1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Other Slight tech addiction

Discussion in 'General' started by BA_13, 21 May 2019.

1. BA_13

BA_13 Minimodder

So a slightly random thread spawned from a uncharastic moment of introspection.

I keep finding myself looking at various tech sites for the latest news on processors, RAM, GPUs etc. when I have no need or intention of upgrading my current rig which if i'm honest is massively overpowered for what it's currently used for (running a plex server streaming content at native resolution to a maximum of 3 devices over the home wifi and gaming).

When I initially specced the build I was considering returning to my engineering studies and hence built the machine accordingly (left my old 780ti GPU in it initially until we had decided that we were going to farm full time, and the RTX series was available hence no Quadro card). Therefore I have a system that does not and will not need upgrading for years yet still am drawn to articles on components that are largely either inferior or a sideways move from my current system and I find myself browsing the Scan website amongst others pricing up components I really don't need.

I'm now wondering how many other people on here have similar habits and what peoples thoughts are on what I, when I really think about it consider a waste of my time?

2. Mister_Tad

Mister_Tad Will work for nuts Super Moderator

I'll occasionally pine for something ridiculous and unnecessarily overpowered from a PC point of view, and spec out a build out of curiosity.
    Even more often with Hi-Fi and AV though. Sometimes cars too... configurators are an excellent time sink.

I call it "research"

3. Guest-44638

Guest-44638 Guest

So do I; forever got a PC wish-list on the go, somewhere... think more of us do it than freely admit it, though.

4. Mr_Mistoffelees

Mr_Mistoffelees The Bit-Tech Cat. New Improved Version.

No different to going a motoring website, eg Autocar, then reading about and lusting after cars you have no chance of being able to afford. It's completely harmless...

EDIT: I also waste much time on woodworking tool websites...

Last edited: 21 May 2019
  5. IanW

IanW Grumpy Old Git

For some reason, I currently have bookmarks for 9-10 electric car news blogs... :worried:

6. liratheal

liratheal Sharing is Caring

I'll dick around with car spec builders sometimes, although it's never going to be something I actually do (buy new, that is), so it's largely just a waste of time.

Back before my IT interest started dying I'd do the PC building too - How much could you spend, how much power could you get for how little money, what would you have to cut corners on to meet a modest budget, etc.

Pretty much done that sort of thing for all hobbies. Picking the best of the best bits for airsoft builds, working out what I want to build Lightsaber wise, which wood I want to build a guitar out of (and in which styles) and so on. Hell, I'm currently kicking around a design for a digital dashboard in case I ever get the urge (and time) to retrofit something cool into the RS..

If you were getting into debt to build things you didn't need, then I'd suggest seeking some professional mental health advice, but otherwise, I dunno. Seems like harmless fun, if it entertains you.

7. Wakka

Wakka Yo, eat this, ya?

I think it's fairly normal for anyone with a hobby/interest. My missus quite often browses the ASOS website, knowing full well she can't go on a shopping spree.

As others have said above, i'm not in the position to get a new car yet, but it doesn't stop me looking at configurators, Autotrader, reviews etc so I am up to speed when the time does come (or someone randomly transfers me a huge sum of money).

I do the same with PC's, even though I don't have the time or motivation (or space) to actually game. Even though I just stripped down and sold my bike frame, I am already musing over what will be my next ride.

8. yuusou

yuusou Multimodder

I do this with PCs (have some "builds" on pcpartpicker), I draw some boxes and circles in Paint for mods I want to make.

I shop on AutoScout24 for the few cars I'd like to have and car parts to go with them.

Do some Amazon shopping and even make Amazon lists of stuff I'll probably never get.

I even window shop houses in the locations I'd like to live in (in Amsterdam and Utrecht) on sites such as Funda. Not that I have a penny to my name for a down payment.

9. Arboreal

Arboreal Keeper of the Electric Currants

All good stuff, I think that the anticipation and planning is sometimes better than the actuality of making a purchasing or getting that latest greatest bit of lit that you need.
    Nothing better than saving up, selling some old kit, researching, musing, checking and eventually buying, to give you that satisfaction. /2p

10. DeadP1xels

DeadP1xels Social distancing since 92

All the time... occasionally I think to myself what I would get when I go car shopping again in 2-3 years time. I do it with other stuff like watches or just random things I become obsessive with houses also.

Check points for purchase
    • Realistic/Understated
    • Reliability
    • Space
    • 5 seats, 4 doors
    • Fuel efficiency
    • Cost effective (tyres, brakes, servicing)
    • between £10-£15k
    • Low mileage
    Cool... *begins looking at £150k+ Lamborginhi Huracan in lime green with 2 doors/seats, 15mpg*

The_Crapman likes this.
  11. Zoon

Zoon Hunting Wabbits since the 80s

You might want to look at deals on the Ford Focus for leasing, and lease for three years. You'll be well within your budget, and you can include all maintenance, tyres, servicing etc. You just hand it back at the end. The 1.5 150ps engine in the ST-Line is a fun drive and still very economical.

12. Guest-44638

Guest-44638 Guest

Getting that would be the easy part... being able to afford to run it - summat else.

13. IanW

IanW Grumpy Old Git

True. Most online insurance companies would be like "Phone us for a quote" which actually means "Please ring so we can laugh at you in person"

Guest-44638 likes this.
  14. The_Crapman

The_Crapman World's worst stuntman. Lover of bit-tech

I'm often browsing Axminster and dreaming of a lottery win workshop. Oh the things I'd start building, run out of talent and never finish.

Mr_Mistoffelees and Arboreal like this.
  15. damien c

damien c Mad FPS Gamer

I do this with my pc and car all the time.

If I was to win the lottery tomorrow, I would instantly have a shopping list of over £10K for the pc and over £30K for the car which seems crazy considering I could buy a car which would be better for less.

It's nice to look at the list's sometimes but then it's also a horror because it reminds you of what your life is actually like.

The one good thing I find though is that whilst I find these list's a horror mostly, I have so far controlled myself to not put myself in a situation where I would be in massive financial trouble again, something I didn't do when I turned 18 still dealing with some issues to this day because of it, but I have worked out what I need to do in order to start getting towards the point where spending £1400 a speaker system upgrade for my car would be obtainable after saving for 2 months or buying a new graphics card or ram etc.

16. Guest-44638

Guest-44638 Guest

Anyone else find that when money is tight, wish lists go nuts, but if money becomes available, you have less interest/motivation to spend it, let alone what on?

Yaka, MadGinga, IanW and 1 other person like this.
  17. Guest-44638

Guest-44638 Guest

... my current, "no pot to p*** in" thinking is ~£5k on PC(s) & between £5 & 15k on D-SLR* kit.

*my other hobby that I've shelved in favour of PC-ing.

Come the day of the windfall, I'd probably keel over & sit on it for ages, before doing anything...

Last edited by a moderator: 25 May 2019
  18. BA_13

BA_13 Minimodder

Nope, not getting into debt to build the machines and I really don't see any purchases in the near future aside from possibly a VR headset once all the farm jobs are finished........

I'm in quite a lucky position of not really wanting or having to buy anything much, aside from farm equipment which is business so doesn't really count in terms of a personal wishlist. My wishlist is more a wishlist of jobs i want to get done,
    1, tidy workshop
    2, insulate 2nd floor of workshop and turn into home cinema and games room
    3, clear all little DIY jobs from my massive list

The farm job wishlist is on a whole different scale and will take years.

It was really just the realisation of the time spent reading up on a subject purely for the sake of it when the time could possibly have been spent more productively. Of course I can also see the benefit of reading something purely for the sake of it to relax and wind down a bit as opposed to spending the time doing paperwork for the farm / DIY around the house / investigating the latest random fault caused by the electrics in a old French farmhouse.

As an aside my favourite fault found and rectified so far was the electrician using a standard 4 core cable with yellow/green, blue, grey and brown wires to bring 3 phase and neutral to the local distribution box from the main board, and then obviously forgetting that they'd used the yellow/green for a live phase and not earth, hence the earth pins were making the casing of any earthed appliance live. The earthed appliance in this case was the swimming pool circulation pump and the heat pump.