1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Other What's ruining your life right now?

Discussion in 'General' started by TheMusician, 28 Oct 2009.

1. Pete J

Pete J Employed scum

Went in to get a quick tyre repair (rogue nail) and ended up having to get new front tyres too as the old ones were on the limit.

Not exactly life ruining, but money that could've gone towards something more fun, not to mention I've had to wait around while they're fitted.

2. BA_13

BA_13 Minimodder

Nearby lightning strike appears to have taken out the oven and all the Ethernet ports on my orange supplied modem router. On the plus side somehow the modem itself, phone and wifi is still working so I do have internet and no other equipment appears to be damaged. Another surprising side effect is that the speed has gone from 3 to 4.25 Mb/s.

Now back to chainsawing the plum tree that fell last night, narrowly missing the swimming pool.

3. MLyons

MLyons 70% Dev, 30% Doge. DevDoge. Software Dev @ Corsair Lover of bit-tech Administrator Super Moderator Moderator

well obviously. You've got more power :rollingeyes:

perplekks45 likes this.
  4. Gareth Halfacree

Gareth Halfacree WIIGII! Lover of bit-tech Administrator Super Moderator Moderator

This saga...
    Has finally come to a close: several hundred sheets later, the flashing light went on solid and it refused to print any more. Found the spare full-set toners that came with it, swapped out the black, and it's back up and running - nearly a year after it first started warning me of low toner.

I chuffin' love laser printers. Looking at Morgan Computers' IJT arm, who sold me the printer in the first place with two full sets of remanufactured toners, it's £72 for a full set. There are sets for £15(!) on Amazon, but some of the reviews claim they've only got a teeny-tiny bit of toner in 'em. Probably worth sticking with Morgan, given how long the first set of theirs lasted!

adidan likes this.
  5. kim

kim hardware addict

I totally empathise, I used to live in Paris, pumping me full of anti-dep pills to handle anxiety and stress, I moved to this quiet countryside place 10 years ago, and since, breathing fresh air and eating healthy food, and I must say it has been the healthiest approach, after few years, I stopped pills and well, I manage without it, more or less depending of days but without meds...

Vault-Tec likes this.
  6. yuusou

yuusou Multimodder

I'm quite the opposite. I currently live in a fairly quiet small town. It drives me insane. No anonymity, nothing to do, people always looking and judging. Man, I miss living in the centre of Amsterdam. The tram bells going off at 6am onwards, the hustle, the anonymity, all the available services and commodities. No one cares who you are, what you look like, what you believe in. It brought me more peace of mind.

kim likes this.
  7. Almightyrastus

Almightyrastus On the jazz.

That's one of the things that a lot of my clients don't seem to get when it comes to lightning and protecting their equipment. A lightning strike can affect electrical and electronic systems for up to a kilometer away from the strike and the strike doesn't even have to have a ground connection. Cloud to cloud strikes can be just as damaging especially to overhead lines due to the electrical fields generated around them. Most of the time what happens is just as you have found, a bit here and there gets knocked out (unless we are talking direct strikes) and that is normally as a result of being worn down and being degraded over time before the "surge that breaks the camel's back". It'd be fairly safe to say that the rest of the bits and pieces that are working are not as resilient as they were before.

We need to have a new distribution board fitted at some point as the smart meters that we are continually being pushed towards are incompatible with our current one for some reason. Once that goes in, I shall be taking the advice of the current lightning protection standard and fitting hard-wired surge protection devices to all lines that are entering or leaving the building. Thankfully easy enough to do on a domestic building with only the power, telephone, and cable tv/internet connection being needed. We have been lucky so far considering that Nottingham has quite a high strike density (for the UK) and we are pretty high up too.

MLyons likes this.
  8. Vault-Tec

Vault-Tec Green Plastic Watering Can

I have the best of both. I live in a town 7 floors up so no one knows I'm even there and I'm on a direct path to the local night club so I get to listen to people of a weekend.

Two girls had a cracking punch up a couple of months back.

Then when I need peace I head inland to mum's which is in a tiny village with just a quiet country pub.

You can be anonymous anywhere dude. Simply don't speak to people.

Lessons learned from my past. Everywhere I went in London people would call out my name and want to talk etc. Sod that. I've really kept myself to myself as I got older.

9. BA_13

BA_13 Minimodder

Yep defiantly not a direct hit, very minor surge so a strike near the power lines but within 360 metres of us I'd guess. The only piece of kit not powered from a "surge" protected UPS (fully aware that it will offer zero protection in the event of a power line strike) in the office was the modem router, lesson learnt adaptor from C14 to europlug ordered already.

Surprisingly upon visiting the local Orange shop I discover that there is a self service automatic tester for all their modems at the back of the shop, simply plug in the offending piece of kit, follow onscreen instructions and at the end you get a ticket that you hand to a member of staff and they exchange for a new modem. I mean it still took an hour but by french standards that was express service, we British have got nothing on the french when it comes to queuing patiently. As for the oven it was in the property when we moved in and had been a little temperamental before so not to annoyed to have to replace it and it was made in 1996.

Almightyrastus likes this.
  10. David

David μoʍ ɼouმ qᴉq λon ƨbԍuq ϝʁλᴉuმ ϝo ʁԍɑq ϝμᴉƨ

The first nice weather to coincide with my day off in AGES. The perfect opportunity to go wandering with my Mavic...

..and I'm sick. :miffed:

11. adidan

adidan Guesswork is still work

EVERYBODY PANIC!!!!!!

[​IMG]

Hex and The_Crapman like this.
  12. Arboreal

Arboreal Keeper of the Electric Currants

Budgerigar! Such disappoint, it's been SO windy and a calm day has been rare.
    I did take my Mavic out on Sunday at a less gusty moment, but still had strong wind warnings.
    I managed to photograph and video the other end of the flood plain in Christchurch, as it's too far to do all of it VLOS.
    Hope you recover soon, and fingers crossed for good weather too.
    I'll try and post some pics on the drone page, but amd pressed for time this week.

13. The_Crapman

The_Crapman World's worst stuntman. Lover of bit-tech

New pj bottoms I ordered turn up, material seems really nice, yeh these look like they'll be nice and comfy, oh they're ginormous. How the? Well it says they're XXL, that's definitely the size I need. *check website* Ooooh. American XXL. Balls. :sigh: Honestly the trouble I've had getting some new pj bottoms that aren't £30 a pop is mental. I just want to be comfy dam it!!! :waah:

adidan likes this.
  14. Vault-Tec

Don't knock it. I've bought one thing in the past two years that is XXL. Usually they're XXL alright, extra extra long. Come down to my knees yet tight AF.

Pjs should be enormous !!

15. adidan

adidan Guesswork is still work

Finding suitable comfies is an underrated stress in life I find.

16. The_Crapman

Yes they should be big, that's point 1 f comfortrons, but they also shouldn't fall down when I stand up. :eeek:

Why do shops assume the want to be comfortable goes away after Christmas?

17. Vault-Tec

lol mine do that. Usually when I'm half way up the stairs carrying loads of stuff hahahaha

18. The_Crapman

Yeh these did that even after gathering up the strings as much as I could, which then also negated the point of elasticated waistband being more comfortable. And that was before adding keys and phone to pockets.

19. IanW

IanW Grumpy Old Git

Add braces? :p

20. The_Crapman

Lauren would be forever twanging them, she'd find it indefinitely hilarious. I'd have permanent bruises and would look like I wore braces on the beach. (Like I'd ever go to a beach :rollingeyes:)

adidan, Vault-Tec, IanW and 1 other person like this.