Downwind from the bloodhounds

Jeez did I want a 3Dfx Voodoo 3 3000.

19. davido_labido

Hmmm, I knew the keyboard was physically lighter and the Model F has a metal case iirc, but I was sure that the M had the heavier actuation. I must have remembered it wrong =( . Well, I guess I now want a Model F then... :D

20. Vault-Tec

Looks like fun :D

BTW I had a brand new boxed Voodoo 5500 PCI. I walked into PCworld and they were all in the bargain bins for £99. I nearly got it back about three years ago, but my cousin let me down (story of his life) and didn't pick the rig up. So it went to the dump, complete with the box :(