1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Films Star Wars The Last Jedi

Discussion in 'General' started by daveypro, 12 Dec 2017.

1. Guest-16

Guest-16 Guest

I know right. Why even come into the thread.

I got me a ticket for tomorrow WOOO and when I booked on Monday almost the entire cinema was empty. At a minimum I'm just gonna enjoy it for 2 hrs of sci-fi tbh - something that recent Star Trek movies don't deliver on.
    My kids are still too young. He'll be 6 by the next one in 2019 so I can take him to that.

Yep. why not both?

2. Kronos

Kronos Multimodder

3. Kronos

Kronos Multimodder

I don't even know what pop culture means, though I suspect 'pop' is short for popular?:sigh:

Last edited: 13 Dec 2017
  4. The_Crapman

The_Crapman World's worst stuntman. Lover of bit-tech

Pop quiz hot-shot....

I wasn't looking forward to it. I thought force awakens was abysmal, but finally got round to watching rogue one this weekend and it's prestored my faith that someone can make an decent original star wars movie. I hope to god I won't be walking into revenge of the sith 2.

5. Journeyer

Journeyer Minimodder

I'll be going to see it today at 14:30 - taking a couple of hours off work in order to do so. Really looking forward to it as I'm one of the guys thinking that Disney is doing a good job of it. I'll be wearing a bib because dribbling will be unavoidable. :grin:

6. David

David μoʍ ɼouმ qᴉq λon ƨbԍuq ϝʁλᴉuმ ϝo ʁԍɑq ϝμᴉƨ

It's in cinemas where you are already? I didn't think it launched until midnight tonight.

7. wolf5ster

wolf5ster Minimodder

Just had a meltdown, thought i'd print the tickets ready. I left the confirmation in the outlook junk it's gone:sigh:. I'm going to have to get them at the ATM in the foyer now.

8. Guest-16

Guest-16 Guest

Brilliant. Yes it's no Shawshank Redemption but it's a very enjoyable experience movie. It has lots of action, very good visuals, high pace and decent acting. It's who you want to see doing what they do. It's certainly more Return of the Jedi than ESB. Don't reflect on it toooo much and you'll be fine.

9. Journeyer

Journeyer Minimodder

Though it was world premiere at the same date - 13th of december. Anyway; yes - the answer is yes. Watched it yesterday, didn't want it to end. Want to watch it again.

10. Aterius Gmork

Aterius Gmork smell the ashes

I got the same question as last year:

How's the movie for someone who doesn't love Star Wars?

I don't mind Star Wars, it's an enjoyable popcorn franchise full of plot holes and incapable engineers, but think it's way waayyy overrated. Now a few friends want me to come along but for them it's probably a pilgrimage rather than a relaxing evening.

11. stonedsurd

stonedsurd Is a cackling Yuletide Belgian

Along the same vein as aterius above, how is it relative to TFA or Rogue One?

12. Guest-16

Guest-16 Guest

More TFA than Rogue One. More focused on key characters.

13. stonedsurd

Yeah, but better than TFA or R1, or worse, or same?

14. Guest-16

Guest-16 Guest

Better than TFA in as far as it's not a story clone, better than R1 in as far as you have been following these characters since the last movie and want to see what happens. It really keeps you watching if you're a fan.

15. stonedsurd

Good to hear! Because TFA was great from the perspective of a Star Wars starved fan, but objectively not the awesomesauce we were honestly hoping for. As a set-up movie along the lines of ANH it wasn't too bad, so I'm hoping the trajectory is now firmly upward.

16. Guest-16

Guest-16 Guest

Can we talk about spoiler things?

What the **** Leya has force powers? Suddenly she can survive space and force push herself?
    Luke spends years there then just gives up at the end?

17. wolf5ster

wolf5ster Minimodder

Is it a bird is it a plane no it's Super Leia

Apart from that I really need to see it again. Overall I would give it 8/10.

Last edited: 14 Dec 2017
  18. Journeyer

Journeyer Minimodder

Well, we do know, from the previous movies and the expanded universe, that some force users do have such abilities. We also know that the force is strong in the Skywalker family, thus it is reasonable to assume that Leia does indeed have force powers, but that her use of the force is more instinctual than deliberate as she has never been trained in its use.

Edit: Although it might also be safe to assume that her brother has given her some pointers...

As for Luke; I thought it was a fitting end for the troubled old master. He was finally at peace with himself and with the force. He had made penance after having failed his student. Projecting himself half a galaxy away probably also took quite a toll, master jedi or not, and in the end he became one with the force like Obi-Wan and Yoda before him.

Last edited: 15 Dec 2017
  19. Guest-16

Guest-16 Guest

It was just presented so out of nowhere. Suddenly she's super woman flying through space and that's it? One scene and everyone carries on doesn't mention it again?

I get that. It was exhausting. But the way it was presented in film was so strange. He falls over, gets back up, sits down.. dies. Sitting up is a high energy position, it's not natural. No "I'll just take a rest then" either.

20. Journeyer

Journeyer Minimodder

Agreed. They could well have expanded a bit on this. I suspect those scenes got cut in editing due to "pacing" or something like that.

I agree with this also. It was a bit ... forced (if you'll excuse the pun), but looking beyond that - as a moment at the end of the life of the old master I found it rather fitting.