1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Other What's ruining your life right now?

Discussion in 'General' started by TheMusician, 28 Oct 2009.

1. MLyons

MLyons 70% Dev, 30% Doge. DevDoge. Software Dev @ Corsair Lover of bit-tech Administrator Super Moderator Moderator

It turns on. Just get's stuck at the american micro or whatever logo at the top right with the rest of the screen black. Downstairs it works perfectly. Was working upstairs then mid meeting it just stopped

2. Gareth Halfacree

Gareth Halfacree WIIGII! Lover of bit-tech Administrator Super Moderator Moderator

Have you disabled PXE?

3. MLyons

MLyons 70% Dev, 30% Doge. DevDoge. Software Dev @ Corsair Lover of bit-tech Administrator Super Moderator Moderator

Not a clue. I'd highly doubt it but unless it's altitude specific it's not the cause as it has an SSD

4. Gareth Halfacree

Gareth Halfacree WIIGII! Lover of bit-tech Administrator Super Moderator Moderator

PXE is the Preboot Execution Environment, which allows a system to boot from a TFTP server on the network. It's also an easy way to hang a system for a period of time during boot, especially if it's configured to look for a TFTP server which responds on one VLAN but not on another - hence suggesting you look at disabling it, if enabled.

5. MLyons

Would that make a difference if it wasn't connected to any network upstairs and down? Wait actually. I wonder if that board has wifi on board. Although it wouldn't explain why it suddenly started happening it may be a start. Cheers, I'll have a look into it now.

6. Gareth Halfacree

Shouldn't do, no: PXE will either hang or not hang (depending on configuration and implementation) when there's no network, but if there's no network in both locations then it ain't that.
    PXE is only for wired networks - although there are a few PXE-like netboot environments that work on Wi-Fi (Apple uses one for reimaging buggered MacBooks from installation media booted on another MacBook), they're very much non-standard (or were, last time I did this kind of thing for a living.)

7. MLyons

took it downstairs and it booted. Tried it upstairs again and it worked. No idea what was going on.

8. legoman

legoman breaker of things

Something loose? We used to get issues with old P4 unit at work stopping working in transit, a good shake an they sometimes just came back to life

9. MLyons

I'll suggest to DR and Dogbert it needs bouncing down the stairs next time

Mr_Mistoffelees likes this.
  10. Vault-Tec

Vault-Tec Green Plastic Watering Can

Fell over the bed carrying the dyson the other day. Shin took the impact and is now completely yellow. Bloody low slung beds.

Oh and after a near two month break from computers I can no longer type it seems. I have to keep deleting and retyping. Practice needed...

11. Behemoth

Behemoth Timelord in training

Eldest sprog had a massive temper tantrum, I need to buy a new monitor for my PC because she lashed out pushed it over with some force. How I managed to not totally blow my temper I don't know. Sadly with other things to pay for its going to be months before I can replace it with something half decent. Really am just contemplating selling the damn PC off as parts and my laptop becomes my main rig :(

12. Weekly_Estimate

Weekly_Estimate Random bird noises.

I've been using a laptop for a main rig and it's always the same, once you have one you constantly want a desktop and vice versa

13. Nealieboyee

Nealieboyee Packaging Master!

Ouch. What monitor was it?

14. Behemoth

23 inch AOC job that a friend of mine gave me a while back. Been very happy with it and haven't really felt the need to replace it. He paid £180.00 for it. I can't even muster up £50 for something used!

15. Nealieboyee

I have a 24inch IPS monitor bought on here a while back. Never got around to using it. Yours for postage if you want it?
    Send me your address and I'll send it. We can talk postage money at a later date.

Last edited: 17 Apr 2019
  16. adidan

adidan Guesswork is still work

Generally feeling bloody awful.

That is all.

17. The_Crapman

The_Crapman World's worst stuntman. Lover of bit-tech

****ing pain. Went and met the wedding photographer today for a consultation and taster shoot. We know him and he's absolutely got the job anyway, but was so reassuring and he really put Lauren at ease and she HATES being photographed. She goes full Elvis face normally.

Anyway, sat on a rooftop terrace in the sun, beer in hand should be just pure happiness, feels like i'm being stabbed repeatedly with a knitting kneedle hooked up to a car battery. Have to use Lauren's life saver tool to cut the waist of my joggers to receive the pain, but not eliminate it. Can not take this **** anymore. Joggers were the last resort an now I'm ****ed.

18. Vault-Tec

Vault-Tec Green Plastic Watering Can

D'you know what's weird? Since I've been doing 8 lots of stairs in and out again mine has been killing me. And I had it removed 30 years ago. But it's always that same site that aches.

19. Behemoth

Thanks for the very kind offer, however I am now sorted. I replied direct to your PM. The company my Mrs works for were skipping a load of gear, she had a chat with the IT department and they let her have a 24 inch Dell job which isn't all that old so I'm all up and running again.

You sir are one generous man :)

20. Nealieboyee

Fine. FINE! DONT take it then. Lol no worries. Glad you got it sorted in the end. Offer stands if the Dell is crap compared to your AOC. :thumb: