1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Other What's ruining your life right now?

Discussion in 'General' started by TheMusician, 28 Oct 2009.

1. legoman

legoman breaker of things

I had an accident years ago which cracked off a lump of the front of the socket, it was pinned but its never been right. Partial anterior dislocation, I've had it so many times I'm used to relocating it.
    Basically I must have dropped my legs down it while on my back an tried to roll over an its popped forward an out. Joys of being faulty.

2. Kronos

Kronos Multimodder

Just been attacked by a mattress. The newer ones come rolled up and vacuum packed and are just waiting for the final snip of the scissors on the containing plastic packaging before leaping out in a desperate attempt to straighten themselves. Bloody lethal.

Dr. Coin, adidan and Guest-23315 like this.
  3. RedFlames

RedFlames ...is not a Belgian football team

I'm sorry, but that made me laugh... mental images of a Mr Bean-eqsue struggle with a mattress

MLyons, Dr. Coin and Guest-23315 like this.
  4. Dr. Coin

Dr. Coin Multimodder

Me too.

5. Gareth Halfacree

Gareth Halfacree WIIGII! Lover of bit-tech Administrator Super Moderator Moderator

My new book was supposed to launch in the UK on the 13th of November. The day came, went, and it changed to the 12th of December. Then it got pushed up to the 1st of December - progress!

Now it's the 1st of December, and Amazon's showing this:

e76e0f1b-e53b-4c09-99aa-763df5b0528d.png
    There's supposed to be a big marketing push on this tomorrow. S'no bloody good if that's the message prospective buyers'll see, is it? Add on the fact that it takes "5 weeks transit" (apparently) for copies to get from Wiley US to Wiley UK, and that's the Xmas sales period missed.

Absolutely bloody gutted. Thanks, Wiley. You're well worth the 90% of net you pocket(!)

6. RedFlames

RedFlames ...is not a Belgian football team

You'd think a big publisher like Wiley would have its **** together. Clearly not. FWIW I know having read [an admittedly not current version] of your rPi book [well it had your name on it...] you put a fair amount of effort in, so to get pissed around like that is going to suck, even by the usual freelancers-get-pissed-around standard.

Last edited: 1 Dec 2017
  7. Gareth Halfacree

Gareth Halfacree WIIGII! Lover of bit-tech Administrator Super Moderator Moderator

If I'm reading my previous emails right, they've shipped 1,400 copies into the UK. 1,400 copies of the *official* user guide - a designation I, not Wiley, worked to achieve, complete with a massive planned marketing push from the Micro:bit Educational Foundation that isn't costing Wiley a goddamn penny - into a market which was a million strong as of 2016. Oh, and getting any more copies will take five weeks - so bye-bye, Xmas sales period.

I'm absolutely spitting feathers. I can't believe Wiley's managed to waste this massive, massive opportunity. I've been working on this for a year now, and they've managed to destroy it at the very last minute. Skills.

8. Kronos

Kronos Multimodder

As I know nothing of book publishing are you telling me you only get 10% of the net?
    So for every sale you get how much?

9. Gareth Halfacree

Yup. Well, 10/12/14% tiered based on sales volume.
    The book's RRP is a fairly steep £20.99 VAT-exempt. Net is half RRP, so that's £10.495 - call it £10.50. I get 10% of that, which is £1.05; Wiley gets the remainder, £9.45.

Welcome to the wonderful world of publishing!

10. Kronos

Kronos Multimodder

Wow that certainly is an eye opener Gareth.
    How on earth does it work that the author gets so little from his work?

11. Gareth Halfacree

'cos there are a bajillion authors and a far smaller number of publishers. Self-publishing was supposed to bring balance to the force - I could stick the thing up on CreateSpace as a print-on-demand title and be making closer to 60%, with the added bonus of it never being able to go out of stock - but there's so much self-published dross you just end up lost in the noise.

When there's a large number of sellers and a small number of buyers, the buyers set the terms - hence Wiley being able to get away with taking an obscene profit off the back of its authors.

Oh, and I haven't even *started* on advances. You know when a big author signs a "$10 million five-book deal?" Yeah, that $10 million is an advance on royalties - you get it either up-front or in stages during the books' production stages, then you don't earn a single penny in royalties until you've paid the whole thing back. This is called "earning out," and the vast majority of books never actually do it.

(I'm lucky in that all my previous books have easily earned out, but that's not stopping Wiley from trying to slash the advance on the next one in half "in case it doesn't sell well." The cheeky feckers.)

Last edited: 1 Dec 2017
  12. Kronos

Kronos Multimodder

Thanks Gareth for taking the time to educate me, makes you wonder why anyone bothers?

13. MadGinga

MadGinga oooh whats this do?

Its looking likely that I will have to return to my current job for a week or two post Christmas. Rather than having a nice break over the Christmas hols to refresh and reset, I will have to endure another couple of weeks of extreme frustration and stress. Dang useless HR departments are taking their sweet time to communicate.

14. adidan

adidan Guesswork is still work

Surely with them skimming so much off you there should be some contractual obligation for them to do such and such by such a time?

Or do they have you over the proverbial because there's so much competition from authors?

Damn mate, if I had any hair left I think I'd be tearing it out on your behalf.

15. Gareth Halfacree

Hah! Hah! HAH! HAH! HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAAAAAA! <weeps>
    Yeah, pretty much. The whole thing's very one-sided (and about to get significantly more one-sided if I agree to the new contract terms on my next one - things like the 10/12/14% tiered royalties for international sales (including the UK) being dropped for a flat 10% rate...)

16. bawjaws

bawjaws Multimodder

Yeah, do you have any recourse here at all, Gareth? Sounds very much as if they've made a horse's arse of things, which is probably going to significantly financially disadvantage you. Obviously it financially disadvantages them too, but that's their fault not yours.

17. Gareth Halfacree

I mean, technically I could sue 'em, 'cos you can sue anyone for anything at any time. I wouldn't win, though, 'cos they can afford significantly better legal representation than I can - and I'd kiss goodbye to ever working with any major publishers ever again, 'cos I'd be too big a risk.

So, effectively, no. I've sent one of my typical Halfacree Brand Snotty Emails™, which exist largely to make me feel better rather than in the expectation of achieving anything, to the senior editor, and that's about as much as I can do.

There's progress, though: it's now showing as "Ships when available in 1-2 days," which is promising. I'm not holding my breath, 'cos this is the same system that said it was coming out in November then changed its mind, but it'd be nice if it were right...

18. Mr_Mistoffelees

Mr_Mistoffelees The Bit-Tech Cat. New Improved Version.

The worst panic attack of my life this morning, all thanks to the wonderful way the DWP, under Tory control, treat people with mental health problems.

19. CodyWA

CodyWA What's a Dremel?

She doesn't reply my text.
    The girl I met the other day, agreed to give me her phone number but keeps silent when I try to contact her.
    Badly want to know what is she thinking??

20. Kronos

Kronos Multimodder

Chalk it down to experience and move on.