1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Case Mod - Complete ⭐ COMMODORE, hell no! its a CRE8ODORE WOLFENSTEIN YOUNGBLOOD!

Discussion in 'Project Logs' started by abbas-it, 17 Jun 2019.

1. abbas-it

abbas-it We came, we saw, we mod, you awe!

Hi guys and welcome to yet another new project. Like the QUASAR, this is commisioned and hence I will use all possibilities again.
    This time I am taking a forty year old computer, the COMMODORE CBM 8032, gutting it and replacing all the retro hardware with modern state of the art goodies.
    here are the first impressions.
    I will try to keep the overall 1979 look while adding all the new stuff into the hold and the monitore hood. The design will be slightly adapted and no, its not a commodore 8032 cbm anymore so I will change certain things.
    I have let the air be sucked back into the monitor and then cut the front glass part as a the visible picture window for later. IT will have a flat screen behind it.
    The orginaly keyboard was dead on arrival and lack certain keys like the arrows and F keys etc.. so that had to go too. I managed to find a sizeable one one that after makinga frame will fit fine.
    I also disected an old 5 1/4 inch 1.2mb floppy drive and contrived a switch for pwr on out of it. After making a new name plate it found its place behind the keyboard.

It will hold an RTX ? we will see which one. A Ryzen on a ROG ITX board and have an internal screen as well as a matching mouse n keyboard.
    More to come.
    And by the way, You can now watch me modding it every day for at 1 or 2 hours, because we are live streaming too. :)
    more to come. DSCN1246.JPG DSCN1245.JPG DSCN1243.JPG DSCN1242.JPG DSCN1248.JPG DSCN1249.JPG DSCN1250.JPG DSCN1251.JPG DSCN1252.JPG

Last edited: 21 Jun 2019
  2. abbas-it

and some pics, unfortunately I can opnly post ten at a time.
    DSCN1252.JPG DSCN1253.JPG DSCN1254.JPG DSCN1255.JPG DSCN1256.JPG DSCN1257.JPG DSCN1258.JPG DSCN1259.JPG DSCN1260.JPG DSCN1261.JPG

3. abbas-it

and the rest so far DSCN1261.JPG DSCN1262.JPG DSCN1263.JPG DSCN1264.JPG DSCN1265.JPG DSCN1266.JPG DSCN1267.JPG DSCN1268.JPG

arduum, Goatee and MLyons like this.
  4. Cheapskate

Cheapskate Insane? or just stupid?

Be careful with the CRT. The stuff inside is nasty.
    I love that you are saving the crt glass, but be prepared.

5. kim

kim hardware addict

love this project, very impressed by the fact you're keeping the cathode tube and cutting it...amazing, my TV would have look fantastic if I had the balls to do same

6. Gareth Halfacree

Gareth Halfacree WIIGII! Lover of bit-tech Administrator Super Moderator Moderator

This makes me a Sad Panda.

Vault-Tec, slimithy, Nexxo and 2 others like this.
  7. Goatee

Goatee Multimodder

Are you going to sd card mod the floppy drive? Please tell me you are!

8. abbas-it

hi guys, dont worry, i managed to survive cutting the monitor up and saving the front glass piece after grinding the rest off. had to give it a big scrub to get all the phosphoric layer off and it was an adventure listening to the air rushing in after the vacum was broken. but alls well that ends well.
    the only problem i now have is that the monitor glass is of course curved inside and i want to place a flat screen behind it.
    so i will fill a layer of resin into it to flatten it. just hope it doesnt become a magnifying lens:)
    anyway, thats the plan b and then we will take it to c d e and so forth...
    more to come.
    @ gareth, belive me, writing that line was exactly the butcher i was. from the first get go on this project i have been so emotional about taking this piece of computer history and cutting it up.
    i really didnt want to change anything. but i had to come to terms with the ´fact that i bought it as a piece of non functional hardware, practically thrown out. at least this way it will live longer than i will.
    thats the only way i can justify desecting this piece of historical computer treasure. still saddens me too though.
    1560886341755.JPEG 1560886341809.JPEG 1560886341858.JPEG 1560886341909.JPEG

Cheapskate likes this.
  9. Sa mod pc design

Sa mod pc design Minimodder

I am very curious ... But as always it will be exceptional

10. Brett89

Brett89 Minimodder

This is awesome!

