1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Graphics Nvidia 3xxx series thread

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by The_Crapman, 6 Jun 2020.

1. Osgeld

Osgeld Minimodder

So bait and switch

2. Vault-Tec

Vault-Tec Green Plastic Watering Can

I think the term artificially inflated is more apt here. Why are cards that are sold as 1710mhz cards even boosting in the driver to over 1900mhz in the first place? and still doing so even with this "fix"?

Is it because they don't look so good at 1710mhz?

3. Vault-Tec

Vault-Tec Green Plastic Watering Can

4. Osgeld

Osgeld Minimodder

I really didnt mean to shitbag zotac, they have been a decent brand of cards ... kind of like if Acclaim was making pc hardware that's zotac, but a lot of the AIB's got short shafted and MLCC's (multi layer ceramic capacitor) are things that are stupid cheap, but you have to plan for in volume, cause lets face it, your buying them for less than one US cent ... with at least 5 markup's tween raw and in your hand

Suppliers are not making MLCC's for giggles, you have to forecast them like 18 months in advance ... so spec says (number out of my ass) 10uf to suppress the EMI problem, cool great we can slap a bunch of 1uf tant's that no one in serious industry will touch so there's a glut (cause fire n ****) in paralell and call it a day, not knowing there's some weird spike in the 100mhz band that causes the supervisor in the GPU to crap its pants and slap its wife

I have have had this problem before back when I was a design engineer, and now that I am a test engineer, oh yea a 220nf ceramic cap at this location nails down your EMC violation so you can pass blah blah blah bullcrap just in case someone runs a shortwave radio and your tail light flickers for 200ms... and its a 5 month battle to get in the pipeline cause NO ONE, wants to make MLCC's cause they make 0.001 cent a pop on them.

5. Bloody_Pete

Bloody_Pete Technophile

6. The_Crapman

The_Crapman World's worst stuntman. Lover of bit-tech

I'm pretty sure AIB's didn't know sli was being culled from the 3080 till really late. It's particularly telling on the gigabyte eagle where the cooler isn't as tall where the NV link should be and the backplate is missing a chunk there too.

Maybe it was a last minute decision by Nvidia too? Although the 3090 is a "pro-sumer workstation card", it would have been a hard sell to the enthusiast crowd when 2 3080s could be had for the same price or less.

Bloody_Pete likes this.
  7. Bloody_Pete

Bloody_Pete Technophile

I think they didn't want any leaks so were keeping people guessing right to the end...

8. The_Crapman

Good job Nvidia
    [​IMG]

Bloody_Pete likes this.
  9. Bloody_Pete

Bloody_Pete Technophile

Now seeing it was exactly correct, I doubt those were leaks :p

10. The_Crapman

The original pics we got that were:
    :worried::hehe::hehe::hehe::lol:

It's very odd how soooo much was leaked ahead of time. It would not surprise me in the least if they were part of a planned and calculated hype train marketing campaign.

Bloody_Pete likes this.
  11. liratheal

liratheal Sharing is Caring

I mean, using this thread as a metric it sure got a lot of us talking about it.

12. The_Crapman

The 'sold out in seconds' is probably the metric they were after. lol

13. liratheal

liratheal Sharing is Caring

Pff, companies that're around mostly to make money are surely more interested in the back and forth on an English tech forum! :p

14. Guest-44432

Guest-44432 Guest

Imagine the price hikes of the next gen consoles if Nvidia got their greedy hands in there... Makes me think, this could be part of Nvidias plan for the consoles following on from PS5 and Xbox, with buying ARM.
    If they can produce good CPU's, where they have about 7yrs to do this, they could protentionally steal the console market from AMD, and produce the hardware for those future consoles.

Food for thought.

The_Crapman likes this.
  15. Anfield

Anfield Multimodder

Doubt it because unlike Consoles the Enterprise market already has the profit margins that Jensen thinks look good in a little black dress... so the Enterprise market is where he will focus.

16. Bloody_Pete

Bloody_Pete Technophile

Will? They've been focussed on it for several yeears, in fact they made more money from enterprise than consumeer last year or earleir this year for the first time. You can't run Geforce or Titan cards in datacentres (the EULA forbids the driver to be installed there), so you bet they're after those huge revenues!

17. Guest-44432

Guest-44432 Guest

I think it makes perfect sense, as the overall goal is to sell to the mass market.

Human nature is, we always want more. Nvidia's goal is the same, Greed.

Bloody_Pete likes this.
  18. Bloody_Pete

Bloody_Pete Technophile

And Tesla's prices vs Geforce's prices for more or less the same performance is insane!

19. Gareth Halfacree

Gareth Halfacree WIIGII! Lover of bit-tech Administrator Super Moderator Moderator

Some of that comes from using ECC memory, I believe. But not all.

20. Anfield

Anfield Multimodder

I just don't think Sony or Microsoft would be willing to pay a big fat Nvidia tax for some ARM Cpus to put in consoles, so those Nvidia ARM Cpus will end up in the Enterprise market instead.