1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

The Coronavirus Thread

Discussion in 'Serious' started by d_stilgar, 13 Mar 2020.

1. Goatee

Goatee Multimodder

Quoting for truth. The issue was not that there was not enough stock in the supply chain but that it was in the wrong place, i.e. not at point of sale but at hub / spoke dc's. There is little flex in a JIT supply chain to allow surge resupply to all the customer facing locations.

2. Fingers66

Fingers66 Kiwi in London

As mentioned in passing by Gareth, if you have a LTD company and pay yourself a small salary then take dividends, you will need to claim via the company/employee route.

If your PAYE salary is small, any eventual relief will be as well.

HMRC haven't wanted the plebs to utilise this perfectly legal renumeration method since 2000, when IR35 was introduced by Gordon Brown (after lobbying by the large cheap labour suppliers), there is no way in hell they are going to offer any kind of relief to dividend earners. To be honest, even though I am currently one of them, I don't think they should - imagine all the millionaires claiming relief on the loss of their dividends.

Last edited: 26 Mar 2020
    adidan likes this.
  3. Nexxo

Nexxo * Prefab Sprout – The King of Rock 'n' Roll

"I didn't get the email." About as believable as: "The dog ate my homework."
    Good luck with that...

4. faugusztin

faugusztin I *am* the guy with two left hands

Meanwhile US overtook China in number of cases.

5. Shirty

Shirty W*nker! Super Moderator

6. bawjaws

bawjaws Multimodder

If you want to have a look at the numbers in a bit more detail, check out http://91-divoc.com/pages/covid-visualization/

You can see number of cases, deaths, new cases per day, and either in total or per capita. And you can switch the scale from log to linear if you want to scare yourself.

7. David

David μoʍ ɼouმ qᴉq λon ƨbԍuq ϝʁλᴉuმ ϝo ʁԍɑq ϝμᴉƨ

I don't watch a lot of TV, nor do I spend any time on social media sites, so I was a wee bit surprised to discover a bunch of neighbours out in the street, cheering and clapping.

I appreciate our health service workers - my sister is one and my mother was until she retired last year - but what sappy ******** is this? Neither of them would have any interest in people clapping and cheering in the street - I can see my sister cringing at the thought.

8. RedFlames

RedFlames ...is not a Belgian football team

Is coronavirus not bad enough? Do we need to be giving the NHS the clap as well?

ModSquid and Arboreal like this.
  9. TheBlackSwordsMan

TheBlackSwordsMan Over the Hills and Far Away

I've learnt that the Orange-in-Chief want to deploy the army on the US/CANADA border. Some kind of political move to give the impression that he's protecting his subjects?
    It's not as if Canadians will try to escape the virus by fleeing to the US.

10. RedFlames

RedFlames ...is not a Belgian football team

Probably to stop Americans fleeing to a country with a working health system.

11. Arboreal

Arboreal Keeper of the Electric Currants

I liked the fact that a load of people came out of their houses and expressed solidarity with each other and NHS staff. My Dad particularly went out as his neighbour is a GP. Soppy? Maybe, but some cohesion and breaking isolation

wolfticket likes this.
  12. GeorgeStorm

GeorgeStorm Aggressive PC Builder

Got an actual issue with it? Something wrong with being 'sappy'?
    Seems unnecessarily negative.

13. adidan

adidan Guesswork is still work

It did make my good lady feel a bit uncomfortable. I mean she could see the intent behind it but you can't help how you feel.

Mind you getting free things, or should I say being offered free things, has made her feel a bit funny too - she's been avoiding taking much or anything tbh, knowing that there are people in greater need out there.

But then she's a frickin hero.

14. Byron C

Byron C Multimodder

I appreciate the sentiment that people are expressing.

I find the whole idea weird and uncomfortable TBH, but that's just me. But the worst part is that if people really want to support and appreciate the NHS then why in the name of **** do we keep voting in a party that wants to tear it to the ground?

15. liratheal

liratheal Sharing is Caring

Yeah, that's my take on it.

The closest I've experienced is when a customer server craps its pants and the customer is your best mate, promising to buy a new x,y,z, pay you for your time and so on - But before it went pop, and the instant it's working again, they couldn't give a **** about IT bills, or preventative maintenance, or reasonable replacement schedules.

16. oscy

oscy Modder

People are being really proactive now.

First we put a sad emoji on a status about people dying, then we put a French flag on our profile picture, then we took pictures of ourselves with concealer I mean no makeup to fit in I mean to raise awareness of a little-known condition called cancer. Now we're actually stepping out our house and making noises. Imagine what we could achieve in 5 years. MAKE FIRE!

Nealieboyee and MLyons like this.
  17. VipersGratitude

VipersGratitude Multimodder

18. edzieba

edzieba Virtual Realist

Well lets look at your original point:
    This is not really the case: miss regular fertiliser distribution and yes, crops WILL reduce yields, up to potentially an order of magnitude drop. Getting 1/10 if your expected crop output would definitely not be something you can shrug off when everyone else is in the same boat. Can't import from an unaffected nation when there are no unaffected nations.

Just In Time production and delivery isn't just something that car makers do. It's how global production and distribution works now. There aren't big stockpiles of vital essentials sitting in warehouses 'just in case'.

19. Fingers66

Fingers66 Kiwi in London

So BoJo has coronavirus, how long before the whole of the cabinet reports the same?

20. adidan

adidan Guesswork is still work

Well no reports on Herr Cummings so the Government will carry on as it has been.