1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Photos Latest Purchases Thread: v2.0

Discussion in 'General' started by RTT, 29 Oct 2007.

1. Byron C

Byron C Multimodder

Type-C Thunderbolt to DisplayPort cable:

[​IMG]

I am sick to the back teeth of using 4K @ 30Hz. Three times I've asked for a solution for using 4K @ 60Hz on a MacBook Pro equipped with only 2x USB-C Thunderbolt gen3 ports; three times I've been given standard Apple or A. N. Other brand USB-C hubs; and three times I've said that will not work. It has to be a Thunderbolt dock/breakout box or a Thunderbolt Type-C to DisplayPort cable, those crappy little USB C dongles simply don't have the bandwidth (and always seem to wear out anyway). £10 of my own money is a small price to be able to properly use the display I stare at for eight hours a day.

2. perplekks45

perplekks45 LIKE AN ANIMAL!

Books. Lots of them. I like them. And they'll help me become a better me. At least, that's the plan.

[​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG]

Except maybe this one... this is just for fun.

[​IMG]

3. bawjaws

bawjaws Multimodder

Don't be that guy who reads The Art of War and then tries to apply it to his life. And let us know what you make of the Peterson stuff: personally I think he's a ****ing idiot.

4. perplekks45

No, The Art of War is for developing a better understanding of strategic business decisions in corporations.

And about Peterson: I guess, this is where our opinions steer in different directions. I agree with a surprisingly high percentage of what he says. And I find the book to be very good. Lots of little things that make me go "hm, so I already did that... good to know I'm not alone in doing/thinking that" or "no, that's too obviou---- oh, I know this guy/girl who does exactly that" or "yes, that's my mum's behaviour pattern". I view all of these books as a guideline to learn more about myself rather than a step-by-step guide to be the person I should be according to whoever. All these books are are opinions on ways to find more insight into what's going on in the vast part of my brain I don't use for day-to-day life. Following anybody's rules to the letter is just straight up stupid in my book. Unless they're laws and you kinda have to to avoid spending a lot of time in a small room with a hairy cellmate trying not to get raped at night.

Back to Peterson: he's a very intelligent man. Even if you don't agree with his political or socio-political views, he is just that, a very intelligent man. And he did his homework on quite a lot of issues we, as humans, have with life. Also, to be honest, if a book about rules for life written by a professor of psychology can make me smile and even chuckle on a crowded train with the anecdotal parts in his chapters, I can't deny enjoying the book, can I?

5. IanW

IanW Grumpy Old Git

I'm more interested in the Sherlock Holmes book - I don't have that one. Oh, wait... *orders*

Arboreal and perplekks45 like this.
  6. perplekks45

That's what I thought when I read about it on the Lovecraft subreddit.

IanW and Arboreal like this.
  7. Arboreal

Arboreal Keeper of the Electric Currants

Thank you for the reading matter inspiration once again @perplekks45.
    I also like the idea of the Sherlock Holmes / Lovecraft tie in, and have just ordered James Lovegrove's 'The Cthulhu Casebooks - Sherlock Holmes and the Shadwell Shadows' from the local library.
    It's the first of 3 volumes.
    Hopefully it will rescue me from the doldrums; I'm half way through Ken Macleod's Corporation Wars Trilogy and about to give up on the second book, which I have found less engaing than tha first, and that was a bit of a struggle to get through.

8. perplekks45

Happy to, mate. I read both of Lovegrove's Cthulhu v Sherlock books and have the third on pre-order. They're fun and quite well written. Not quite as good as each of the originals but definitely entertaining.

Also bought another Devolo dLAN 550+ that services my PS4 and the laptop in the living room for streaming stuff.

Arboreal likes this.
  9. samkiller42

samkiller42 For i AM Cheesecake!!

The start of my new PC build, Lian Li PC O11 Dynamic.

Sam

The_Crapman likes this.
  10. Mister_Tad

Mister_Tad Will work for nuts Super Moderator

[​IMG]

Because Lego, and fish.

Arboreal and LennyRhys like this.
  11. perplekks45

That case is beautiful...

12. LennyRhys

LennyRhys Fan Fan

Very cool!

13. David

David μoʍ ɼouმ qᴉq λon ƨbԍuq ϝʁλᴉuმ ϝo ʁԍɑq ϝμᴉƨ

[​IMG]

Just a little boost for teh laptop

Arboreal likes this.
  14. TheMadDutchDude

TheMadDutchDude The Flying Dutchman

Very nice to upgrade to! :D

15. IanW

IanW Grumpy Old Git

• An "International Driving Permit", as I may need to rent a car while on holiday in Texas week after next.
    • "A Fistful of Dollars" for same holiday.

16. MLyons

MLyons 70% Dev, 30% Doge. DevDoge. Software Dev @ Corsair Lover of bit-tech Administrator Super Moderator Moderator

Huawei P20 Pro 128GB. My first decent phone and one that isn't used.

yuusou and adidan like this.
  17. Byron C

Byron C Multimodder

• Muc-Off visor cleaner, cos I'm running out.
    • Muc-Off visor anti-fog treatment, cos my pinlock inserts don't seem to be doing squat
    • Microfibre visor cleaning cloth
    • Annual service for the bike including chain tension adjustment, because it was slacker than a prostitute's knicker elastic and I realised too late that I don't have the right tools for this bike
    Technically that last one is a lie, since I have a service plan for the bike - I already paid for it a year ago.

18. yuusou

yuusou Multimodder

2 desks, some plants, some throws, some pillows, some lamps. You've guessed it, I went to Ikea.
    A bed frame, some headlight polisher, some universal power strips, a US plug power cord, stove top coffee percolator. Amazon gubbins.

The only item worth showing off imho.
    [​IMG]

19. [ZiiP] NaloaC

[ZiiP] NaloaC Multimodder

I decided to allow myself one massive indulgence before I start a serious run on savings for building my own house: a piece of original concept art from a classic Games Workshop artists, Mark Gibbons.

[​IMG]

Waiting on delivery some time next week :)

LennyRhys and goldstar0011 like this.
  20. Guest-44432

Guest-44432 Guest

So I splashed out on the Sim rig again, and bought the Fanatec BMW GT2 Rim and some Carbon fibre snap back paddle shifters magnets.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

In case some of you are wondering what the magnets do, this video shows you.