Other What currently makes your life awesome?

Discussion in 'General' started by Brooxy, 28 Oct 2009.

1. adidan

adidan Guesswork is still work

I've had similar experiences with Antec and Be Quiet over the years.

I think it's always been surprising to me as i've never expected to get any joy but they both came up trumps too.

silk186 likes this.
  2. bawjaws

bawjaws Multimodder

I had a similar experience with FD. The fan controller that came with my R2 was dead, I emailed them to ask if I could buy a replacement and they sent me a spare accessories box for nowt. Very impressed with their CS.

silk186 likes this.
  3. Wakka

Wakka Yo, eat this, ya?

It's definitely a good way to keep a customer!

Also, nice to have some properly spanking new hardware to oogle at:

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

The_Crapman likes this.
  4. Guest-44638

Guest-44638 Guest

5. Byron C

Byron C Multimodder

Should've seen me this morning, that was hard work! Not as young as I once was, this kind of thing is getting harder all the time!

MLyons likes this.
  6. Byron C

Byron C Multimodder

[​IMG]

Not even started day 2 of streaming yet either. <3

adidan, Vault-Tec, IanW and 2 others like this.
  7. Vault-Tec

Vault-Tec Green Plastic Watering Can

Finally got my Bose speaker. I nearly cancelled it yesterday then at 6pm it said it had shipped with DPD and it arrived this morning.

A pleasant shock. Now to find a wall bracket for it :)

8. ElThomsono

ElThomsono Multimodder

Caught a bit of Byron's charity insomnia Twitch stream: Half-Life, on the rails.

Fantastic level, designed to be dominated by the .357 magnum. Bryon was using everything but, the poor sap :lol:

I'd have happily watched the lot but I have all sorts of commitments these days :o:

Vault-Tec, Byron C and MLyons like this.
  9. xaser04

xaser04 Ba Ba Ba BANANA!

I think I am finally managing to tame this 7980XE whilst overclocked now.

4.3Ghz on on a 280mm AIO was lol 100+C central (CB R20..). Got it under custom water now (single 360mm rad) and temps only nudge into the 90's under a lengthy Blender classroom run (well lengthy compared to the Cinebench runs I was running). This is at 4.4Ghz (6c) / 4.2Ghz (12c) with 1.08v.

Temps whilst gaming barely break into the 40's so I am clearly doing something right!

Also turns out the Corsair XC7 waterclock will fit on LGA2066 if you use the Intel mounting pins from a completely unrelated Coolermaster AIO... :hehe::hehe::hehe:

Also Also this MSI X299 board has the correct Corsair RGB header for the block. I now have some RGB (all set to white of course).. Clearly adds at least 1Ghz!

I think next on the cards is seeing how low I can get the voltage before looking at lapping the IHS. I am not brave enough for de-lidding right now.

10. Byron C

Byron C Multimodder

[​IMG]

Awesome. Will post properly when I've had some sleep :thumb:

Still awake! :grin:

I was planning to take a nap today before going to bed properly this evening, but by the time I was done with lunch it was pushing 1300 - I'd be getting a crappy 3-4hrs of sleep just to wake up around 4/5pm and then have to go to bed again around 10pm to be ready for work tomorrow. Not worth it really. I'll stay awake as long as I can and as soon as I need sleep I'm staying asleep!

MLyons, Vault-Tec and IanW like this.
  11. GeorgeStorm

GeorgeStorm Aggressive PC Builder

Met up with some friends yesterday for a mock powerlifting meet. Had a great time seeing a couple of guys I hadn't seen for a couple of years, went 160/100/190, which I'm ok with considering I tweaked my back a couple of weeks ago so was unsure how I'd do. Also over the moon to have finally paused 100kg!

12. Vault-Tec

Vault-Tec Green Plastic Watering Can

I stopped by for a while too :)

Byron C likes this.
  13. ElThomsono

ElThomsono Multimodder

Yeah, I saw bits and pieces, including a youth playing sonic while Byron slacked off and the final stages of half-life where he really had a worrying preference to the quickload key in favour of blowing himself up; somehow he still overwrote a save he needed. Surprisingly good entertainment watching someone play games :hehe:

MLyons and Vault-Tec like this.
  14. silk186

silk186 Derp

My Virgin contract runs out next month. I put in 30 days notice and went from 100mb + basic TV for £32 to 200mb and no TV (streaming box) for £27 12-month contract, 18-month discount.

15. silk186

silk186 Derp

I almost wish I was still living in Reading... actually I wish I still had Hyperoptics, £45 for 1Gb down/ 1Gb up **average 900 Mbps.

16. Guest-44638

Guest-44638 Guest

Keep forgetting to find out when/if I get upgraded to 500Mbps (what my package now gets as standard)... seems they're not in as much of a hurry to hand out free upgrades these days.

17. Fingers66

Fingers66 Kiwi in London

The only catch with 500Mbps is that a) it will be unlikely that you will ever use a site that will utilise that bandwidth, b) peering will also mean that you will never utilise that bandwidth on any site, c) with VM the upload ratio is still pants, d) it will be unlikely that you will ever use a site that will utilise that bandwidth. Most useful for multiple, simultaneous internet connections from your house e.g. like mine, a busy household with Netflix, iPlayer, YouTube, Spotify, gaming etc all happening at once.

18. Guest-44638

Guest-44638 Guest

The way I see it is that if someone on the same package as me is getting 500Mbps for the same money (or less as an intro. offer) I want it as well. :)
    Many have asked if we use the full extent of the package that I/we have, and maybe we don't everyday, but within a billing cycle we do so...
    We have 2 PC's & 3 TV boxes on our connection/account, as well as the full TV package, so for the equipment use alone, I doubt we could get things any cheaper.

As far as optimal bandwidth use, how many domestic users will get the full benefit of 500Mbps? Maybe IT professionals that work at home...?
    It's now got to the point that if the minimum high-speed connections made available to the customer are in excess of what customers can conceivable use, why offer them? I doubt that two 'stay at home' 50+ adults could optimally use 50Mbps, but the equipment/services we have don't make cheaper packages economically viable.

19. perplekks45

perplekks45 LIKE AN ANIMAL!

The only real scenario I can see to actually push our current connections are lossless 4K/8K BluRay-quality streams. But why would you want that, to be entirely honest? I'm on a 100 Mbit/s down connection and it's been more than enough for my use. Sure, I could go for 400 Mbit down, but what's the point? I don't even own a 4K TV.

Then again, going all fiber all the way might help with the one thing I don't really like about my connection: ping. Now that is something I'd like to see, but investment in that area is slower and lower than I want it to be. I do, however, understand why that is the case and, to be fair, I'm fine with it.

20. Mr_Mistoffelees

Mr_Mistoffelees The Bit-Tech Cat. New Improved Version.

What has age got to do with it? I'm 55, my wife is older than me and we both make big downloads that take a frustratingly long time, over 70GB to reinstall TESO for example. Faster is good, regardless of age, providing it is affordable.

goldstar0011 likes this.