Edit:This is such a cool concept, done to an extreme! off-the-shelf in a custom package without the totally custom parts!

I'm sure someone has rewired a commodore keyboard with a Teensy or something similar. If you're considering it, please post a build log here or deskthority or somewhere of the sort. I'd love to see it. I know you're going the Logitech route and I appreciate that too though!

Last edited: 19 Jun 2019
  11. abbas-it

@ brett,
    i would have loved to use the original keyb, but unfortunatley it was ramsacked. i knew that also about the pc when i bought it. it was pretty much cheaper than all those which would have been fully functional. so i actually new that it wouldnt work. the screen was dead too, and many wires and cables were missing. i needed the shell and thats what i got.
    inspite of the hardware updating and really inspite of certain changes to the whole case, i promise that everything you see at first glance will be designed as if that was the way they delivered it back in the day.
    i dont mean specs, but the way those specs look.
    am live on monday again.

arduum likes this.
  12. Brett89

Brett89 Minimodder

Bummer about the board, but I understand! I can appreciate you ripping apart a defunct one too. I'm sure it'll turn out great, your other stuff certainly has!

13. abbas-it

hi guys here is slittle mini update.
    i made some panels and fitted in some external connectors. apart from that the loudspeakers have found their final destination too.
    the blueray cover and frame is done and the gpu brackets are also ready, just waiting for the right one to arrive.
    and apart from that i feel much better now becasue the resin pour worked out as i wished and the internally concurved monitor is hardening to a inner flat screen feasible and out convex chunk of glass. i will give it over 48 hours to dure and then lets see. it very mmuch a bubbly free clear resign already, so later it can only be better.
    i love plans that work. thats casemodding for you, running from never been done before and first time doing to well that didnt or did works.
    prototyping all the time and bolday going where no modder has been before. i love it.

DSCN1269.JPG DSCN1270.JPG DSCN1271.JPG DSCN1272.JPG DSCN1273.JPG DSCN1274.JPG DSCN1275.JPG DSCN1278.JPG DSCN1279.JPG DSCN1280.JPG

14. abbas-it

not exactly no but yes exactly that.
    putting aflat screen itself would pretty much ruin the front, i want to keep that curved old crt look, but putting aflat screen on the inside where its curved away in the middle wont work, because it gets fuzzy and hazy and blurred seeing as the middle of the flat screen would be approx a cm away from the curved glass..
    7hence resin flattening. the glass front will stay. the flat screnn inside will have a frame and when off it will look like its the old regular 40 year old crt.
    this is all the first time for this, so it just running from experiment to experiment.
    everyone was saying itll be a lense or a magnifyer and i said no it wont, well now i can say, i know it isnt.
    but lets wait for the final result.
    its all better than taking the easy way home and slapping in a flatscreen which would ruin the 40 year old look in the front.
    yet is to be seen how it contracts of course when it drys

kim and Guest-44638 like this.
  15. abbas-it

oh deutsch, sehr gut

Guest-44638 likes this.
  16. MLyons

MLyons 70% Dev, 30% Doge. DevDoge. Software Dev @ Corsair Lover of bit-tech Administrator Super Moderator Moderator

Live stream modding :eek: I wonder if watching this at work would be considered work...

The_Crapman likes this.
  17. The_Crapman

The_Crapman World's worst stuntman. Lover of bit-tech

In the evening it'd be overtime too!

18. abbas-it

will have a remedy for that soon. next year we will have new rooms and more space. then we will also stream on saturdays. live streams on wirk days before work is over times isnt of course the best time. but for me thats part of my job so it happens daytime. I mean I am building anyway so why not film it.

19. Landux

Landux What's a Dremel?

For me this is proper art, congratulations!

20. Theophilus_Field

Theophilus_Field If all else fails... use the surfacing tools

Looking good so far!

Nothing quite like that early PC aesthetic :naughty:.
    Great idea to keep the font of the CRT too. It'll look so much better than a flat screen.